Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Premier D3 jobs

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Are DIII schools allowed to have spring football practice? I don't recall that happening anywhere
    Of course they are. 15 practices. No equipment. Except for the NESCAC that's their league rule.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
      I have followed the discussion of how Salve improved overnight into a D3 powerhouse and the reasons why. But have any of the posters ever lived in Newport or the nearby area during the winter? I wasn't impressed with the cold/damp weather in the winter and didn't consider it a very attractive place. The bus to Boston and Providence were very popular on the weekend. Now 1, 2, and 3 beaches in the summer are a different story. So I have a hard time buying kids go to Newport because it is a party town like Boston.
      Not for nothing, during the winter, these kids are in the rink. The weather then doesn’t matter much.

Comment

MSOE

http://d3hockey.com/seasons/men/2017...201805189ap5ia
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://www.wsaw.com/content/sports/I...484185861.html

WSAW:
          STEVENS POINT, Wis. -- After an extensive national search, UW-Stevens Point Director of Athletics Brad Duckworth announced today (May 31) that Tyler Krueger has been elevated to permanent men's hockey coach. Krueger served as interim head coach for the 2017-18 season after former head coach Chris Brooks left for Michigan Tech in summer 2017.
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            http://www.wsaw.com/content/sports/I...484185861.html

WSAW:
            STEVENS POINT, Wis. -- After an extensive national search, UW-Stevens Point Director of Athletics Brad Duckworth announced today (May 31) that Tyler Krueger has been elevated to permanent men's hockey coach. Krueger served as interim head coach for the 2017-18 season after former head coach Chris Brooks left for Michigan Tech in summer 2017.
            Man, the guy took them to the FF and they still needed an "extensive national search" to know that he was their guy?
            5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
              Man, the guy took them to the FF and they still needed an "extensive national search" to know that he was their guy?
              Chances are really good that there are hiring guidelines that prevent coronations of interim hires. Heck, there are some positions at some schools that mandate than interims not be considered as candidates for the position they are filling on a temporary basis. Hiring in higher education has all kinds of stipulations concerning job searches, and usually D3 coaching positions are subject to the same rules as other positions at the school. DI athletic departments have more autonomy in that regard.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Chances are really good that there are hiring guidelines that prevent coronations of interim hires. Heck, there are some positions at some schools that mandate than interims not be considered as candidates for the position they are filling on a temporary basis. Hiring in higher education has all kinds of stipulations concerning job searches, and usually D3 coaching positions are subject to the same rules as other positions at the school. DI athletic departments have more autonomy in that regard.
                In addition, it's a state school, so God only knows what stipulations and red tape the government has added to the process...
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                  In the one game (small sample) that I saw them play in Placid, their style of play under Krueger was the best I've seen in D3 in the past 20 years. Rivaled the style that P'burgh used last century or the Russians in the 80s. I still can't believe that Point actually lost that game.

Comment

Well, there is a new opening that should be considered a premier job.....
                    Go 'Wick!

Comment

I think we sell kids short when we contribute their college choices solely to party opportunities around the school. It's not like partying at college is a new phenomenon, so if that was the case then schools like Norwich and Middlebury never would've risen to prominence. And even then, it's not like partying doesn't exist. Even at a dry campus military school like Norwich anyone wanting to party will find plenty of opportunities.

Kids, specifically athletes, choosing what college to attend is a complex puzzle. Coaches, facilities, program investment, personal development, playing time, etc. All of these pitches could've been made and are being made. Programs like Salve, where maybe the facilities are behind, can stress other components more forcefully, like playing time.

But these kids are choosing a college and very few, even the best players from the top teams, go pro. So academic programs and opportunities play a role for a lot of them. I think it's easy to write these guys off as caring only, or at least primarily, about hockey. But, speaking for Norwich anyways, the hockey team has a very good record of producing great student-athletes. Braeden Ostepchuk is a prime example of this, having been named to four Academic All-American teams and being a member of the Norwich engineering team that won a NASA competition about deploying a drone to Mars (or something like that).

So if we want to dig a little deeper, regarding Salve and like programs, what are these kids majoring in? Are a good amount majoring in programs that Salve is known for? It's a complicated puzzle. And if Salve can sell school investment in building a quality hockey program while stressing quality academic programs that students are interested in, then this should be considered and credit should be given.
                      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                        Well, there is a new opening that should be considered a premier job.....
                        You think so? I wonder if this starts a domino effect around D-III this summer....
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                          You think so? I wonder if this starts a domino effect around D-III this summer....
                          What is the NEW OPENING? Did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                            What is the NEW OPENING? Did I miss it?
                            Norwich. McShane has announced his retirement.
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              I think we sell kids short when we contribute their college choices solely to party opportunities around the school. It's not like partying at college is a new phenomenon, so if that was the case then schools like Norwich and Middlebury never would've risen to prominence. And even then, it's not like partying doesn't exist. Even at a dry campus military school like Norwich anyone wanting to party will find plenty of opportunities.

Kids, specifically athletes, choosing what college to attend is a complex puzzle. Coaches, facilities, program investment, personal development, playing time, etc. All of these pitches could've been made and are being made. Programs like Salve, where maybe the facilities are behind, can stress other components more forcefully, like playing time.

But these kids are choosing a college and very few, even the best players from the top teams, go pro. So academic programs and opportunities play a role for a lot of them. I think it's easy to write these guys off as caring only, or at least primarily, about hockey. But, speaking for Norwich anyways, the hockey team has a very good record of producing great student-athletes. Braeden Ostepchuk is a prime example of this, having been named to four Academic All-American teams and being a member of the Norwich engineering team that won a NASA competition about deploying a drone to Mars (or something like that).

So if we want to dig a little deeper, regarding Salve and like programs, what are these kids majoring in? Are a good amount majoring in programs that Salve is known for? It's a complicated puzzle. And if Salve can sell school investment in building a quality hockey program while stressing quality academic programs that students are interested in, then this should be considered and credit should be given.
                              Very well stated. One of the reasons that I have been a big supporter of DIII hockey in general and Norwich in particular is the fact that the vast majority of the kids that I saw go through the Norwich system benefitted from the academic environment and the expectations that were put on them. There were always some who didn't get it, but often those guys would fade from the scene. The ones who thought that all they had to do was play hockey and party usually were not the ones that made a big difference in the program. It will be very interesting to see what happens next as Norwich picks McShane's successor.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X