Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Based on personal observations, the kiosks aren’t saving much on labor costs as there’s still 2-3 people at the front handing out the orders. It’s saving time slightly but not on labor.
    At the particular place where I saw it (mall location), there was one person at the counter, who doubled as being at the register.

Delivery from hot plate to "table" (including automobile) may seem tricky for automation. The burgers you could probably do easily, as the cooks already place them on divided hot plate ramps, and the Japanese have already come up with a way of doing this one: conveyor belts. Great, now I want sushi... ...but I digress. Drinks already have the "Coca-Cola Freestyle" machines, and you could pop out a cup and lid like a vending machine. The only tricky thing I see is the fries, because the current delivery mechanism is a mass production to be separated to individual orders. It's possible to automate, but to go from there to "table" is a bit messy, so they'd have to re-do the packaging to make sure product isn't lost.

It's entirely possible, given we see some vending machines with hot sandwiches and ramen cups out there already.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      We don't tax exports. It's not our problem that those on the other side of the tariffs are butthurt that they can't take the US to the woodshed anymore.
      The only reason that other country's have put these tariffs on us (i.e., tax on our exports) is because we did put tariffs on theirs first. So therefore, that means we just taxed exports by putting a tariff on others exports.

Not a 'woodshed moment'...others fighting a tariff war is really just a rational act. Notice nobody...not Ds, not Rs, absolutely nobody thinks tariffs are smart - except Trump (and those who blindly follow him).
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        The only reason that other country's have put these tariffs on us (i.e., tax on our exports) is because we did put tariffs on theirs first. So therefore, that means we just taxed exports by putting a tariff on others exports.

Not a 'woodshed moment'...others fighting a tariff war is really just a rational act. Notice nobody...not Ds, not Rs, absolutely nobody thinks tariffs are smart - except Trump (and those who blindly follow him).
        I continue to laugh at this point you have made, especially when I had to put up with you and several others *****ing and moaning about last year's tax cuts. Given your description, it's the same gosh darn thing.

Anyone can learn from Hawley-Smoot, but the point of today's tariffs is to make sure we actually get something in return from Europe, who seems to want to **** on us at every turn. Sure, one sided deals are nice when you can get them, but once the other side becomes wise to what's going on...

Comment

I continue to laugh at this point you have made, especially when I had to put up with you and several others *****ing and moaning about last year's tax cuts. Given your description, it's the same gosh darn thing.
          Tax cuts are fine. Tax cuts and increasing government spending is not - didn't the government debt used to be important to you? Business tax cuts from 35% to 21% means the private sector needs to be 40% larger to pay for itself - this when its growth is about 5% per year. The math has never worked.

U.S. budget deficit this year already 21% higher than last year. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-bud...han-last-year/ and unlike the W debacle and the Obama recovery...that's in a strong economy. Raising prices do to raw materials due to tariffs while putting additional money in supply will naturally explode inflation. You guys are utterly incapable of managing the economy.

Anyone can learn from Hawley-Smoot, but the point of today's tariffs is to make sure we actually get something in return from Europe, who seems to want to **** on us at every turn. Sure, one sided deals are nice when you can get them, but once the other side becomes wise to what's going on...
          I don't think Trump learned from Hawley-Smoot, he threw steel tariffs out there independent of any issue.

Its simple. As one of the most undeserving people possible, Trump received the greatest gift anyone's almost ever gotten - the most powerful country in the world when the Dems had built a solid economic foundation for him. He's trying his best to squander it. In the end, feel free to go to war with the entire world. That sounds like a great plan.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

LOL, Trump has never even heard of Smoot-Hawley. He's doing what Putin and his Putin-aligned advisors tell him to do.

Comment

Tax cuts are fine. Tax cuts and increasing government spending is not - didn't the government debt used to be important to you? Business tax cuts from 35% to 21% means the private sector needs to be 40% larger to pay for itself - this when its growth is about 5% per year. The math has never worked.

U.S. budget deficit this year already 21% higher than last year. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-bud...han-last-year/ and unlike the W debacle and the Obama recovery...that's in a strong economy. Raising prices do to raw materials due to tariffs while putting additional money in supply will naturally explode inflation. You guys are utterly incapable of managing the economy.

I don't think Trump learned from Hawley-Smoot, he threw steel tariffs out there independent of any issue.

Its simple. As one of the most undeserving people possible, Trump received the greatest gift anyone's almost ever gotten - the most powerful country in the world when the Dems had built a solid economic foundation for him. He's trying his best to squander it. In the end, feel free to go to war with the entire world. That sounds like a great plan.
              You don't think I'm concerned about government spending? Why did I just ask, after hearing about McCain's death, if we were going to finally get out of the Middle East? Why did I blast Trump for signing last year's budget (which he later regretted, but I think he'll do it again because he forfeited a psychological advantage to the deep state by doing that)? Why do you think Trump is trying to re-negotiate the business deals to get cheaper prices, despite the RINOs pushing the other way? If you want to talk reducing spending, I have been all ears this entire time. Bring some specific points to the table.

