Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Premier D3 jobs

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    It definitely wasn’t money. I’m guessing location. Newport is tough to beat
    But why has Salve never been as good? It isn't like Salve is a NEW program
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  2. #22
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY Hudson, Fl
    Posts
    1,914

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    But why has Salve never been as good? It isn't like Salve is a NEW program
    Not inferring anything, but Salve's recent success is eerily reminiscent of another program's meteoric rise locted near Philly.

  3. #23
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,552
    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    Not inferring anything, but Salve's recent success is eerily reminiscent of another program's meteoric rise locted near Philly.
    While I'd love to agree, 1 of 30 foreign players vs 18 of 28...not even close. Now if Salve gave out 1 foreign aid scholarships to that one said foreign player, they would be close to that percentage...I mean case.......

    Having said that I dont by the "beautiful Newport" argument either. A...these are 20 year old men.... beautiful sunsets, nice houses and artistic buildings are the last thing on their minds. Newport didn't just happen two years ago since Salve has been around (and dormant) for decades.

    I DO think some $$$ has influenced a couple players, but I also think there is more beyond the scope of grants/aides going on...meaning the coach and more so the Universitys push to put a great program on the ice.

    If they were stacked with Canadian players I'd agree, but they're not. I'd say they are more on par with a team out of Michigan. Now did they promise their incoming players they'd be going DI in a couple years like Adr....I mean yea, Salve has come a long ways....

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    53

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
    Whens the last time Platty was relevant?
    As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez
    The last time Plattsburgh was relevant was LITERALLY a year ago when they won the SUNYAC? Prior to this year they made it to three consecutive conference championship games.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrosky View Post
    The last time Plattsburgh was relevant was LITERALLY a year ago when they won the SUNYAC? Prior to this year they made it to three consecutive conference championship games.
    Fredonia played in this year's said championship game. Are they now relevant?
    It's been years since I've put Platty in national contender.
    Coach Emery is no doubt one of the best D3 has seen, but they aren't where they were a decade ago.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    53

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Does not mean they are not relevant....

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Fredonia played in this year's said championship game. Are they now relevant?
    It's been years since I've put Platty in national contender.
    Coach Emery is no doubt one of the best D3 has seen, but they aren't where they were a decade ago.
    Cool, new rule. Your team is not relevant unless they've won a NC. See you later.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by OZrebel View Post
    Cool, new rule. Your team is not relevant unless they've won a NC. See you later.
    That's not what I said.
    See you later

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Fredonia played in this year's said championship game. Are they now relevant?
    It's been years since I've put Platty in national contender.
    Coach Emery is no doubt one of the best D3 has seen, but they aren't where they were a decade ago.
    So making the NCAA tournament 5x in the last 10 years doesnt make you relevant. What are the qualifications then? I would say making the conference finals for 20+ years straight in one of the best D3 conferences in the nation, including winning it 5x in the past 10 means they are still relevant. If they have a season like this year for the next 10 years then I may agree with you but until then, I am willing to bet that most if not everyone will agree they are still relevant.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac1103 View Post
    So making the NCAA tournament 5x in the last 10 years doesnt make you relevant. What are the qualifications then? I would say making the conference finals for 20+ years straight in one of the best D3 conferences in the nation, including winning it 5x in the past 10 means they are still relevant. If they have a season like this year for the next 10 years then I may agree with you but until then, I am willing to bet that most if not everyone will agree they are still relevant.
    Just giving my opinion

  11. #31
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,552

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    You're not putting Plattsburgh in the same breath as St.Norbert, Oswego, Adrian, UWSP, and Norwich....maybe even as far as Trinity...sorry. This isn't the late 90's to early 2000's where Plattsburgh went to 5 Final Four's in 7 years. Oswego has easily taken over that spot, as has Geneseo. If Plattsburgh is "relevant" you might as well add Utica, Hobart, Babson, UMB, and Williams in there too. Just because Plattsburgh has won the SUNYAC 5 times, it didn't mean they were a National Contender each year. The same can't be said for a team like St.Norbert, Adrian, UWSP, Oswego ect ect who were considered the favorites the majority of those years. Did Plattsburgh have a few good years? Sure. But they are not the powerhouse they were years ago. The years when it was EXPECTED to be in the Final Four, not just a "happy to be here". 2 Final Four's in the past 11 years... TWO regular season titles in the past 9 years....

    If you want to put Plattsburgh in the "good" teams over the past decade? Sure....but they're not on the level of the mentioned above...sorry. Some people can't get over the fact Plattsburgh isn't the same Plattsburgh as years past, but thinking they are in the same mention of St.Norbert, Adrian, Norwich, Oswego, and others is simply laughable. Yes the SUNYAC has become better. Yes Plattsburgh has one of the best DIII coaches around. While they may not be the Dallas Cowboys (1996) or Montreal Canadiens (1993) as far as Championship appearances go (2010, 2008)....

