Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How were they aable to serve beer in St. Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were they aable to serve beer in St. Paul?

How were they able to serve beer in St. Paul? I had never seen that before?
    STEAMER Hockey

Re: How were they aable to serve beer in St. Paul?

Pro-rink not on a college campus. Ever been to a Frozen Four before? How about a game played in an NHL teams facility?
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Pro-rink not on a college campus. Ever been to a Frozen Four before?
      Wrong, pigeon. Prior Frozen Four's, alcohol was ONLY available in suites, not to the whole stadium. Philly MAY have been their "club" level, can't remember for sure where I was for that one, if it was considered a suite or club.

My guess, somebody finally got the NC$$ to realize that they can make much more $$$$ allowing alcohol sales.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Wrong, pigeon. Prior Frozen Four's, alcohol was ONLY available in suites, not to the whole stadium. Philly MAY have been their "club" level, can't remember for sure where I was for that one, if it was considered a suite or club.

My guess, somebody finally got the NC$$ to realize that they can make much more $$$$ allowing alcohol sales.
        Really? Wow, my bad. I'll be honest, this was my first Frozen Four but I am shocked that they didn't serve beer before. All of the games that I had went to for decades prior that were held in NHL buildings served beer. So this was new this year? I can't believe it. As for the NCAA making more money all of the concession sales go to the arena. I suppose it is possible that the facility gives the NCAA a percentage but still.

I just have a hard time believing that The Frozen Four just started selling beer. If it was held on a campus site yes I agree but when was the last time that it was on a college campus?
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Hockeyplayer15 is right. I was not at the Frozen Four in St Paul this year but I went in 2011 and I've been to several regionals the past decade and they have never sold beer at any of those events. I can also confirm that they don't sell it at the bouncy ball tournament games.

So ya, I am not sure how they were able to do it in St Paul.

Comment

Because the NCAA changed its policy on alcohol sales. Here are two articles I found when I Googled it: You Could Be Sipping on Beer and Wine at the NCAA Final Four as Soon as Next Season and NCAA rule changes may lead to beer, wine sales at finals events in Detroit. The Crain's article is interesting because it mentions how much OSU made selling beer at home football games.

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM.
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              Because the NCAA changed its policy on alcohol sales. Here are two articles I found when I Googled it: You Could Be Sipping on Beer and Wine at the NCAA Final Four as Soon as Next Season and NCAA rule changes may lead to beer, wine sales at finals events in Detroit. The Crain's article is interesting because it mentions how much OSU made selling beer at home football games.

Sean
              I'm assuming this is just finals, seeing as they weren't serving alcohol at the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight in Boston this year. Unless they made the decision final in the two weeks between then and the Frozen Four.

Comment

Back in the days when UNH was a participant in the NCAAs, there were never alcohol sales inside any of the arenas for several FF's and regionals that I attended, which was a boon for the local watering holes nearby the arenas. In contrast, the Hockey East tournament at the Gahden always had alcohol, for a price.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                  I'm assuming this is just finals, seeing as they weren't serving alcohol at the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight in Boston this year. Unless they made the decision final in the two weeks between then and the Frozen Four.
                  Same thing with the Beanpot. It is (or maybe was) an NCAA-sponsored tournament issue.

Personally, I'm glad to see it. I actually supported it at one time, because I thought it was a minor inconvenience that made sure that you wouldn't have a bunch of drunks sitting behind you. Also it use to me separate admission, so that if you wanted to, you could go grab a beer between games. But with the current setup, where you either can't leave the arena, and/or there isn't time, and you pretty much have to eat in the arena, it's a much bigger deal.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                    According to the Food & Wine article "Late last month, the NCAA’s Board of Governors rescinded its policy banning alcohol sales at NCAA-sanctioned postseason events". From this I would have to believe that regionals are included in the change.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Dolla dolla bills y'all.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

because God loves us & wants us to be happy.
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

According to the Food & Wine article "Late last month, the NCAA’s Board of Governors rescinded its policy banning alcohol sales at NCAA-sanctioned postseason events". From this I would have to believe that regionals are included in the change.

Sean
                          Well they weren't this season, neither Worcester nor Boston (men's hoops) was selling alcohol. I would've thought the Garden would've jumped on that opportunity, maybe there was an issue with the logistics of it but I can't imagine any reason why they couldn't have opened the beerstands

Comment

Sean
                            Didn't pay close attention in Worcester, and I never used the concessions, but I'm pretty sure that beer wasn't being sold. Could have been expectation bias, but I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed.

Regarding the money aspect, I suspect that's a secondary thing. I don't know for sure, but I doubt that the NCAA gets a bite of the concessions. On the other hand, the venues might be willing to bid more (or bid at all) if they're going to make more money on beer sales. The NHL team is taking a hit already, because that means that it's sacrificing home dates at a crucial time of the NHL schedule.

Comment

Beer stands were closed in Sioux Falls this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X