This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    And the balance of society rates religion as even more highly important.

It appears your argument works against your point.
    Roughly half of all people have below average intelligence, and average ain't exactly great.

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      And the balance of society rates religion as even more highly important.

It appears your argument works against your point.
      Yes, people with less education are more likely to believe in the supernatural ghosts and zombies. Consider me surprised.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Roughly half of all people have below average intelligence, and average ain't exactly great.
        80% say its at least fairly important. Not average by any math I know.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Those post graduates include a lot of MBA degrees. Just saying.
        Yes, people with less education are more likely to believe in the supernatural ghosts and zombies. Consider me surprised.
        And college grads are right in the pack. What's wrong with them?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        As can clear, logical, secular humanist thinking.
        Are you referring to thinking such as that above?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Holding a majority opinion doesn't make one right. It just means more people agree with you. Congratulations on most people being wrong.

Also, saying something is fairly important doesn't mean you're in agreement, it can mean a variety of things. I think religion is at least fairly important because if I were to go around badmouthing Zombie Jesus to the masses, I wouldn't make very many friends in this country, would I?
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Depending on the skew of the distribution it could very well be average...but then again...that is an early lesson in statistics
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Are the previous arguments really worth abandoning?

Holding a majority opinion doesn't make one right. It just means more people agree with you. Congratulations on most people being wrong.
              Trying to track with this new line of reasoning...

Your new claim is that religion is not important in society? What facts can you provide that outweigh 80% of society saying it is?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Those post graduates include a lot of MBA degrees. Just saying.
                Do we even consider business degrees to be college degrees, let alone post-graduate?

Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Are the previous arguments really worth abandoning?

Trying to track with this new line of reasoning...

Your new claim is that religion is not important in society? What facts can you provide that outweigh 80% of society saying it is?
                  I'm confused at your confusion.
                  1) I said that holding a majority opinion does not make your opinion correct. The majority of people believe in magic from a deity that likes to occasionally commit genocide in the name of love( ). I say they were stories told to keep the natives in line, giving them hope, and tricking them into making more little people so that their tribe could grow to, hopefully, someday become the dominant force in their known world.

2 (from another post) ) Saying religion is important isn't the same as claiming adherence to it. I'm not an adherent to any religion, but I'm also not going out into public to profane anybody's invisible friend - I save that for this place. Why? Because I don't see a need to rile up the average dunderheads who might be willing to bomb me, or shoot me, or torch a small wooden structure in effigy that sits upon my front lawn, or hang me. So I would answer that religion is important to me - because of the irrationality of others. I'm not alone in this line of thinking, and therefore I don't believe that the 80% figure is adherence to a religion. There's a group of people who simply recognize its misplaced importance in the lives of others, and therefore call it a significant force in society.

Comment

I'm confused at your confusion.
                    1) I said that holding a majority opinion does not make your opinion correct. The majority of people believe in magic from a deity that likes to occasionally commit genocide in the name of love( ). I say they were stories told to keep the natives in line, giving them hope, and tricking them into making more little people so that their tribe could grow to, hopefully, someday become the dominant force in their known world.
                    I'm not wasting my time addressing the 'just because the majority thinks its right, doesn't make its true' comment...as I didn't the first time.

2 (from another post) ) Saying religion is important isn't the same as claiming adherence to it.
                    Who said anything about adherence?

You said:

This in reference to a poll and commentary saying 80% call 'religion important'. So it appears your position is that religion is not really important in society.

So I would answer that religion is important to me - because of the irrationality of others. I'm not alone in this line of thinking, and therefore I don't believe that the 80% figure is adherence to a religion. There's a group of people who simply recognize its misplaced importance in the lives of others, and therefore call it a significant force in society.
                    So then you agree...religion is important. Well that was a lot of work.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

So ala carte Christianity goes hand in hand with ala carte reading comprehension. So much for that, Mr. Magoo.

Comment

Remind me to never p-ss you off.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Do we even consider business degrees to be college degrees, let alone post-graduate?

Blanket scientist is potential broad.

As in hoping sociologist isn’t included
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Blanket scientist is potential broad.

As in hoping sociologist isn’t included
                            Sociologists would be included in the red column -- we all pray to either Durkheim, Marx, or Weber.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A Jesuit is unhappy with Dumpy.

Naked cruelty, sheer stupidity and gross incompetence lead to the disgraceful mistreatment of these children. We treat our pets better than this. But that's no surprise: migrants and refugees have for so long been described as animals. The sin here is immense.

Here we see the malign effects of such a grave grave sin. Motivated by selfishness (Go back where you came from!), magnified by cruelty (They got what's coming to them!), cloaked in lies (We didn't say that!), we see the results: physical suffering, misery, confusion, despair.

And, finally, people refusing to take responsibility, denying complicity and passing on blame, completes the portrait of sin. But all involved in this--from the president to those who are taking children away from their parents--are cooperating in evil.

Until the last child is returned to his or her parents, the sin will remain. Even then, all those involved in this will have to beg forgiveness from God. Because in the fullness of time, the ones in trouble will not be the migrants. It will be those who sinned against them.
                              I have no doubt our conservative Catholic posters will renounce their support for Dump and the GOP in order to reassert their belief in justice, kindness, morality, and Christian virtues.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 06-21-2018, 11:39 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                A Jesuit is unhappy with Dumpy.

I have no doubt our conservative Catholic posters will renounce their support for Dump and the GOP in order to reassert their belief in justice, kindness, morality, and Christian virtues.
                                What the Jesuit has said is unimportant and we do not hear his words.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X