I see the debt clock every day. One thing I do see is that the deficit and the trade deficit match fairly closely. I'd say it's a good starting point.

Comment

Tax cuts are fine.
                Tax Cuts are not fine. Not when there is no recession. When the next one hits there will be no money for anything across the entire country. It's going to be bad.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Tax Cuts are not fine. Not when there is no recession. When the next one hits there will be no money for anything across the entire country. It's going to be bad.
                  You can't spend societal problems away, but you are right. It seems backwards, but you should raise taxes in a bull economy and lower them in a bear.

If you can keep close to the same velocity of money all the time, you should minimize the peaks and valleys.

This, however, means that spending needs to be kept close to level with moderate raises to keep up with progress standards of living. Wars throw the equation out of whack if you try to finance the war with anything but debt.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    You can't spend societal problems away, but you are right. It seems backwards, but you should raise taxes in a bull economy and lower them in a bear.

If you can keep close to the same velocity of money all the time, you should minimize the peaks and valleys.

This, however, means that spending needs to be kept close to level with moderate raises to keep up with progress standards of living. Wars throw the equation out of whack if you try to finance the war with anything but debt.
                    They've cut to the bone during a bull. When the recession hits it's going to hit hard. Republicans love nothing better than spending rainy day funds on tax cuts during bull markets. That makes no ****ing sense.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They've cut to the bone during a bull. When the recession hits it's going to hit hard. Republicans love nothing better than spending rainy day funds on tax cuts during bull markets. That makes no ****ing sense.
                      I'm not saying they did what I said. Politicians tend to do the wrong thing at the wrong time and think that it's right.

Tax reform was needed. But to simplify the code, not what was passed. Spending reform is needed to keep expenses <= to income. Unfortunately, no politician wants to control spending.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I'm not saying they did what I said. Politicians tend to do the wrong thing at the wrong time and think that it's right.

Tax reform was needed. But to simplify the code, not what was passed. Spending reform is needed to keep expenses <= to income. Unfortunately, no politician wants to control spending.
                        Of course tax reform was needed. We didn't get it though. We got a tax cut, not tax reform. Spending reform? Spending reform involves paying for what you pass as legislation. Democrats do. Republicans don't.

Giving a massive tax cut during a bull market is about the stupidest thing you can do. It draws a direct line to the 2008 crash. It will happen again.

Comment

Of course tax reform was needed. We didn't get it though. We got a tax cut, not tax reform. Spending reform? Spending reform involves paying for what you pass as legislation. Democrats do. Republicans don't.

Giving a massive tax cut during a bull market is about the stupidest thing you can do. It draws a direct line to the 2008 crash. It will happen again.
                          You agreed with me in part and dissented in part. As to spending, Dems spend domestically with social programs and cut non social spending. Rs do exactly the opposite.

It didn't used to be that way, but the legislatures have become polarized and moderates get tossed in the primaries because only the base turns out. Then we get a choice of the looney left vs. the wild eyed right. My God. What have we done!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You agreed with me in part and dissented in part. As to spending, Dems spend domestically with social programs and cut non social spending. Rs do exactly the opposite.

It didn't used to be that way, but the legislatures have become polarized and moderates get tossed in the primaries because only the base turns out. Then we get a choice of the looney left vs. the wild eyed right. My God. What have we done!
                            No, Republicans spend more on social programs domestically. The bill for subsidies to the rich and various businesses like the oil industry far exceed what we spend on our average citizens.

Comment

Except the "looney left" has been trying to pay for their spending, while the Rs not only don't try to pay for it, they actually cut income at the same time. Maybe you need to take a step back and re-evaluate, the left is acting pretty moderately.

Comment

Huh, something I haven't see reported on here is that there was a surprisingly bi-partisan, employee friendly, small-business friendly, piece of legislature tucked into the McCain Military Bill Trump signed last week.

The government just made it easier for workers to own a piece of their employer.

Previously known as the Main Street Employee Ownership Act, the mandate was tacked on by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. Her goal: Help more workers to own a piece of the company they work for.

The concept of employee ownership has been gaining traction as a way to shrink the gap between people who make money on investments and those who work for a living.

The most common way to do this is through employee stock ownership plans, or ESOPs. Workers pay nothing to participate — the company takes out a loan to buy the shares from the previous owner or shareholders, then divides the shares among the employees. Profits from the employee-owned portion of the company are tax-free, so the tax savings can be used to pay off the loan. As co-owners of the company, employees vote on major events like mergers and spinoffs, but a management team still handles day-to-day decisions.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X