Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I've never even been to Phoenix, but I just assume between the weather and the sprawl, it's already unlivable. Unless you're a yuuuuuuge fan of dry heat.
    My impression of it while touring with a friend of mine who lived there is that its all old people and meth heads with very little in between. City also looks like it was all built yesterday. Desert scenery is beautiful of course, but sprawl makes Atlanta look like it was expertly planned.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Oregon is lovely. But go east of the Western Cascades. The emotional difference between New England and Portland winter is extreme. Imagine a cold wet spot on the back of your neck you can't prevent or dry.

Now imagine it for 7 months.

If you love Oregon (as I do), move to Bend or Ashland or Klamath Falls if you value intelligence. Or move to Burns or La Grande or Pendleton if you like herpa-derps.

But the coastal rain is soul destroying. There is no way to describe just how depressing it is.
      Sometimes a great notion

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        My impression of it while touring with a friend of mine who lived there is that its all old people and meth heads with very little in between. City also looks like it was all built yesterday. Desert scenery is beautiful of course, but sprawl makes Atlanta look like it was expertly planned.
        It's just the opposite. It's 500 interlocking shopping malls. Phoenix is nothing if not planned. It's planned so much it is the closest there is to an actual Sim City, with half the city zoned as "low density commercial."

Phoenix: actual aerial photograph.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Oregon is lovely. But go east of the Western Cascades. The emotional difference between New England and Portland winter is extreme. Imagine a cold wet spot on the back of your neck you can't prevent or dry.

Now imagine it for 7 months.

If you love Oregon (as I do), move to Bend or Ashland or Klamath Falls if you value intelligence. Or move to Burns or La Grande or Pendleton if you like herpa-derps.

But the coastal rain is soul destroying. There is no way to describe just how depressing it is.

In the summer months, the Coastal Range is one of the most lovely places on Earth.
          I've been to Burns (USDA location). Great people, but not much to see. The ride from Boise was interesting.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I've been to Burns (USDA location). Great people, but not much to see. The ride from Boise was interesting.
            Burns is where the Great Bundy Comic Opera happened.

You can keep the people, thanks.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Brother lived on the coast in Reedsport for about 5 years and loved it, despite the wet. Those rivers come crashing out of the fog and the firs into the ocean. Powerful medicine.

Just too small for him, I think.
              Last edited by burd; 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Brother lived on the coast in Reedsport for about 5 years and loved it, despite the wet. Just too small for him, I think.
                Huh. I had a GF from Florence. We drove down to see her family. The Lumber Folk through that area may as well be from back the holler in Tennessee. Very, very strange cul de sac in the gene pool. Pure Okie.
                Cornell University

Comment

Huh. I had a GF from Florence. We drove down to see her family. The Lumber Folk through that area may as well be from back the holler in Tennessee. Very, very strange cul de sac in the gene pool. Pure Okie.
                  Yeah. He was a young family practice doc with an east coast education. I think he found it refreshing and the land compelling.

See post 347 below. Kesey got it.
                  Last edited by burd; 06-01-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

In the summer months, the Coastal Range is one of the most lovely places on Earth.

Yes, I can imagine. One year, maybe ten years or so ago, it rained practically every day for the entire month of May. Yes, it's bleak. But soul destroying is a blizzard every weekend for the month of February, as we also had about 8 years ago.

I'm still willing to give it a go. Beats shoveling. I'll take a winter of rain over a winter of snow anyday. And I'm assuming most days it's drizzle, not full-on downpour. I'm thinking Eugene.
                    Last edited by rufus; 06-01-2018, 10:39 AM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      I cannot understand Phoenix for the life of me. I'm looking at that conclave of old hippies, Oregon.

Yes, it rains a lot in every season but summer. But as someone said, you don't have to shovel rain. And it's really not all that much more than here in New England.
                      The coastal areas of the Pacific NW don't get more rain, just more frequently.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        The coastal areas of the Pacific NW don't get more rain, just more frequently.
                        Yes. Compared to Portland Maine, Eugene gets about the same precipitation amounts per year. But during the summer months, they get maybe 2 or 3 days of rain per month, compared to 10-11 days per month of rain/snow year round in Portland. Fall through spring though, Eugene gets roughly 18 days/month of rain. Still beats snow, though. I'll take a drizzly/intermittent showers day where its 45 degrees over 20 degrees and snow any day. Mountain biking year round.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

It's just the opposite. It's 500 interlocking shopping malls. Phoenix is nothing if not planned. It's planned so much it is the closest there is to an actual Sim City, with half the city zoned as "low density commercial."

Phoenix: actual aerial photograph.
                          Exactly this. If not for a few hills in the middle of the city the entire greater metro area would be a perfect grid system. A road that curves is extremely rare, every mile there is a major road in each direction that is about a 30 mile long strip mall, especially the E/W roads. In between the strip malls you pack in the residential. Industrial is along south end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            My grandparents, and soon my parents, live in Florence. It’s mostly retired old folks now, with a sprinkling of methheads/bikers.

It’s beautiful, but I’d lose my mind if I lived there right now.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              Exactly this. If not for a few hills in the middle of the city the entire greater metro area would be a perfect grid system. A road that curves is extremely rare, every mile there is a major road in each direction that is about a 30 mile long strip mall, especially the E/W roads. In between the strip malls you pack in the residential. Industrial is along south end.
                              Looking at a topo of Phoenix there just aren’t many natural features they have to dodge unlike, for example, the twin cities which have all sorts of lakes, streams, hills, etc.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                My grandparents, and soon my parents, live in Florence. It’s mostly retired old folks now, with a sprinkling of methheads/bikers.

It’s beautiful, but I’d lose my mind if I lived there right now.
                                Florence is gorgeous. The WPA bridge is a national treasure.

Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X