X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Shame he never played for the Devils.
    On the Playstation NHL games I had, I always traded for him.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Nah, Satan was just a decent goal scorer who left the league about 8 years ago.
      Not bad.

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Back to religion:

Yesterday, I was in a car accident, and it clearly was my fault. I got no sleep Monday night, and by the time I left work Tuesday afternoon, I was dead tired. I nodded off, and I rear ended someone. I clearly accept responsibility for this. When speaking to a friend, she said "it was the enemy... they cause you to make poor decisions."

So, it was Satan's fault I got behind the wheel when I had no business driving?
      Satan is a construct that is the natural opposite of God/Jesus. While its in the Bible as that, IMO it really serves no value to have Satan play any kind of role in one's active faith. Having Satan play a role in your journey is like focusing yourself in the morning on...'must not walk to work' when work is 20 miles away.

Paying any attention to Satan in best case distracts one from the Word itself...and in worst case, turns you into something that is 'against' things rather than 'for' things. And the latter is what Jesus is about.

And on that note, apparently I need new friends. At least ones who don't blame "the enemy" when they or someone they know makes a boneheaded decision that leaves harsh consequences.
      That incident is a data point or a symptom...which obviously doesn't mean that this person is bad. But its not an encouraging sign. You'll know if its right to move on.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Not bad.

Satan is a construct that is the natural opposite of God/Jesus. While its in the Bible as that, IMO it really serves no value to have Satan play any kind of role in one's active faith. Having Satan play a role in your journey is like focusing yourself in the morning on...'must not walk to work' when work is 20 miles away.

Paying any attention to Satan in best case distracts one from the Word itself...and in worst case, turns you into something that is 'against' things rather than 'for' things. And the latter is what Jesus is about.

That incident is a data point or a symptom...which obviously doesn't mean that this person is bad. But its not an encouraging sign. You'll know if its right to move on.
        I told her I was eating the responsibility, and to pass the hot sauce. She just remained silent. No hot sauce was passed.

In terms of Satan/"the enemy," always a convenient scapegoat. The moment I hit that car, I had all the responsibility. The moment I got caustic chemicals on my face at work, I had all the responsibility. And I knew it. And I also knew when I was severely depressed, it was my own brain/anxiety/depression, not the "enemy" telling me I was worthless. Since hormones, that voice is extinct.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I told her I was eating the responsibility, and to pass the hot sauce. She just remained silent. No hot sauce was passed.

In terms of Satan/"the enemy," always a convenient scapegoat. The moment I hit that car, I had all the responsibility. The moment I got caustic chemicals on my face at work, I had all the responsibility. And I knew it. And I also knew when I was severely depressed, it was my own brain/anxiety/depression, not the "enemy" telling me I was worthless. Since hormones, that voice is extinct.
          And sadly not just a scapegoat, but a natural path to shift blame to others. Kinda seems to encourage behavior that's the opposite of the golden rule. Truly...satan be gone.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Today, I was grateful for the community of Grace. At "the peace," I held onto a few people for a few seconds. Everyone understood; someone told me "you've had a rough time."

Comment

Today, I was grateful for the community of Grace. At "the peace," I held onto a few people for a few seconds. Everyone understood; someone told me "you've had a rough time."
              Awesome.

Tonight someone said that they felt bad for 'using God' to further personal improvement. My opinion was/is that can be a really great thing depending on what and how its done. I think that's part of the deal - get the most out of Him (and others who represent Him) as long as its for what you need. The Bible is one pretty amazing toolbox if used appropriately - and the right people are an extension of that.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Today, we read from Mark about the Rich Young Man. ("Sell your possessions and follow Me.")

That made a whole bunch of parishioners squirm today.

Comment

Today, we read from Mark about the Rich Young Man. ("Sell your possessions and follow Me.")

That made a whole bunch of parishioners squirm today.
                  They should. And so should I and so should you if you were at that stage of your faith.

