Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

The fact the Colorado GOP wants to imprison striking teachers should be a huge campaign point for the Ds there.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      In Minnesota a teaching Master's Degree does pay off. I know a couple of teachers.
      Yes, here it does. In the state where that woman's working, she didn't take into account the viability of getting that degree.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Two things. First, that's absurdly low. A teacher starting out in MN makes much more than that. Second, that's absurdly stupid of the teacher to get a master's degree for a position that will not make it an economically viable endeavor in keeping his family fed, housed, and protected.
        In PA when my sister got her M. Ed. in the 70s you needed one to teach HS.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I made more working at Taco Bell while in college than starting teachers make coming out of college. Maybe their decision process in which degree to seek isn't the problem, but the fact that as a society we don't value them is, given the rather important role they play.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            I made more working at Taco Bell while in college than starting teachers make coming out of college. Maybe their decision process in which degree to seek isn't the problem, but the fact that as a society we don't value them is, given the rather important role they play.
            This is a major problem.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              In Minnesota a teaching Master's Degree does pay off. I know a couple of teachers.
              It does. And it should, perhaps with a small qualifier.

A lot of collective bargaining agreements in Minnesota have a pay grid that applies. A first year teacher with say a bachelor's degree gets "x". That same first year teacher with a masters or a doctorate or some other advanced degree moves into a higher pay scale column.

Then for each "degree" column there is a corresponding bump in pay for each year you've been at the school. So a second year teacher with a bachelors degree gets an automatic seniority bump in pay. However, if that teacher not only works that additional year but happens to pick up an advanced degree, he or she might get what amounts to a second bump in pay, as the teacher moves over into the advanced degree column.

I actually don't think that's a terrible idea, with a couple of small caveats.

First, I get a little grumpy when teachers then negotiate their new two year contract and complain that they maybe only got a 2% or 4% bump in pay as a result of the negotiations. The problem is, that doesn't take into account the seniority bump in pay, or the advanced degree bump in pay in the event they acquired that degree, and they get really touchy on the subject if anyone brings it up.

Second, do we really need a second grade teacher with a masters, and should we be allocating our resources there? Wouldn't we be better off allocating those resources for teachers who teach science or math to have a masters?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Second, do we really need a second grade teacher with a masters, and should we be allocating our resources there? Wouldn't we be better off allocating those resources for teachers who teach science or math to have a masters?
                I'd rather allocate those resources to all teachers, but particularly those in history, literature, music, and other important subjects.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Math, chemistry, physics, economics, engineering...
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Math, chemistry, physics, economics, engineering...
                    home economics as in the economics of running a household. How many college kids can balance a checkbook??
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      home economics as in the economics of running a household. How many college kids can balance a checkbook??
                      I didn't learn how to balance a checkbook in school. I taught myself how to shop and cook after I graduated from NMU. Mom wasn't too pleased with my initial offerings, but then again, I had to fight her tooth and nail on boxed mac and cheese.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Nobody balances a checkbook anymore. It’s called online banking on your phone.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Nobody balances a checkbook anymore. It’s called online banking on your phone.
                          And credit card debt.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            They teach you everything you need to know to balance a checkbook in middle school.

I haven’t balanced a checkbook in over a decade.

Comment

Most people view checks as those annoying things old people use that slow down the checkout line. They have absolutely nothing to do with credit card debt, but we get it, you're old and cranky. Maybe 40 years of flat wages for the working class has something to do with it.

Comment

I just ran out on the first register I ever got back when I first got my checkbook.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X