Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Specifically what benefits over Seattle does Billings have in these areas? I lived in Billings for several years and I'm scratching my head.
    Your probably right. They should move for the baseball and access to Sydney.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

How can Goldman Sachs say the US fiscal outlook is not good? Aren’t people getting an extra 1.50 per paycheck???

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ok-is-not-good

Comment

Good thing we didn’t cut taxes and eliminate a possible relief if a recession hits
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A little microeconomics for anyone who cares: I just gathered the annual tuition, fees, room and board, and (estimated) supplies at SCSU is stated on their site as $18,328. When I was a student my senior year, that same comparison was about $5,500. Using the $18,328, adjusting for the annual CPI as stated by the Fed, and going back to 1995, when I first paid tuition, that price would equate to $10,929.63.

The reason I bring this up is that MN universities are expecting flat or declining enrollment for the next number of years, and they're bouncing all around the reasons without pointing to the fact that universities simply cost too much now without offering the pay and benefits an undergrad degree could once all but guarantee. Why would I go to a university for a degree in business administration when I could get an HVAC education in two years, sign on with the union for an apprenticeship that pays about $20/hr, plus benefits, and nearly be set for life when I'm easily able to see the pay scales for journeymen and masters (assuming I'm not a complete wreck of an employee)?

Hmm...
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            A little microeconomics for anyone who cares: I just gathered the annual tuition, fees, room and board, and (estimated) supplies at SCSU is stated on their site as $18,328. When I was a student my senior year, that same comparison was about $5,500. Using the $18,328, adjusting for the annual CPI as stated by the Fed, and going back to 1995, when I first paid tuition, that price would equate to $10,929.63.

The reason I bring this up is that MN universities are expecting flat or declining enrollment for the next number of years, and they're bouncing all around the reasons without pointing to the fact that universities simply cost too much now without offering the pay and benefits an undergrad degree could once all but guarantee. Why would I go to a university for a degree in business administration when I could get an HVAC education in two years, sign on with the union for an apprenticeship that pays about $20/hr, plus benefits, and nearly be set for life when I'm easily able to see the pay scales for journeymen and masters (assuming I'm not a complete wreck of an employee)?

Hmm...
            Don't disagree.

Caveat - I'm guessing the quality of education is higher and education more complex (i.e., security) than it was in '95. I don't have the list of inputs and outputs to substantiate any of that...but it wouldn't surprise me if accounting for those would close the gap a fair amount.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

It was a bit over $6K when I graduated from Clarkson in 1977. Now CCT runs a bit over $60K! I'm told aid brings it down to around $30K. That's still a lot of money if you haven't saved.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

25% tariff on imported cars sounds like a great idea!

http://hill.cm/VG3WZg4

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Don't disagree.

Caveat - I'm guessing the quality of education is higher and education more complex (i.e., security) than it was in '95. I don't have the list of inputs and outputs to substantiate any of that...but it wouldn't surprise me if accounting for those would close the gap a fair amount.
                  I highly doubt it got 600% more complex or whatever the percent increase in cost is.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    I highly doubt it got 600% more complex or whatever the percent increase in cost is.
                    Its about 230% more unadjusted by cost of living.

But unless I missed on what SC was communicating, the adjusted tuition paid was about $11k vs. just over $18k. My point was that today's workplace requirements and teaching environments are far more complex than they were nearly 25 years ago which should account for some of the gap.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

But unless I missed on what SC was communicating, the adjusted tuition paid was about $11k vs. just over $18k. My point was that today's workplace requirements and teaching environments are far more complex than they were nearly 25 years ago which should account for some of the gap.
                      More complex? B.S.

At least half the additional cost is the arms race in things like dorms that are nicer than my house. Which is ironic when the first dorms chosen in every housing lottery are almost always the older, crappier ones that are in the better locations closer to the center of campus.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        More complex? B.S.

At least half the additional cost is the arms race in things like dorms that are nicer than my house. Which is ironic when the first dorms chosen in every housing lottery are almost always the older, crappier ones that are in the better locations closer to the center of campus.
                        SCSU has been renovating its older dorms, closing them for a school year while the interiors are redesigned. They've also torn down one dorm entirely from my time there, and closed its twin dorm with intent of also tearing it down. And yet a third dorm, designed as "apartment living," where I spent a year, has also been closed. They intended to build new dorms, but with declining enrollment, they now just have some vacant buildings on campus.

Also, and this can't be stressed enough, it's SCSU. Only the most naïve would ever think it's a great school. While you can get a good education in some fields, that list of fields hasn't changed much and people still know SCSU for what it is - the place where two of my roommates thought that Washington, DC, was located in the state of Washington.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          It was a bit over $6K when I graduated from Clarkson in 1977. Now CCT runs a bit over $60K! I'm told aid brings it down to around $30K. That's still a lot of money if you haven't saved.
                          Aid there include loans
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Aid there include loans
                            Yeah 30k in loans isn’t such a great deal lol.
                            I know many of the privates have grants.

Comment

Only gender studies have become more complex

English lit still makes one read Faulkner
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Only gender studies have become more complex

English lit still makes one read Faulkner
                                Dr. Mrs taught Gender Studies and Gender and the Law. It was, and I say this with exactly the same reservations you would have, great stuff.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X