    In the past 8 seasons Final Four Appearances

    St.Norbert - 6
    Norwich - 4
    UWSP - 4
    Oswego - 4
    Adrian - 3
    Trinity - 2
    Geneseo - 2
    Amherst - 2
    UWEC - 1
    Salve - 1
    Colby - 1
    UMB - 1
    Utica - 1

    Plattsburgh......0.....

    13 different teams have made it to the final weekend.....Plattsburgh has not been one of them...so yes, to some...in order to be relevant, one should probably make it to the final weekend at least once in the past 8 years.....

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    255

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Just giving my opinion
    As am I

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    255

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Never did I say they were in the same breath as teams such as St. Norbert or Norwich but to call a team that has averaged 19 wins for the past 10 years not relevant is crazy. Plattsburgh may not be title contenders or have been in the final four in the past 8 years but does that make them less relevant then a team like Colby or the others that have made 1 or 2 final fours in 8 years. How many teams in D3 can say that they have made the NCAA tournament 5x in the past 10 years regardless or a AQ or not, my guess is not to many. Your right this is not the same Plattsburgh team of the 90's early 2000's but have you stopped to ask yourself why other teams maintain the same level of play as they did back in the early 90's early 2000's? Teams have been able to maintain their level of play or close to it where Plattsburgh's has dropped of dramatically. Plattsburgh is heading down the same road as Middlebury did after they won so many championships which is the road to not being relevant. Plattsburgh hasn't had a 100 career point player since Satim and Clarke and haven't had a dominate goalie since Hince. Emery was once on of the best in D3 but he, like Plattsburgh, has fallen down the list.

  14. #34
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    4,081

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    In the past 8 seasons Final Four Appearances

    St.Norbert - 6
    Norwich - 4
    UWSP - 4
    Oswego - 4
    Adrian - 3
    Trinity - 2
    Geneseo - 2
    Amherst - 2
    UWEC - 1
    Salve - 1
    Colby - 1
    UMB - 1
    Utica - 1

    Plattsburgh......0.....

    13 different teams have made it to the final weekend.....Plattsburgh has not been one of them...so yes, to some...in order to be relevant, one should probably make it to the final weekend at least once in the past 8 years.....
    So my opinion is that "relevant" is completely different than "perennial powerhouse". Five trips to the national tournament in 10 years would seem to be relevant to me. Little success in the tourney prevents them from being a perennial power or contender, but I still think they are relevant. I wonder why you picked such an odd number for your stat of 8 years. Then I remembered, they made the final four nine years ago - that would have ruined your argument. BTW, I do believe all the teams you mentioned (Utica, etc.) are relevant, but none are in that upper echelon that St. Norbert, Norwich, and UWSP occupy.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  15. #35
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,558

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    I wonder why you picked such an odd unusual number for your stat of 8 years. Then I remembered, they made the final four nine years ago - that would have ruined your argument. BTW, I do believe all the teams you mentioned (Utica, etc.) are relevant, but none are in that upper echelon that St. Norbert, Norwich, and UWSP occupy.
    Perhaps this is what you meant since 8 is not an odd number - it is even
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  16. #36
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,552

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmac1103 View Post
    Never did I say they were in the same breath as teams such as St. Norbert or Norwich but to call a team that has averaged 19 wins for the past 10 years not relevant is crazy. Plattsburgh may not be title contenders or have been in the final four in the past 8 years but does that make them less relevant then a team like Colby or the others that have made 1 or 2 final fours in 8 years.
    Again, it goes back to what you consider relevant. Of the 81 DIII teams? Sure. Compared to a Potsdam, USM, Middlebury....yes Plattsburgh looks pretty good. 19 wins is awesome, when compared to the middle of the pack DIII land. Is Plattsburgh the Washington Capitals of DIII? Make it to the dance, but can't make it past the first round? I was simply putting Colby (and others) on the list to show that if Plattsburgh was "relevant" under my definition (and others) they SHOULD have made at least ONE Final Four appearance in 8 years (two Senior classes). ESPECIALLY as you pointed out that they've had 4 chances in the past 8 years. Just an appearance would make them a little more in the limelight (relevant). If making a Final Four NINE years ago makes you relevant today....Middlebury must still be king as well...10 is just right, but 13 is too long because that was their last trip?? E