The message here is 'selling your possessions' really means giving up everything (not just possessions but free time, comfort, friendships, etc.) to do the the right thing, golden rule, etc. I'm not saying any of us necessarily should...but that's what its about.

I took a Stanley Kaplin course to pass an MBA entrance test. I first took an example test in the SK course and got blown out. I took it again and did worse. I panicked and worked harder. The last example test I took before the real test - I barely got a passing grade. So when I went to take the real MBA entrance test - it was super easy and I blew it away. I had the option of getting into any college because of it.

Jesus also sets the bar super high - probably higher than anyone can reach. And because of that...its not black or white if we are great or terrible for actually giving away all we possess. Let's just work in that direction of making some sacrifices - that's an improvement and if we're motivated, it can be a big improvement. Its one approach to motivate us to do the best we can.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."- Mr. Noling, my high school government teacher

"Saturday night is when you sin, and Sunday is when you regret."- Adam Duritz, lead singer of the Counting Crows

Now I see how endurance became religion for me. I stopped attending church, neglected my support system, got so caught up in training that it became obsession, a chore... instead of sweet release. I lost sight of the main thing. Physical problems are the price I paid for this obsession, including sciatica and ankles that hurt every so often. Not to mention loneliness because I was busy with racing that I forgot about everything else.

Comment

RICO - Boom!

@roccopalmo: SCOOP: From the “Forget Memphis” Desk – as Federal grand jury into Pennsylvania Church begins, USCCB forwards Justice Department “Hold Letter” urging all 198 US dioceses to not “destroy, discard, delete or alter” personnel files... and more: http://bit.ly/2yzhdZg https://twitter.com/roccopalmo/statu...513728/photo/1
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        RICO - Boom!

@roccopalmo: SCOOP: From the “Forget Memphis” Desk – as Federal grand jury into Pennsylvania Church begins, USCCB forwards Justice Department “Hold Letter” urging all 198 US dioceses to not “destroy, discard, delete or alter” personnel files... and more: http://bit.ly/2yzhdZg https://twitter.com/roccopalmo/statu...513728/photo/1
                        I have that same type of order on me. If your organization has something legal action against it, it's a common tool used. Maybe even standard process. It's just a matter of scope.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just happy to be attending a church where the rector's a lesbian, the assistant is gay, and I'm fully embraced. In fact, we have quite a few LGBT at our parish.

Comment

Just happy to be attending a church where the rector's a lesbian, the assistant is gay, and I'm fully embraced. In fact, we have quite a few LGBT at our parish.
                            You have to have at least one Republican to be truly diverse. What's light without the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              You have to have at least one Republican to be truly diverse. What's light without the dark?
                              Interesting...assuming your serious. It may be dependent where she is on her walk. But I know that I've tried to get involved in some rural small groups knowing that success could result in strengthening and maximum learnings for all involved. My one attempt was of mixed success.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Interesting...assuming your serious. It may be dependent where she is on her walk. But I know that I've tried to get involved in some rural small groups knowing that success could result in strengthening and maximum learnings for all involved. My one attempt was of mixed success.
                                Well, you know what got the fire burning again? This talk from small minded individuals about "God is blocked by a school door." I knew that wasn't right. If God is blocked by a school door, that means God is fallible. If God is fallible, there is no reason to sing "How Great Is Our God" or "How Great Thou Art," there is simply no reason to have a church or the faith itself.

And as I walked on through, reflecting on the Apostles' and Nicene creeds, and going back through the scripture I have read... I realized I was angry and hurt by the church itself. When I met the Episcopalians, I found believers who lived what they believed. Where I'm at now, it doesn't matter that I'm out of the closet, it doesn't matter that I'm an economic rung or two down the ladder (my pastor is of humble means herself), and I realized that I am loved for who I am.

As for where I am now... it's like I've been told "welcome home. I missed you. Dinner's on the table and ice cream's in the freezer. Help yourself."

Comment

Working...
                                X