Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    Not everyone comes into their career and experiences rockstar success levels from day one. Something about this guy must have really impressed the staff and the players involved in the decision. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.
    You make it sound like no one has ever hired a bad coach in any sport ever.

But I assure you it happens. Someone was impressed with Frank Spaziani once.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Borek is a decent recruiter. Pearl would have been a awesome get for 'Mack (given Dennehy's firing), but everything happens for a reason.
      Maybe Borek will be on par with Dennehy, maybe even better.. maybe not. But now that he is hired, get behind him. Give him a chance.
      I felt same way with the Madigan hire at first, @ NU.. (being honest here). He could recruit & found some strong support staff as well & got things going. Feel good about things now. Anyway, best to 'Mack, i think you guys will be okay.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Borek is a decent recruiter. Pearl would have been a awesome get for 'Mack (given Dennehy's firing), but everything happens for a reason.
        Maybe Borek will be on par with Dennehy, maybe even better.. maybe not. But now that he is hired, get behind him. Give him a chance.
        I felt same way with the Madigan hire at first, @ NU.. (being honest here). He could recruit & found some strong support staff as well & got things going. Feel good about things now. Anyway, best to 'Mack, i think you guys will be okay.
        I personally was hoping for Pearl. Oh well not the end of the world and if I want to keep being a fan I need to give this guy a chance I guess.
        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
          Sigh. They had a chance to swing for the fences, and this feels a bit like a ground out to second. Is Borek REALLY a paradigm shift improvement over Dennehy? Honest, I want to be excited, and the cover page article is really positive, but I'm not feelin' it. Just down right now. Gallant and Gibson, let's see what this looks like in a couple years, because you're both on the hook for this hire.
          I think Gibson has done a good job.. j'ai about everybcoaching hire around campus has been excellent since he got to MC. Which leads me to believe this isn't his decision.. maybe Gallant.. maybe Hopey is pulling the strings for hockey decisions (I've heard that rumor in the past).

Comment

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
            I think Gibson has done a good job.. j'ai about everybcoaching hire around campus has been excellent since he got to MC. Which leads me to believe this isn't his decision.. maybe Gallant.. maybe Hopey is pulling the strings for hockey decisions (I've heard that rumor in the past).
            WHat other big coaching hires have there been? A lot of the big ones he inherited right? And I heard rumors on Hopey too. I am not a fan of his.
            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Are they streaming the press conference today?
              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                I'd grade him at a B for his time at UNH, which disappointed as he was following an A assistant. He made several notable mistakes that contributed greatly to UNH dropping from top 4 to the middle, but also was instrumental in the couple of high profile recruits like JVR and Farabee. You can see how UNH completely fell apart after he left in 2015 (recruiting and on-ice), and how top level recruits de-committed (Farabee, Ryczek). This shows that he was doing all the work while the Former Coach took early retirement. He then did well at Providence, with the benefits of a higher profile and more engaged coach.

He's not a home-run hotshot. But he's a solid hockey guy, like Dennehy, but perhaps with a better eye toward the sort of recruits Merrimack would attract, and also is comfortable in getting volume more than high-end, so will really help get Merrimack the depth needed for HE.
                Well i’m Going to have to disagree with my fellow UNH fan. In the time Borek was the lead recruiter, the quality of the talent brought in got progressively worse. Yes, JVR played at UNH but, honestly, he fell into their lap since he had made it known that he wanted to play on the big sheet to allegedly improve his skating. No question he was treated well and it is why TVR and BVR followed. Watcher also glosses over the email fiasco,which led to a four month ban on emailing recruits and two years probation, and the loss of players like LaLeggia and Vecchione who he recommended be deferred. Ultimately the problems at UNH the past half dozen years should be placed on Umile’s doorstep. But Umile was never much of a hands on recruiter and put his faith in his assistants to do the heavy lifting. When McCloskey and Lassonde were on board, there were few disappointments on and off the ice. After McCloskey went off to coach the UNH women and Borek was brought in the quality of the product dropped. There should be no dispute on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Well i’m Going to have to disagree with my fellow UNH fan. In the time Borek was the lead recruiter, the quality of the talent brought in got progressively worse. Yes, JVR played at UNH but, honestly, he fell into their lap since he had made it known that he wanted to play on the big sheet to allegedly improve his skating. No question he was treated well and it is why TVR and BVR followed. Watcher also glosses over the email fiasco,which led to a four month ban on emailing recruits and two years probation, and the loss of players like LaLeggia and Vecchione who he recommended be deferred. Ultimately the problems at UNH the past half dozen years should be placed on Umile’s doorstep. But Umile was never much of a hands on recruiter and put his faith in his assistants to do the heavy lifting. When McCloskey and Lassonde were on board, there were few disappointments on and off the ice. After McCloskey went off to coach the UNH women and Borek was brought in the quality of the product dropped. There should be no dispute on that.
                  Agree. Though it may be worse now at UNH than when he was there.
                  Last edited by scoreboard; 04-11-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

@mattyfranche: I have decided to reopen my recruitment process and decommit from Merrimack College, looking forward to the challenges ahead!
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      @mattyfranche: I have decided to reopen my recruitment process and decommit from Merrimack College, looking forward to the challenges ahead!
                      Great recruits already jumping ship
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Article from the Mack Report site:
                        http://www.themackreport.com/news/bo...-at-merrimack/

Comment

Thoughts from presser:
                          1) both Gibson and Borek thanked GALLANT in their opening statement. ***?? Seems like the rumors are true about his influence. Borek said he met with GALLANT, hopey, and Gibson on his first visit. Wow.
                          2) I actually really liked his message and his attitude. Exactly what I wanted to hear.. and i think what a lot of alums wanted to hear. The story about his son was very touching.
                          3) Gibson was a college baseball player? Yet bulldozed MCs baseball field and has pretty much buried that program? What kind of former athlete would do that to THEIR sport - weird.
                          Last edited by MC Alumni; 04-11-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Really impressed with Boreks interview with McMahon and CHN. Very self aware and honest when talking about Lake state.. very self aware, knows his vision, and has a fire and intensity that is refreshing. I was skeptical but very excited to see how things work out.

Comment

I really respect that Hopey is not about a "Well, that's how we always did it" culture. Which Merrimack traditionally had.. very incestuous in terms of hiring back alums into staff and faculty.. I think there's a place for that but in order to improve as a school, we have to balance that with looking outside the bubble.

I don't know much about this Gallant guy as a person, and it is a little concerning if he butted heads with all around great guy Dennehey, but one major donor is better than zero major donors. We very easily could have ended up like Mt. Ida. And the academic offerings at the school seem to be doing pretty well, which is what really ends up being important.
                              Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 04-12-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Borek said himself: "were here to win championships"
                                People can laugh at that.. whatever, but it's a nice change! Guess what? If he never wins a championship- if he only has 2 winning seasons over 13 years ... he's still accomplished as much as the previous guy! Why not use this rhetoric?! I love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X