Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I just ran out on the first register I ever got back when I first got my checkbook.
    I haven't lived at the address on my checks in 10 years. Can't remember the last time I used one...
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I use them to pay people sometimes when they don’t have Wells Fargo. I don’t like using PayPal or Venmo though. But I will if someone asks. So maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to cast stones.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        And credit card debt.
        I put most purchases on my credit card (gas, food, Amazon) and just pay it all off at the end of the month. My mortgage and auto loan is automatically withdrawn from my checking account each month. I have an REI members card, which gives me an extra 1% back in my yearly REI co-op dividend. Last year I earned about $550 at REI from using my credit card.

I just log in to my bank account a couple times a week to make sure there aren’t any unusual charges. I don’t worry about how much money I have before I use my debit card or pay my kids violin teacher (one of they only things I use a check for) because I just keep a cushion of $5k or so in that account.

Comment

Ditto. I’ve paid for all sorts of trips on my credit card using points. I’ve also had it since I was 15.

Never paid a penny in interest.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Food for thought, the next time someone tells you how great non-union shops and "right-to-work" laws are, or that OSHA is a pesky waste of taxpayer money.

Comment

On the other hand, one of the only remaining union plants in my company also has the highest injury rate.

I’m not saying unions are bad, but they aren’t the panacea like people sometimes treat them.
              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                On the other hand, one of the only remaining union plants in my company also has the highest injury rate.

I’m not saying unions are bad, but they aren’t the panacea like people sometimes treat them.
                Ultimately, it's about holding management accountable. No one is doing that. The OSHA fines are paltry in the face of the money being made.

Comment

Yes, that’s a big part of it. Especially when those fines can be substituted or written off.

But it’s also about culture. The non-union plants in my division have some of the best operators in the company. There’s loyalty and eagerness to be involved. At the union plant it’s a race to the bottom. New pipe fitters are routinely shamed into not doing anything above the fold. One guy will literally sit on a bucket - all day if he has to - until you walk out to talk to him. The products are less dangerous yet have a higher LTI rate. It’s baffling.

You go into the non-union parts of the division and the reactors are clean, tools are put back, and they want to be involved in the design and engineering process.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I'd rather allocate those resources to all teachers, but particularly those in history, literature, music, and other important subjects.
                    lord knows the world needs more English lit b.a. holders
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      lord knows the world needs more English lit b.a. holders
                      Not that, but more people who can write coherent sentences with correct uses of noun, verb, adjective, subject, object, etc.

Plus reading the dead white guys and girls who wrote good stuff.

Maybe if they made Shakespeare or Shelley into a video game...
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not that, but more people who can write coherent sentences with correct uses of noun, verb, adjective, subject, object, etc.

Plus reading the dead white guys and girls who wrote good stuff.

Maybe if they made Shakespeare or Shelley into a video game...
                        GET OFF MOOKIE'S LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geez

Comment

home economics as in the economics of running a household. How many college kids can balance a checkbook??
                          Joe missed by that much ...

We've all taken courses on the subjects already mentioned. And they're important.

How many have taken a course on using and managing money? Think about it. We all deal with it every day. How many have taken a course about ... money. Sure, econ. Uh. No. Math course? Uh sure, but no. I mean a course where you literally are forced to make spending decision on what to buy, where you figure out what that quarter point of interest costs you; where you run the numbers and see that you can not afford to not work an hour a day for yourself* (meaning save it for retirement) from the first day on the job.

Look even here: how many proudly state "from mom and dad" or "self-taught". And we wonder why we as a society have the credit card debt we do, or get ripped off on credit scams.

Part of me wonders why such a course isn't required in HS. Then again, if most don't understand these things it's all the better for those who do. <-- I think we've found the key.

*Best advice I ever got, and notice, advice, not learned in a class.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The Finns appear to be walking away from their "basic income" trial.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43866700
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              The Finns appear to be walking away from their "basic income" trial.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43866700
                              But apparently not for knuckledragger reasons. For example, one of the competing options is negative income tax, which is effectively the same thing, and another is universal credits which are even more generous.

The trial is not being extended for process reasons, not ideology.

Labor as coercion is gradually passing away, just as slavery and debtors' prison did, and good riddance to it and all the ideological superstructure of the "dignity of labor" that was employed to undergird inequality. No doubt the ruling class will deploy some other malarkey to justify its privilege (I mean, unless they just go to naked violence).
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Labor as coercion

Comment

Working...
                                X