Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Premier D3 jobs

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    130

    Premier D3 jobs

    Offseason discussion...

    Today, in conversation, I heard Norwich referred to as THE premier head coaching job in all of D3 menís hockey. Iím interested to hear thoughts. Discuss.

  2. #2
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,108

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Iíd think there are tiers.

    Plattsburgh, Oswego, St. Norbert, Norwich certainly among the schools in the top tier. Top sport on campus at each school with great resources behind their programs in all facets.

  3. #3
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY Hudson, Fl
    Posts
    1,924

    Hands Down Premier D3 Job

    I would submit that the cream of the D3 Hockey jobs has to be Middlebury.

    Where else can you:
    1. Be part of one of the most successful D3 athletic programs (consistently in the top 10 in Director's Cup standings)
    2. Be part of one of the most prestigious D3 institutions in the country (member of the Little Ivies)
    3. Compete with some of the most athletically successful institutions in the country
    4. Be paid decently (I'm assuming)
    5. Have a world class facility at your disposal

    And not have the least modicum of expectations of being even remotely successful.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    87

    Re: Hands Down Premier D3 Job

    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    I would submit that the cream of the D3 Hockey jobs has to be Middlebury.

    Where else can you:
    1. Be part of one of the most successful D3 athletic programs (consistently in the top 10 in Director's Cup standings)
    2. Be part of one of the most prestigious D3 institutions in the country (member of the Little Ivies)
    3. Compete with some of the most athletically successful institutions in the country
    4. Be paid decently (I'm assuming)
    5. Have a world class facility at your disposal

    And not have the least modicum of expectations of being even remotely successful.
    Now that was very well done!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Iíd think there are tiers.

    Plattsburgh, Oswego, St. Norbert, Norwich certainly among the schools in the top tier. Top sport on campus at each school with great resources behind their programs in all facets.
    What makes you think St. Norbert is at the level of some of the others? Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey and the rest, while still good, is not at the level of some of the others. SNC doesn't have an on campus palace to play in, for example. Unless I'm mistaken and you know otherwise?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by pux44 View Post
    What makes you think St. Norbert is at the level of some of the others? Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey and the rest, while still good, is not at the level of some of the others. SNC doesn't have an on campus palace to play in, for example. Unless I'm mistaken and you know otherwise?
    What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
    Whens the last time Platty was relevant?
    As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez

  7. #7
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by pux44 View Post
    Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey...
    Seems like that should be a tough fact to look past.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    55

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Offseason discussion...

    Today, in conversation, I heard Norwich referred to as THE premier head coaching job in all of D3 menís hockey. Iím interested to hear thoughts. Discuss.
    I'm biased as a Laker to say Oswego, but with the mix of:

    - 2,500 people every game (Campus Center a top 5 facility, arguably the #1?)
    - The history of the program, along with storied rivalry with Plattsburgh
    - Can make the case that since Oswego isn't elite in other sports like some of the NESCAC schools (Baseball is great but other than that...) the HC is treated like royalty. Like honestly, Gosek is the 2nd most influential/popular person in the town, behind probably only the mayor. Maybe.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,263

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
    Whens the last time Platty was relevant?
    As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez
    lost out on 8 kids...$$$$$$$ my guess

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,263

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
    Whens the last time Platty was relevant?
    As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez
    winters??? don't think any of the D3 schools are balmy and suntan lotion is the cream of the day??

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    winters??? don't think any of the D3 schools are balmy and suntan lotion is the cream of the day??
    That's all we need - a D3 hockey conference in SC, GA, FL.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    That's all we need - a D3 hockey conference in SC, GA, FL.
    Only if they need a PBP guy.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    winters??? don't think any of the D3 schools are balmy and suntan lotion is the cream of the day??
    I guess I should have said who wants to spend winters in a non metro place in the winter. Salve is on the rise because of their location I would assume

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    That's all we need - a D3 hockey conference in SC, GA, FL.
    Well crap. There are no D3 colleges in SC or FL. Sorry, George.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    lost out on 8 kids...$$$$$$$ my guess
    It definitely wasnít money. Iím guessing location. Newport is tough to beat

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,263

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    It definitely wasn’t money. I’m guessing location. Newport is tough to beat

  17. #17
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,594

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    I guess I should have said who wants to spend winters in a non metro place in the winter. Salve is on the rise because of their location I would assume
    Why would anybody want to spend time in a metro area in the winter? If I didn't have grandkids here, I'd be on my way back to Vermont lickety split. Too many people, too much pollution, and too much hassle.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Why would anybody want to spend time in a metro area in the winter? If I didn't have grandkids here, I'd be on my way back to Vermont lickety split. Too many people, too much pollution, and too much hassle.
    Did you think that way when you were 20 though?

  19. #19
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,594

    Re: Premier D3 jobs

    Yes, that's why I went to Dartmouth
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Why would anybody want to spend time in a metro area in the winter? If I didn't have grandkids here, I'd be on my way back to Vermont lickety split. Too many people, too much pollution, and too much hassle.
    Move the grandkids.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •