Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How were they aable to serve beer in St. Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How were they aable to serve beer in St. Paul?

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    The NHL team is taking a hit already, because that means that it's sacrificing home dates at a crucial time of the NHL schedule.
    I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Sure, they don't close the season out at home, but they still got those home games, likely the week prior. That's still a crucial time.

Comment

Same thing with the Beanpot. It is (or maybe was) an NCAA-sponsored tournament issue.

Personally, I'm glad to see it. I actually supported it at one time, because I thought it was a minor inconvenience that made sure that you wouldn't have a bunch of drunks sitting behind you. Also it use to me separate admission, so that if you wanted to, you could go grab a beer between games. But with the current setup, where you either can't leave the arena, and/or there isn't time, and you pretty much have to eat in the arena, it's a much bigger deal.
      They sell alcohol at the Beanpot and Hockey East.

Comment

Didn't pay close attention in Worcester, and I never used the concessions, but I'm pretty sure that beer wasn't being sold...
        I was in Wustah and neither beer nor any other alcoholic beverages were being sold, so far as I could tell.

Speaking only for myself, while I do like my beer (Sam, please) and have an affection for bourbon (make it Maker's) I really can't get particularly exercised over whether or not beer and other adult beverages are sold at college sports events. Unless you're way out in the hinterlands, there are almost always a few watering holes within easy reach of the arenas to quench your pre- and post-game thirsts, and I'm frankly not crazy about hordes of immature college kids (I used to be one) getting drunked-up and killing the legitimate fun.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
          Well they weren't this season, neither Worcester nor Boston (men's hoops) was selling alcohol. I would've thought the Garden would've jumped on that opportunity, maybe there was an issue with the logistics of it but I can't imagine any reason why they couldn't have opened the beerstands
          Try re-reading the bold:
          Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          Because the NCAA changed its policy on alcohol sales. Here are two articles I found when I Googled it: You Could Be Sipping on Beer and Wine at the NCAA Final Four as Soon as Next Season and NCAA rule changes may lead to beer, wine sales at finals events in Detroit. The Crain's article is interesting because it mentions how much OSU made selling beer at home football games.

Sean
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
            They sell alcohol at the Beanpot and Hockey East.
            Agree. I was responding to the post that noted that they sold beer at the HE tournament. The alcohol prohibition applies/applied to NCAA sponsored tournaments, not necessarily to tournaments sponsored by non-NCAA entities that had NCAA participants.

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            ... Unless you're way out in the hinterlands, there are almost always a few watering holes within easy reach of the arenas to quench your pre- and post-game thirsts, and I'm frankly not crazy about hordes of immature college kids (I used to be one) getting drunked-up and killing the legitimate fun.
            I used to feel that way about the college kids, but I don't any more. For one thing, as you point out there are generally places to drink pre-game. The crowd at both the regionals and more so the finals are mostly middle aged, and there are a lot of families. I've been to regular season games hockey games at home rinks in which the students were a majority of the crowd, and never had my experience remotely affected by drunk college kids. And with the exorbitant prices at the Garden, you better come with a lot of money if you want to get drunked-up.

Comment

Because Minnesota is the State of Hockey, natch.

Comment

...And with the exorbitant prices at the Garden, you better come with a lot of money if you want to get drunked-up.
                Can't argue with that!
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  Try re-reading the bold:
                  Was the 2018 Frozen Four part of next season?

Comment

We were at the Fan Fest for the semis waiting in line for a beer in the freezing cold when a guy went up on stage and said he had a historic FF announcement to make. He said "beer and wine will be sold throughout the arena for the first time ever". We promptly got out of the line went into the arena and got a craft beer in a warm environment. Beer had only previously been available in suites at the FF. Of course, the most obnoxious drunk, screaming and whistling during his team's game, just happened to be seated behind us in the club level. Can you guess what school he was cheering for?
                    Last edited by scoreboard; 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                      Of course, the most obnoxious drunk, screaming and whistling during his team's game, just happened to be seated behind us in the club level. Can you guess what school he was cheering for?
                      Need a hint. Was he wearing a cheesehead by any chance?
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                        Was the 2018 Frozen Four part of next season?
                        No, it was not part of next season's bouncyball Final Four. Reading comprehension. Differentiate between Frozen Four and Final Four. They are two different things.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          No. It was a fan from a participating team.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                            No. It was a fan from a participating team.
                            That narrows it down quite a bit. I'll go with the odds then and say UMD.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

That narrows it down quite a bit. I'll go with the odds then and say UMD.
                              Nope. UMD fans in my section were very calm ( as much as you could have expected them to be ) cool and collected. They wanted to remember the event.
                              Last edited by scoreboard; 04-11-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Hey duckass, we aren't obnoxious drunks....just drunks.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X