Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It was a joke, son, a joke.
    Jokes are supposed to be funny.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      What's interesting to me is we've become to accept tepid as the norm.

We haven't seen a real quarterly GDP number over 5% since the 1980s; we're supposed to think going over 3% is time for parades.

The problem with that? Be we get 5s or 3s, the bottoms still are ugly as ever. And it takes a lot more 3s than 5s to recover from those -8s and -10s.
      Globalization of our economies will have that effect. When larger percentages of a developed economy, like the US, gets into the free trade markets, we're going to see slowed growth. Conversely, our population gets more bang for the buck, and thus offsetting the reduced growth rate. A cheap t-shirt made in the USA goes for $15-20, but that same shirt made in Viet Nam will sell for $6-9.

Long ago we made a choice to increase the purchasing power of existing income (GDP) over higher potential income. In part, that's because the path of global trade has greater potential to serve both the rich and the poor alike. The rich manufacturers see their bottom lines increase with offshore production facilities, and the poor benefit from cheaper clothes and food. It's not perfect, but it's reality.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/28/64252...t-in-trade-war

Buying votes.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
          Just imagine if we gave the gains to the workers instead of the owners. That money would continue to cycle through and create more growth instead of sitting in some ******canoe's offshore account because he has more money than he can possibly spend.
          This. GDP growth and the stock market increases are all fine and dandy but when all of the gains go to 1% of the population it isn't really worth celebrating. At least I'm gonna assume nobody on here is a billionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            quarter 2, 2014, 5.1%
            quarter 3, 2014, 4.9%

You were saying? Oh, that's right. Obama faked the economic numbers. Now that Red Don is in office, the numbers are accurate.

Edit. The only time we've been at -8 was under Dubya. Before that you have to go back to Reagan. Clinton was consistently in the high 4's. So I guess not really that interesting. What do you expect of an economy recovering from the greatest crisis since the Great Depression, and one that only offers economic gains to the top 1%?
            You do know, after a while, the numbers are adjusted, yes? They do the same with Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              You do know, after a while, the numbers are adjusted, yes? They do the same with Trump.
              And what's your point? That 4% growth in 2016 dollars isn't the same as 4% growth in 1950's dollars? Well duh.

The growth numbers don't change though. You wanna show me GDP numbers adjusted for inflation, then go right ahead. By your argument, you're saying that Red Don's recent 4% quarter isn't any better than Obama's 3% quarter from 2011. You sure that's the hill you wanna die on?

Comment

Also by your standard, this record stock market doesn't mean crap, cause once you adjust for inflation, it's just the same as any other year.

Comment

And what's your point? That 4% growth in 2016 dollars isn't the same as 4% growth in 1950's dollars? Well duh.

The growth numbers don't change though. You wanna show me GDP numbers adjusted for inflation, then go right ahead. By your argument, you're saying that Red Don's recent 4% quarter isn't any better than Obama's 3% quarter from 2011. You sure that's the hill you wanna die on?
                  My argument has nothing to do with inflation. They put the numbers out quickly, and then once everything's been settled and figured out, correct any errors that were made and come out with a final number.

Comment

Sure. But I'd say it's a safe bet that 2014 numbers aren't gonna be revised any time soon. They're pretty much what they are.

You still haven't shown where Red Don's GDP growth has been any more impressive than what it was under Obama. But I forget, Obama was fudging the numbers, Red Don tells it like it is.

Comment

Sure. But I'd say it's a safe bet that 2014 numbers aren't gonna be revised any time soon. They're pretty much what they are.
                      No, no, those numbers from four years ago are just ripe to be downgraded to 2%. The ones from last quarter, though, will stay unchanged forever.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I’ll take long and tepid over short lived and big.
                        < comment here about your wife maybe not agreeing >

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

quarter 2, 2014, 5.1%
                          quarter 3, 2014, 4.9%
                          Apologies. The sources I checked had low-res graphs and I went by eye. And looking back, there may have been a rolling average.

The point remains however: we're supposed to be overjoyed at 3%.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            My argument has nothing to do with inflation. They put the numbers out quickly, and then once everything's been settled and figured out, correct any errors that were made and come out with a final number.
                            Historically, the rGDP figures are finalized within two years of being published. While they could go either up or down, the majority of the time they're adjusted downward because there are assumptions made based upon the early reporters. The early reporters are mostly large corporations, and they usually have better results that most smaller businesses.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Apologies. The sources I checked had low-res graphs and I went by eye. And looking back, there may have been a rolling average.

The point remains however: we're supposed to be overjoyed at 3%.
                              And who says we should be "overjoyed". Provide the source.

Otherwise, 3% is a sign of good steady economic growth. Growth that can be maintained over a long period of time. Not boom and bust like you Republicans like to do.

If your stocks grew 3%/quarter, you'd be overjoyed too.

Comment

And who says we should be "overjoyed". Provide the source.

Otherwise, 3% is a sign of good steady economic growth. Growth that can be maintained over a long period of time. Not boom and bust like you Republicans like to do.

If your stocks grew 3%/quarter, you'd be overjoyed too.
                                Quarterly GDP reporting percentages are annualized.

Comment

Working...
                                X