X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
    Borek said himself: "were here to win championships"
    People can laugh at that.. whatever, but it's a nice change! Guess what? If he never wins a championship- if he only has 2 winning seasons over 13 years ... he's still accomplished as much as the previous guy! Why not use this rhetoric?! I love it.
    I'd rather that than "well we competed tonight, we worked hard, thought there were long stretches where we played well" after losing 4-1.
    anyone hearing anything about this Gallant guy?Some of the players who where there when I was at the school, who I am still close too, say that there are some things there that might come out soon and could be bad.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Borek said himself: "were here to win championships"
      People can laugh at that.. whatever, but it's a nice change! Guess what? If he never wins a championship- if he only has 2 winning seasons over 13 years ... he's still accomplished as much as the previous guy! Why not use this rhetoric?! I love it.
      Time will tell here but Bazin said something similar about winning championships during his introductory event at Lowell in 2011. We were all sort of "yeah, right" as Lowell was coming off of an horrendous 5 win season. But lo and behold, Lowell found themselves in the NCAA regional finals the very next season in 2012 and one win short of the Frozen Four. The first Hockey East tournament championship came the next season in 2013 and a Frozen Four appearance. So lightning can strike and Lowell is proof of it since 2011-2012.
      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Comment

Yes saw that reported last week. McMahon tweeted it......
          Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

We got some new sweaters: http://www.themackreport.com/news/me...ockey-jerseys/

I like the return to home whites and the option for the third jersey. I like the commitment to the MC logo - I believe it has gotten some traction out there in the world. Otherwise, a little blah. I liked our old road jerseys a lot. I know Underarmor does BC as well and they also are pretty meh outside some of their gimmick jerseys.

Comment

Like The new white jerseys - sad to see the old blues go.. always a fan favorite. Borek got his first recruit.. supposedly "seney-esque" lots of speed/hard working.
              Also seems like we'll be playing Bentley at their new arena this year.. looking forward to that.

Comment

Borek got his first recruit.. supposedly "seney-esque" lots of speed/hard working.
                I suspect this guy profiles to what some UNH people call typical Borek light scholarship/build depth player. Certainly huge difference between Seney who was a true freshman and Ungren-Sternberg who is an aged out junior player, and mostly likely full vs partial scholarship, NHL radar vs not.

I would be interested if Borek was on him in his 16U days while at UNH and this is the culmination chasing the kid since he was 15 or 16?

He committed to Brown before 13-14 season coming out of 16U play for 16-17. Not sure of why decommitted from Brown in ‘16 except he was deferred, in interim while committed he went to the Wenatchee after a poor 1/3 of season in USHL and had a full season at Wenatchee which would leave his future in those who Still saw positive projection in his skill set.

Borek clearly did as sometime in fall of ‘16 PC showed interest in him. Suspect he couldn’t sell Leaman on him and first Forward PC got about time interest waned was another Borek pick from his UNH days Jason O’Neill, so I’d say his expectations would be slightly lesser version of O’Neill pumped up by fact Borek clearly sees something to build on in this kid.
                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I do not think Lake Superior fans were to happy with the time Borek spent there as head coach .

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    I'd grade him at a B for his time at UNH, which disappointed as he was following an A assistant. He made several notable mistakes that contributed greatly to UNH dropping from top 4 to the middle, but also was instrumental in the couple of high profile recruits like JVR and Farabee. You can see how UNH completely fell apart after he left in 2015 (recruiting and on-ice), and how top level recruits de-committed (Farabee, Ryczek). This shows that he was doing all the work while the Former Coach took early retirement. He then did well at Providence, with the benefits of a higher profile and more engaged coach.

He's not a home-run hotshot. But he's a solid hockey guy, like Dennehy, but perhaps with a better eye toward the sort of recruits Merrimack would attract, and also is comfortable in getting volume more than high-end, so will really help get Merrimack the depth needed for HE.
                    What has he really done at Providence? He came into the program coming off a national championship team and has a bunch of "grinding" players with no elites under him. Both Foley and Pinho were before Borek came to the school. Who on their roster (freshmen and sophomores this past season) do you see playing at the next level? I am a Providence supporter but hated the Borek hire and wasn't happy with his recruits who haven't shown anything.
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      What has he really done at Providence? He came into the program coming off a national championship team and has a bunch of "grinding" players with no elites under him. Both Foley and Pinho were before Borek came to the school. Who on their roster (freshmen and sophomores this past season) do you see playing at the next level? I am a Providence supporter but hated the Borek hire and wasn't happy with his recruits who haven't shown anything.
                      I do not know when these players committed, and to who, but out of the freshmen and sophomore on the Providence roster, Wilkins, Duhaime, Bryson, Bjorkqist, Mirageas, Sukumaran and Young would almost all be the best players on next year's merrimack team. Maybe Seney and Kovacevic are better than some, but those guys are better than almost everyone else on Merrimack last year.
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        He built on that run by kids who now cement them as top 4, replacing UNH. As mentioned, got late recruits Wilkins, Duhaime, Mirageas and Bjorkquist (and even Kawaguchi, before he was deferred)

Jay O'Brien, a second round pick this year, Jack Dugan, a top 3 USHL scorer, Mike Callahan a mid round pick defender,

For the future, Brett Berard, a US National kid, Maxwell Crozier.

Add in two top Ontario kids who would have been impact but went major junior, Cam Hills and Merrick Rippon.

So lots of positives in the pipeline, effectively taking from UNH the "non-Boston HE top 4 team."
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          He built on that run by kids who now cement them as top 4, replacing UNH. As mentioned, got late recruits Wilkins, Duhaime, Mirageas and Bjorkquist (and even Kawaguchi, before he was deferred)

Jay O'Brien, a second round pick this year, Jack Dugan, a top 3 USHL scorer, Mike Callahan a mid round pick defender,

For the future, Brett Berard, a US National kid, Maxwell Crozier.

Add in two top Ontario kids who would have been impact but went major junior, Cam Hills and Merrick Rippon.

So lots of positives in the pipeline, effectively taking from UNH the "non-Boston HE top 4 team."
                          It’s not as simple to Evaluate him at PC recruiting wise it was always a group effort with Leaman a prime mover. I think this coming winter would have been a real test, could his groundwork be converted to build on the 21 class grab impacts for 22 and even finish off 20 while on the fly figuring how to possibly replace 4-5 players who are likely to leave early.

Mirageas came on board during Miller era as did Kawaguchi. Borek was in the camp to go in another direction on him

Add Conway to rebuilt Incoming ‘17 group he played role. Bryson was early in Miller era. Barr had role

O’Brien groundwork pre Borek. Almost entirely Leaman and Mayotte
                          Hakkarainen was mostly done pre Borek
                          Dugan played at Northwood for Leaman college teammate
                          Thompson was also groundwork pre Borek mostly Leaman and Mayotte
                          Same with Callahan

Rippon and Hillis were more Mayotte, Rhodes who also went major junior was a Borek (mid Atlantic guy)

Had groundwork part of Ford, Gould, Ehrnberg, Johnson, Printz, O’Neill, Ryzcek, Conger, Baum, Zieky (recruited walk on) Koopmans, Mulera (if anyone jumps to Merrimack it’s him—another mid Atlantic guy), McDermot, Harding though some of that groundwork on most of these predates him and Leaman/Mayotte did quite a bit to close. Tyler Young was a group effort

Ones most responsible for are the ones for ‘21. Vallesse again Mid Atlantic, Berard, hard to know how much legacy, growing up at Schneider, being a RIer, David was with Leaman a year in 14, but David was also A player at PC during first Borek PC go round and his assistant at Colby and LSSU. Add Alami also
                          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                            It’s not as simple to Evaluate him at PC recruiting wise it was always a group effort with Leaman a prime mover. I think this coming winter would have been a real test, could his groundwork be converted to build on the 21 class grab impacts for 22 and even finish off 20 while on the fly figuring how to possibly replace 4-5 players who are likely to leave early.

Mirageas came on board during Miller era as did Kawaguchi. Borek was in the camp to go in another direction on him

Add Conway to rebuilt Incoming ‘17 group he played role. Bryson was early in Miller era. Barr had role

O’Brien groundwork pre Borek. Almost entirely Leaman and Mayotte
                            Hakkarainen was mostly done pre Borek
                            Dugan played at Northwood for Leaman college teammate
                            Thompson was also groundwork pre Borek mostly Leaman and Mayotte
                            Same with Callahan

Rippon and Hillis were more Mayotte, Rhodes who also went major junior was a Borek (mid Atlantic guy)

Had groundwork part of Ford, Gould, Ehrnberg, Johnson, Printz, O’Neill, Ryzcek, Conger, Baum, Zieky (recruited walk on) Koopmans, Mulera (if anyone jumps to Merrimack it’s him—another mid Atlantic guy), McDermot, Harding though some of that groundwork on most of these predates him and Leaman/Mayotte did quite a bit to close. Tyler Young was a group effort

Ones most responsible for are the ones for ‘21. Vallesse again Mid Atlantic, Berard, hard to know how much legacy, growing up at Schneider, being a RIer, David was with Leaman a year in 14, but David was also A player at PC during first Borek PC go round and his assistant at Colby and LSSU. Add Alami also
                            Based on what you say here...one kid who is expected to be an impact player in Berard and we don’t know how much the father’s relationship to PC played into this. The other players are grinders that haven’t shown elite skills!
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

If nothing else, the Borek hiring has really increased traffic on our threads!

Comment

http://www.themackreport.com/news/re...graduate-rule/

Bummer! I can't blame him though.

Comment

Working...
                                X