Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Made in the USA

Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's good for business. It's good for American jobs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...imes&smtyp=cur
    Or, you know, they could hold firm and enforce that it's Made in the USA.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Made in the USA

What'd I say when this whole hubbabaloo started... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ng-his-workers

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Kichizapi Chetan

I work in automation.

The question I'm getting is Sawyer/Baxter, UR, or YuMi? I tell them they're forgetting Fanuc and a handful of other good ones.

The dawn of the "collaborative robot" (meaning no need for caging around it, either by low torque or redundant safety systems) means they won't need a lot of manual, low-skill positions filled by "hoomins*" in the future.

*stolen from Nature is Amazing on Twitter
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-14-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I work in automation.

The question I'm getting is Sawyer/Baxter, UR, or YuMi? I tell them they're forgetting Fanuc and a handful of other good ones.
    My brother installs the automated services at places like McDonald's (most drink dispensers and fry baskets for the past 10 years). It's coming to a point where kids are really going to have to compete for a McJob even when there's a growing economy and the McMaster's program college grads aren't taking them.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    What'd I say when this whole hubbabaloo started... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ng-his-workers
    DJ Tice, who is a very conservative columnist for the Minneapolis paper, and someone who has been a pretty vocal opponent of things like the $15/hr minimum, mandatory paid time off, etc..., wrote an interesting column a short time ago, in which he all but says he may have been too hasty and that there is always an opportunity to learn. He references a recent study that shows some meaningful benefits to these policies.

http://www.startribune.com/duly-note...age/480424363/
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Made in the USA

Kep will like this one... https://michaelsavage.com/?p=16968

Although I look forward to what loophole Bezos is going to use in order to get out of this one...

Or, you know, they could hold firm and enforce that it's Made in the USA.
    Private work doesn't need to be USA products only. And public works projects only need it when required.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Kep will like this one... https://michaelsavage.com/?p=16968

Although I look forward to what loophole Bezos is going to use in order to get out of this one...
    I would applaud a straight up tax ear marked for homeless relief, but given the source I assume it's a lie or an intentional distortion to provoke knuck poutrage.
    We do what we must because we can
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I would applaud a straight up tax ear marked for homeless relief, but given the source I assume it's a lie or an intentional distortion to provoke knuck poutrage.
    That was the discussion from yesterday, the NYT article I linked. My bet is that Bezos starts occupying space in empty warehouses just outside of Seattle's city limits. It keeps him in the area, and most of his staff intact, but avoids paying an extra $275/employee on the 40,000 working for him in that city today.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    DJ Tice, who is a very conservative columnist for the Minneapolis paper, and someone who has been a pretty vocal opponent of things like the $15/hr minimum, mandatory paid time off, etc..., wrote an interesting column a short time ago, in which he all but says he may have been too hasty and that there is always an opportunity to learn. He references a recent study that shows some meaningful benefits to these policies.

http://www.startribune.com/duly-note...age/480424363/
    I see the article doesn't address the true elephant in the room, which is how the added cost of labor is being handled by the employers who likely already have razor thin margins as it is, whether it's cutting back hours, raising prices, etc. Sure, it might make the employees happier in the short term, but all we're really doing is increasing the capital necessary to startup, while pushing out those who aren't able to keep up. Artificial creation of a monopoly for the sharks.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That was the discussion from yesterday, the NYT article I linked. My bet is that Bezos starts occupying space in empty warehouses just outside of Seattle's city limits. It keeps him in the area, and most of his staff intact, but avoids paying an extra $275/employee on the 40,000 working for him in that city today.
    Or keeps $19,999,999 in Seattle and off-shores the rest.

I see the article doesn't address the true elephant in the room, which is how the added cost of labor is being handled by the employers who likely already have razor thin margins as it is, whether it's cutting back hours, raising prices, etc. Sure, it might make the employees happier in the short term, but all we're really doing is increasing the capital necessary to startup, while pushing out those who aren't able to keep up. Artificial creation of a monopoly for the sharks.
    You're hilarious. You realize that labor is taxed at a much higher rate than Capital right? So, instead of raising wages too high for you how about we equal out the taxes? Oh, that doesn't work in your plutocratic dream world either?
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Or keeps $19,999,999 in Seattle and off-shores the rest.
    Amazon should just move to Billings. I assume the move costs could be covered by tax savings...along with the benefits of infrastructure, quality of labor, proximity to technology providers, etc.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Amazon should just move to Billings. I assume the move costs could be covered by tax savings...along with the benefits of infrastructure, quality of labor, proximity to technology providers, etc.
    Specifically what benefits over Seattle does Billings have in these areas? I lived in Billings for several years and I'm scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I've been to Billings. The baseball wasn't bad. The flight to Sidney was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Specifically what benefits over Seattle does Billings have in these areas? I lived in Billings for several years and I'm scratching my head.
    Your probably right. They should move for the baseball and access to Sydney.
    Go Gophers!

How can Goldman Sachs say the US fiscal outlook is not good? Aren’t people getting an extra 1.50 per paycheck???

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ok-is-not-good

Lucia Apologist

Good thing we didn’t cut taxes and eliminate a possible relief if a recession hits

wubba lubba dub dub

A little microeconomics for anyone who cares: I just gathered the annual tuition, fees, room and board, and (estimated) supplies at SCSU is stated on their site as $18,328. When I was a student my senior year, that same comparison was about $5,500. Using the $18,328, adjusting for the annual CPI as stated by the Fed, and going back to 1995, when I first paid tuition, that price would equate to $10,929.63.

The reason I bring this up is that MN universities are expecting flat or declining enrollment for the next number of years, and they're bouncing all around the reasons without pointing to the fact that universities simply cost too much now without offering the pay and benefits an undergrad degree could once all but guarantee. Why would I go to a university for a degree in business administration when I could get an HVAC education in two years, sign on with the union for an apprenticeship that pays about $20/hr, plus benefits, and nearly be set for life when I'm easily able to see the pay scales for journeymen and masters (assuming I'm not a complete wreck of an employee)?

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    A little microeconomics for anyone who cares: I just gathered the annual tuition, fees, room and board, and (estimated) supplies at SCSU is stated on their site as $18,328. When I was a student my senior year, that same comparison was about $5,500. Using the $18,328, adjusting for the annual CPI as stated by the Fed, and going back to 1995, when I first paid tuition, that price would equate to $10,929.63.

The reason I bring this up is that MN universities are expecting flat or declining enrollment for the next number of years, and they're bouncing all around the reasons without pointing to the fact that universities simply cost too much now without offering the pay and benefits an undergrad degree could once all but guarantee. Why would I go to a university for a degree in business administration when I could get an HVAC education in two years, sign on with the union for an apprenticeship that pays about $20/hr, plus benefits, and nearly be set for life when I'm easily able to see the pay scales for journeymen and masters (assuming I'm not a complete wreck of an employee)?

Hmm...
    Don't disagree.

Caveat - I'm guessing the quality of education is higher and education more complex (i.e., security) than it was in '95. I don't have the list of inputs and outputs to substantiate any of that...but it wouldn't surprise me if accounting for those would close the gap a fair amount.
    Go Gophers!

Thread Information