    Quote Originally Posted by dmac1103 View Post
    How many teams in D3 can say that they have made the NCAA tournament 5x in the past 10 years regardless or a AQ or not, my guess is not to many.
    Adrian - 8 of the last 9
    Augsburg - 3 of the last 3
    Geneseo - 3 of the last 6 (2 Final Fours)
    Hobart - 5 of the last 10 (1 Final Four)
    Norwich - 7 of the last 10 (5 Final Fours)
    Oswego - 7 of the last 9 (5 Final Fours)
    St.Norbert - 8 of the last 9 (7 Final Fours , 4 Championships)
    St.Thomas - 3 of the last 9
    Trinity - 3 of the last 4 (2 Final Fours, 1 Championship)
    UWSP - 5 of the last 5 (4 Final Fours, 1 Championship)
    Plattsburgh - 4 of the last 8 (0 Final Four, Record of 0-4-0 GF:5 GA:15)

    So in short we can say Plattsburgh was relevant (as far as contender goes) some 10 years ago now....I think that's all anyone was trying to say from point #1 on.... it's been A WHILE....

    Quote Originally Posted by dmac1103 View Post
    Your right this is not the same Plattsburgh team of the 90's early 2000's but have you stopped to ask yourself why other teams maintain the same level of play as they did back in the early 90's early 2000's? Teams have been able to maintain their level of play or close to it where Plattsburgh's has dropped of dramatically. Plattsburgh is heading down the same road as Middlebury did after they won so many championships which is the road to not being relevant. Plattsburgh hasn't had a 100 career point player since Satim and Clarke and haven't had a dominate goalie since Hince. Emery was once on of the best in D3 but he, like Plattsburgh, has fallen down the list.
    I have not put my finger on it. You're watching teams come out of no where getting grade A recruits, yet Plattsburgh gets stuck with ....well...anyways. Yes you can now pick kids up in the US Jr system where it use to be the OPJHL of bust, but even then Plattsburgh cant compete with other schools. It's not financial aide packages anymore. No Plattsburgh is NOT Boston, but neither is Hobart which plays in one of the worst DIII rinks around. The omens team (mind you its women's) has dominated DIII, yet the men struggle to be at the top of their conference. We've watched Geneseo soar past Plattsburgh. Buff State is right there, and Brockport is creeping. That's just in the conference. Is it Bob? Love Bob to death, but there comes a time when you can no longer connect with the players and kids of the generation. Is he getting the support he once got back in the 90's? Doubtful. I'm sorry but when I'm watching not 1, but 2 goalies from New York make the team (starters) something doesn't sit well. Yes NY has a few good eggs now and then, but why can Plattsburgh no longer pull in top notch recruits and fellow DIII schools and then more that are brand new can?? McCartney looks good, but we shall see.

    Fact of the matter is, its been a LONG while since Plattsburgh has won a meaningful game post conference play. For a team that once prided itself on winning in the post season (NCAA time), it has settled for SUNYAC underdog (beat Oswego) titles as the highlight to a season. If Plattsburgh was as relevant as some want to believe, they wouldn't be losing out on recruits to start up programs or cellar dweller conference foes.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    While I'd love to agree, 1 of 30 foreign players vs 18 of 28...not even close. Now if Salve gave out 1 foreign aid scholarships to that one said foreign player, they would be close to that percentage...I mean case.......

    Having said that I dont by the "beautiful Newport" argument either. A...these are 20 year old men.... beautiful sunsets, nice houses and artistic buildings are the last thing on their minds. Newport didn't just happen two years ago since Salve has been around (and dormant) for decades.

    I DO think some $$$ has influenced a couple players, but I also think there is more beyond the scope of grants/aides going on...meaning the coach and more so the Universitys push to put a great program on the ice.

    If they were stacked with Canadian players I'd agree, but they're not. I'd say they are more on par with a team out of Michigan. Now did they promise their incoming players they'd be going DI in a couple years like Adr....I mean yea, Salve has come a long ways....
    No similarity at all to that school near Philly. Money is also not the reason, Very good recruiting the past two years. The sophomore and Freshman classes are very good. 11 freshman in the line up in championship game.
    Rumor has it location was a big factor as well as a lot of players who knew each other and wanted to play with each other. I believe there was a concerted effort to put together a group that knew each other and wanted to play with one another. Expect another 5-6 good players coming in this year. JUST SAYING

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by nefan View Post
    No similarity at all to that school near Philly. Money is also not the reason, Very good recruiting the past two years. The sophomore and Freshman classes are very good. 11 freshman in the line up in championship game.
    Rumor has it location was a big factor as well as a lot of players who knew each other and wanted to play with each other. I believe there was a concerted effort to put together a group that knew each other and wanted to play with one another. Expect another 5-6 good players coming in this year. JUST SAYING
    I have followed the discussion of how Salve improved overnight into a D3 powerhouse and the reasons why. But have any of the posters ever lived in Newport or the nearby area during the winter? I wasn't impressed with the cold/damp weather in the winter and didn't consider it a very attractive place. The bus to Boston and Providence were very popular on the weekend. Now 1, 2, and 3 beaches in the summer are a different story. So I have a hard time buying kids go to Newport because it is a party town like Boston.

