Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premier D3 jobs

Offseason discussion...

Today, in conversation, I heard Norwich referred to as THE premier head coaching job in all of D3 men’s hockey. I’m interested to hear thoughts. Discuss.

Re: Premier D3 jobs

I’d think there are tiers.

Plattsburgh, Oswego, St. Norbert, Norwich certainly among the schools in the top tier. Top sport on campus at each school with great resources behind their programs in all facets.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Hands Down Premier D3 Job

I would submit that the cream of the D3 Hockey jobs has to be Middlebury.

Where else can you:
      1. Be part of one of the most successful D3 athletic programs (consistently in the top 10 in Director's Cup standings)
      2. Be part of one of the most prestigious D3 institutions in the country (member of the Little Ivies)
      3. Compete with some of the most athletically successful institutions in the country
      4. Be paid decently (I'm assuming)
      5. Have a world class facility at your disposal

And not have the least modicum of expectations of being even remotely successful.

Comment

Re: Hands Down Premier D3 Job

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        I would submit that the cream of the D3 Hockey jobs has to be Middlebury.

Where else can you:
        1. Be part of one of the most successful D3 athletic programs (consistently in the top 10 in Director's Cup standings)
        2. Be part of one of the most prestigious D3 institutions in the country (member of the Little Ivies)
        3. Compete with some of the most athletically successful institutions in the country
        4. Be paid decently (I'm assuming)
        5. Have a world class facility at your disposal

And not have the least modicum of expectations of being even remotely successful.
        Now that was very well done!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I’d think there are tiers.

Plattsburgh, Oswego, St. Norbert, Norwich certainly among the schools in the top tier. Top sport on campus at each school with great resources behind their programs in all facets.
          What makes you think St. Norbert is at the level of some of the others? Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey and the rest, while still good, is not at the level of some of the others. SNC doesn't have an on campus palace to play in, for example. Unless I'm mistaken and you know otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by pux44 View Post
            What makes you think St. Norbert is at the level of some of the others? Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey and the rest, while still good, is not at the level of some of the others. SNC doesn't have an on campus palace to play in, for example. Unless I'm mistaken and you know otherwise?
            What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
            Whens the last time Platty was relevant?
            As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez

Comment

Originally posted by pux44 View Post
              Take away the fact they have the best coach in college hockey...
              Seems like that should be a tough fact to look past.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                Offseason discussion...

Today, in conversation, I heard Norwich referred to as THE premier head coaching job in all of D3 men’s hockey. I’m interested to hear thoughts. Discuss.
                I'm biased as a Laker to say Oswego, but with the mix of:

- 2,500 people every game (Campus Center a top 5 facility, arguably the #1?)
                - The history of the program, along with storied rivalry with Plattsburgh
                - Can make the case that since Oswego isn't elite in other sports like some of the NESCAC schools (Baseball is great but other than that...) the HC is treated like royalty. Like honestly, Gosek is the 2nd most influential/popular person in the town, behind probably only the mayor. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                  What makes the other three so appealing? Sure those three have nice rinks, but spending winters in those places cant be a great recruiting tool. With the expanding d3 field theres better places to go.
                  As for Norwich, why did they lose out on eight kids to Salve last year...per Prez
                  lost out on 8 kids...$$$$$$$ my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                    winters??? don't think any of the D3 schools are balmy and suntan lotion is the cream of the day??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      winters??? don't think any of the D3 schools are balmy and suntan lotion is the cream of the day??
                      That's all we need - a D3 hockey conference in SC, GA, FL.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Only if they need a PBP guy.

Comment

I guess I should have said who wants to spend winters in a non metro place in the winter. Salve is on the rise because of their location I would assume

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Well crap. There are no D3 colleges in SC or FL. Sorry, George.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

lost out on 8 kids...$$$$$$$ my guess
                              It definitely wasn’t money. I’m guessing location. Newport is tough to beat

Comment

Working...
                              X