Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 970

Thread: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

  1. #361
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,222

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    It's just the opposite. It's 500 interlocking shopping malls. Phoenix is nothing if not planned. It's planned so much it is the closest there is to an actual Sim City, with half the city zoned as "low density commercial."



    Phoenix: actual aerial photograph.
    https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...l-worst-cities
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  2. #362

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    St. Louis shocks me on that list. I just assumed that city has been shrinking since 1960.

    One of the truly depressing experiences of my recent life was driving through Calgary and realizing their sprawl rivals Phoenix and Vegas for hideousness. I thought it was just Hurr Durr America that was to blame, but even our angelic neighbors to the North... granted, Alberta is Texas with worse winters.

    By extrapolation, I would expect Australia to become the worst place on Earth.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  3. #363
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,231

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Florence is gorgeous. The WPA bridge is a national treasure.

    WPA Bridge? More like an elevated commie crossing.

  4. #364

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    By extrapolation, I would expect Australia to become the worst place on Earth.
    The Outback is large.

  5. #365
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,173

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    .

    By extrapolation, I would expect Australia to become the worst place on Earth.
    The hordes of poisonous spiders, bugs, snakes and other beasties didn't already qualify it?
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  6. #366

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    The hordes of poisonous spiders, bugs, snakes and other beasties didn't already qualify it?
    I know that part. I was referring to the fact that the Australian population are the UK losers who were so awful even our own Appalachians turned them down.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  7. #367
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Florence is gorgeous. The WPA bridge is a national treasure.

    The bridge, the jetty, Old Town, it’s all very beautiful. Problem is the rest of it is either gated retirement communities or tract housing with huge drug problems.

    Or the casino, which is on the edge of town anyway.

  8. #368
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    St. Louis shocks me on that list. I just assumed that city has been shrinking since 1960.

    One of the truly depressing experiences of my recent life was driving through Calgary and realizing their sprawl rivals Phoenix and Vegas for hideousness. I thought it was just Hurr Durr America that was to blame, but even our angelic neighbors to the North... granted, Alberta is Texas with worse winters.

    By extrapolation, I would expect Australia to become the worst place on Earth.
    So you want to control immigration as well to keep people out?!?

    Shame...

  9. #369

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    So you want to control immigration as well to keep people out?!?

    Shame...
    I told you, I'd be happy with one out for every one in. And I know who to start with.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  10. #370

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The bridge, the jetty, Old Town, it’s all very beautiful. Problem is the rest of it is either gated retirement communities or tract housing with huge drug problems.

    Or the casino, which is on the edge of town anyway.
    The reservation near Madras is the most depressing place I've ever been. Men huffing from plastic bags in daylight on the street. Poverty jacked up past 11.

    I didn't know there was any native land near Florence.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  11. #371
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,060

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Schultz stepping down at Starbucks.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  12. #372

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Schultz stepping down at Starbucks.
    Oh God.

    Howard Schultz steps down as Starbucks chairman amid presidential speculation

    Are we really going to be the Roman Empire, except instead of generals it's f-ckwit businessmen?

    F-ckwit lawyers was bad enough.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-05-2018 at 01:35 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  13. #373

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,992

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    At least *this* businessman has some goddammed common sense and an ability to be told "No" once in a while without repercussions (well, at least we haven't been told of any public transgressions, unlike the well known track record that accompanied Trump).


    *edit* I am fully prepared for the subsequent quoting of this post with links showing said publicly known problems.
    Last edited by aparch; 06-05-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  14. #374
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,208
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    At least *this* businessman has some goddammed common sense and an ability to be told "No" once in a while without repercussions (well, at least we haven't been told of any public transgressions, unlike the well known track record that accompanied Trump).


    *edit* I am fully prepared for the subsequent quoting of this post with links showing said publicly known problems.
    Well..... mookie initially thought he resigned due to his employees hating ni**ers. Was taken aback to see the presidential aspirations noted.

  15. #375
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,241

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!


  16. #376
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,850

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    UPS could find Hair Furor's ire if this isn't resolved. And then someone will tell him it's all the union's fault, and he's going to claim that 6% of GDP is dependent upon you. With a full 1/16th of our nation dependent upon your company's operation, he might try to pull a Reagan and bust the strike in the name of national safety. He'll manufacture the safety portion of that argument.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  17. #377
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    69,226

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    UPS could find Hair Furor's ire if this isn't resolved. And then someone will tell him it's all the union's fault, and he's going to claim that 6% of GDP is dependent upon you. With a full 1/16th of our nation dependent upon your company's operation, he might try to pull a Reagan and bust the strike in the name of national safety. He'll manufacture the safety portion of that argument.
    Awesome.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #378

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It would be nice to see every labor union in the country go out. An honest to god general strike. And then have consumers observe the strike, not cross lines, and maybe extend the strike in their own non-union shops, themselves.

    The people have all the power, they just don't know it. Between labor and, maybe more importantly now, consumption, we could force our politicians to the bargaining table and start to claw back some of our basic rights and dignity from the 1%. Not even the rich have enough cops and soldiers to stop that.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  19. #379

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,439
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    UPS could find Hair Furor's ire if this isn't resolved. And then someone will tell him it's all the union's fault, and he's going to claim that 6% of GDP is dependent upon you. With a full 1/16th of our nation dependent upon your company's operation, he might try to pull a Reagan and bust the strike in the name of national safety. He'll manufacture the safety portion of that argument.
    Remember, Harry nationalized the steel industry back in 1952 (for about a month until SCOTUS told him no).

  20. #380

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,346

    Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Remember, Harry nationalized the steel industry back in 1952 (for about a month until SCOTUS told him no).
    The action that launched all of Ayn Rand's cretinous garbage.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •