• Show
Clear All

• Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

New coach, time for a new thread.
    Today we skate with 'em.

Re: Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
    New coach, time for a new thread.
    I wonder if he will clean house, if so he will need to find a good poacher. 😊

Comment

Love the title of your new thread...wonder if any of his PC recruits will follow him to MC? Hey don't laugh it happens...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Love the title of your new thread...wonder if any of his PC recruits will follow him to MC? Hey don't laugh it happens...
        I was thinking (and hoping) the same thing. Someone told me once that Aston-Reese was supposed to go to Brown? Then the Brown assistant (Keefe) went to Northeastern and he followed him
        Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

I was thinking (and hoping) the same thing. Someone told me once that Aston-Reese was supposed to go to Brown? Then the Brown assistant (Keefe) went to Northeastern and he followed him
          yup.. so did Kevin Roy.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            yup.. so did Kevin Roy.
            Holy $%#$ really? ****, Brown could have been good lol
            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

It's no secret that when Scott Borek went to PC a dman we were excited about went with him (and subsequently left PC). Players do this all the time...you never know.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I don't understand this hire at all. 50+ candidates I was hoping for somewhat of a new direction. I don't see how this is a step up from dennehy. But will give him his fair chance before I judge. Just seems like an odd hire considering the candidates.

Comment

Sigh. They had a chance to swing for the fences, and this feels a bit like a ground out to second. Is Borek REALLY a paradigm shift improvement over Dennehy? Honest, I want to be excited, and the cover page article is really positive, but I'm not feelin' it. Just down right now. Gallant and Gibson, let's see what this looks like in a couple years, because you're both on the hook for this hire.
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Probably you will find he is a great hire.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      Sigh. They had a chance to swing for the fences, and this feels a bit like a ground out to second. Is Borek REALLY a paradigm shift improvement over Dennehy? Honest, I want to be excited, and the cover page article is really positive, but I'm not feelin' it. Just down right now. Gallant and Gibson, let's see what this looks like in a couple years, because you're both on the hook for this hire.
                      Gallant wont be on the hook for anything. He gives the college a lot of money. He purchased his say and as long as he keeps cutting checks he will keep having a say. Gibson will get canned if this blows up in their face and he should. All we heard about for a month was how many great candidates they had, NHL guys, and we got this guy. If the people really making this decision were Gallant and Gibson then I am really worried because very clearly neither of them know a single thing about hockey.
                      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Tyce Thompson would be a nice poach, for a number of reasons.

Comment

Gallant wont be on the hook for anything. He gives the college a lot of money. He purchased his say and as long as he keeps cutting checks he will keep having a say. Gibson will get canned if this blows up in their face and he should. All we heard about for a month was how many great candidates they had, NHL guys, and we got this guy. If the people really making this decision were Gallant and Gibson then I am really worried because very clearly neither of them know a single thing about hockey.
                          Not everyone comes into their career and experiences rockstar success levels from day one. Something about this guy must have really impressed the staff and the players involved in the decision. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

If it does blow up in their face.. ugh, it would take quite a while for the program to recover..

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                            Not everyone comes into their career and experiences rockstar success levels from day one. Something about this guy must have really impressed the staff and the players involved in the decision. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

If it does blow up in their face.. ugh, it would take quite a while for the program to recover..
                            I think a big part will be who is on the staff. McMahon tweeted that Curtis Carr is staying on and I think that is good. I wonder who that second assistant will be. It would be awesome if he could get an alumni in there but I am not sure what alumni are in the coaching ranks. Bobby Jay? But he is old and I think you want a young guy to help talk to the kids when recruiting. Maybe get a goalie coach? I think it would be awesome to get Tom Welby or Jim Healy back on the staff like they were in the past for an alumni connection.
                            Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post

I'd grade him at a B for his time at UNH, which disappointed as he was following an A assistant. He made several notable mistakes that contributed greatly to UNH dropping from top 4 to the middle, but also was instrumental in the couple of high profile recruits like JVR and Farabee. You can see how UNH completely fell apart after he left in 2015 (recruiting and on-ice), and how top level recruits de-committed (Farabee, Ryczek). This shows that he was doing all the work while the Former Coach took early retirement. He then did well at Providence, with the benefits of a higher profile and more engaged coach.

He's not a home-run hotshot. But he's a solid hockey guy, like Dennehy, but perhaps with a better eye toward the sort of recruits Merrimack would attract, and also is comfortable in getting volume more than high-end, so will really help get Merrimack the depth needed for HE.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                              X