Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    What's interesting to me is we've become to accept tepid as the norm.

We haven't seen a real quarterly GDP number over 5% since the 1980s; we're supposed to think going over 3% is time for parades.

The problem with that? Be we get 5s or 3s, the bottoms still are ugly as ever. And it takes a lot more 3s than 5s to recover from those -8s and -10s.
    The broader point is - don't push for 5s when those are faar more likely to cause the -8s and -10s. This push for getting all the results this quarter is a major reason why the GOP - read W and Trump - are terrible at managing the US economy.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Odds that he is still employed by FB by Columbus Day??

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/t...tics&smtyp=cur
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Has anyone here held a job in an industry when things really started to slide downhill and you could sense that things would be drastically different in the next 5-7 years within said industry?

I currently work for a "big box" retailer and it's becoming blatantly clear why this sector is failing from my perspective on the ground floor. Just curious if others went through this process in whatever industry and what insight you walked away with. Also curious how you dealt with people that were taking a "step back" because they failed elsewhere? (In my case it's seeing a "Regional Manager" from a failed "big box" trying to be a store manager and not really having a clue how to work at this level since it's been years since they've been at said level)

It really is fascinating (while also frightening) to watch. At least until my job becomes threatened, which could probably be sooner than later
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

My plant had to fight like hell for a paid time off incentive program for new hires. Before this, you got no time off until year one. With this plan, if your attendance is perfect, you have the chance to earn time off.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Trump threatens to pull the US out of the WTO. His complaint is that the US too often gets the short end of the stick - some analysis shows the US wins about 90% when it is the complainant. This would damage the organization enough to hamper its ability to enforce much of anything.

But the international chaos plays into the GOPs hands - who else is better to fight in newly created global conflict than the GOP?
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_major View Post
              But the international chaos plays into Putin and Jinping's hands
              Fixed

It's all about subversion. The right has been subverted into thinking that their precious white, Xtian, Western way of life is under siege, and they are slowly descending into madness.

This is the "destabilization" phase.
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-31-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

@TIME: "A sad day." Alternative paper The Village Voice shuts down after 63 years and 3 Pulitzer Prizes https://ti.me/2C4QaJl
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Some insight into the executive order regarding retirement plans, and potential changes to required distributions: https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...urity-america/

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Trump threatens to pull the US out of the WTO. His complaint is that the US too often gets the short end of the stick - some analysis shows the US wins about 90% when it is the complainant. This would damage the organization enough to hamper its ability to enforce much of anything.

But the international chaos plays into the GOPs hands - who else is better to fight in newly created global conflict than the GOP?
                    Newly created? This has been in the works for a lot longer than you think. It's only been forced out to the open in the past couple of years; those who were sounding the alarm for many years prior were dismissed as "conspiracy theorists".

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      And who says we should be "overjoyed". Provide the source.

Otherwise, 3% is a sign of good steady economic growth. Growth that can be maintained over a long period of time. Not boom and bust like you Republicans like to do.

If your stocks grew 3%/quarter, you'd be overjoyed too.
                      Based on how things have been going, and how the 4.1% previous quarter growth was just recently revised to 4.2%, 3 would be a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Based on how things have been going, and how the 4.1% previous quarter growth was just recently revised to 4.2%, 3 would be a disappointment.
                        And as I said, Obama had at least four of five quarters better than that. But his economy was "terrible".

Don't blow a wad in your pants based on one good quarter.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          And as I said, Obama had at least four of five quarters better than that. But his economy was "terrible".

Don't blow a wad in your pants based on one good quarter.
                          Especially given the last year averages to slightly under 3%, 3% would be par for the course, so Flaggy is making **** up.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Its been awhile since we've had tariff news. And this should have some play...

Ford Cancels Focus Crossover For U.S. Consumers After Trump’s Trade War Tariffs

“Given the negative financial impact of the new tariffs, we’ve decided not to import this vehicle from China,” Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North America, said in a Friday conference call with reporters.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cf7b003629ae
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Its been awhile since we've had tariff news. And this should have some play...

Ford Cancels Focus Crossover For U.S. Consumers After Trump’s Trade War Tariffs

“Given the negative financial impact of the new tariffs, we’ve decided not to import this vehicle from China,” Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North America, said in a Friday conference call with reporters.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cf7b003629ae
                              Originally to be built in Mexico, but Red Don whined and beetched and bullied thinking Ford would cower down to him and build it in Detroit, and they took it overseas to China instead.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Great. That was the *ONLY* car that Ford was going to have in their lineup that didn't have a pony on the badging.

So, Ford will effectively have in the 2019/2020 vehicle lineup:
                                Cars -

Performance Cars -
                                Mustang (and it's variants)

SUV's -
                                Ecosport
                                Escape
                                Edge
                                Flex
                                Explorer
                                Expedition

Trucks & Vans -
                                F150 (and it's variants)
                                Ranger (and it's variants)
                                Transit Connect
                                Super Duty (and it's variants)
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X