    I have been very impressed with Salve's recruiting in the NAHL which appears to be a trend for eastern schools. With the Northeast Generals in Attleboro it should be easy for D3 schools to check out the NAHL talent. But I would give 100% of the credit to the coach who has convinced players to come east and play in a high school rink a few miles away. And maybe Salve is offering better financial packages then temas like Norwich and the SUNY schools looking for the same players?
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    766

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I have followed the discussion of how Salve improved overnight into a D3 powerhouse and the reasons why. But have any of the posters ever lived in Newport or the nearby area during the winter? I wasn't impressed with the cold/damp weather in the winter and didn't consider it a very attractive place. The bus to Boston and Providence were very popular on the weekend. Now 1, 2, and 3 beaches in the summer are a different story. So I have a hard time buying kids go to Newport because it is a party town like Boston.

    I have been very impressed with Salve's recruiting in the NAHL which appears to be a trend for eastern schools. With the Northeast Generals in Attleboro it should be easy for D3 schools to check out the NAHL talent. But I would give 100% of the credit to the coach who has convinced players to come east and play in a high school rink a few miles away. And maybe Salve is offering better financial packages then temas like Norwich and the SUNY schools looking for the same players?
    Newport is no different than Oswego, Norwich, Adrain, etc...during the winter but its August till October, and then again April and May. Hanging on the beaches and golfing. And downtown Newport is a very hot spot for the students all year long. It gets hopping, been there. Those busses are not popular to the athletes. Fin. Aid packages are no different. I believe as stated earlier its a belief to play with each other and be part of something new. I also hear the rink situation may be changing very soon!! I also totally agree with the quality of the recruits. NAHL players and above will make a difference.

  20. #40
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY Hudson, Fl
    Posts
    1,914

    Salve Recruiting Transcript

    Quote Originally Posted by nefan View Post
    ... downtown Newport is a very hot spot for the students all year long. It gets hopping, ... its a belief to play with each other and be part of something new. I also hear the rink situation may be changing very soon!!
    Not that I don't believe you, so Ö youíre saying the recruiting conversations went something like this:

    Coach: Weíd like you to consider coming to Salve Regina
    Recruit: Salve what?
    Coach: Regina
    Recruit: Isnít that a Catholic school?
    Coach: Yes, but the young women in the convent training program are very attractive.
    Recruit: Wonderful, but Iím not Catholic, Iím __________________
    Coach: No worries Ö Salve accepts all faiths, even no faith.
    Recruit: Super. Isnít Salve a member of the old ECAC/NE, historically the worst conference in D3?
    Coach: Yes, but the MASCAC is now much worse than the NE ever was, and the newly formed teams are raising the profile of the league
    Recruit: Super. Whatís the campus like?
    Coach: Weíre right near the ocean in beautiful Rhode Island
    Recruit: How many weeks during the school year is the ocean swimmable?
    Coach: 6, unless youíre from Canada, then itís 26
    Recruit: Havenít there been some recent devastating Noríeasters that effectively shut down the city?
    Coach: Yes, but only a few, plus I modify practices on those days to weight (snow) lifting
    Recruit: Is the rink on campus?
    Coach: No, but itís only 10 short miles from campus, with a nice bike trail between campus and rink
    Recruit: Perfect. When are practices typically scheduled?
    Coach: We have to work around the Abbeyís modified girlsí teams, so either 5 AM or 11 PM.
    Recruit: Super, So I would need a car to get back and forth from practice?
    Coach: No, the University owns a 1947 International School Bus for commuting. By any chance, do you have a Commercial Drivers License?
    Recruit: No, but thatís a sweet ride! What do tuition, room, board and books run each year?
    Coach: Only around $60K/year, but 98% of our students receive aid
    Recruit: How much debt can I expect to have at the end of four years?
    Coach: Only $100K, but we do offer debt counseling
    Recruit: Super! What kind of grades do I need to have?
    Coach: Our acceptance rate is over 70%, youíd need to be a bumbling idiot NOT to get accepted
    Recruit: Great! What type of crowds does the team get?
    Coach: There have been as many as 400, but youíll get to play with your friends
    Recruit: Great! But if I go to school in my home state, Iíll have only about half as much debt
    Coach: Thatís true, but here you can play with your friends
    Recruit: Super! Thatís whatís most important to me. Sign me up today.

    From my experience Ö It has always been about the money, it is currently about the money, it will always be about the money, it has never not been about the money, and it will never not be about the money.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •