Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

Originally posted by MC Alumni View Post
    Again, the money is there.. they just raised $55million for athletics..
    Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    They didn’t raise 55 million dollars for athletics. They’ve raised 48 out of the targeted 50 million capital campaign for the entire college. Academics, facilities like the new business building, new housing and the stadium are all covered by that. It looks like athletics gets about 6 mil of the pie.

Details here: https://www.merrimack.edu/together-for-good/

You can blow thru 50 mil pretty fast. Let’s just hope they are spending it in the best way to meet the sustained long term goals of the college.
    Actually, even if Merrimack had raised $55 million just for athletics that is not much money at all for running a full DI athletic department. If you look at my NCAA Financials workbook you will see that Merrimack spent $6.9 million in 2010 to $16.4 million in 2016 on their athletic programs (men's hockey spent from just under $1.4 million in 2010 to just under $2 million in 2016). For full Division I schools the lowest annual athletic department expenditure was $9.1 million by Canisius in 2010 and in 2016 it was just $10.4 million by Niagara. Only Niagara and Canisius spent less than Merrimack in 2016, neither which has football. Robert Morris spent the least among schools with football, $17.6 million. So Merrimack currently does support athletics at the lower end of sustainable DI programs with hockey, but $5 million is a drop in the bucket.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Actually, even if Merrimack had raised $55 million just for athletics that is not much money at all for running a full DI athletic department. If you look at my NCAA Financials workbook you will see that Merrimack spent $6.9 million in 2010 to $16.4 million in 2016 on their athletic programs (men's hockey spent from just under $1.4 million in 2010 to just under $2 million in 2016). For full Division I schools the lowest annual athletic department expenditure was $9.1 million by Canisius in 2010 and in 2016 it was just $10.4 million by Niagara. Only Niagara and Canisius spent less than Merrimack in 2016, neither which has football. Robert Morris spent the least among schools with football, $17.6 million. So Merrimack currently does support athletics at the lower end of sustainable DI programs with hockey, but $5 million is a drop in the bucket.

Sean
      I don't think anyone is suggesting they are going to be Alabama. They are going to be a small D1 at the NEC level like Wagner, Bryant and other similar schools. D2 is stupid in reality. Either be D1 or completely take money out of sports and go D3. Also, people are forgetting the money opportunities at D1 so yeah, they will spend more, but I guarantee you that you will see football and both basketball take "paid games" to help make up for it.
      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
        I don't think anyone is suggesting they are going to be Alabama. They are going to be a small D1 at the NEC level like Wagner, Bryant and other similar schools. D2 is stupid in reality. Either be D1 or completely take money out of sports and go D3. Also, people are forgetting the money opportunities at D1 so yeah, they will spend more, but I guarantee you that you will see football and both basketball take "paid games" to help make up for it.
        Well, there are 305 or so D2 schools and I doubt most would think playing D2 is stupid. However, as far as Merrimack goes they have the highest expenditure on athletics of the D2 schools that play DI hockey and are not far behind UML (which was in year 3 of transitioning to DI in 2016). So it is apparent that the current Merrimack administration is committed to athletics and appears to be positioning the teams for a move to DI when the opportunity presents itself. I was just pointing out that you need that type of commitment as donations to athletics cover just a small piece of the pie for most schools.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Mark Dennehy named Wheeling Nailers HC...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Mark Dennehy named Wheeling Nailers HC...
            Cool; good for Dennehy. Nick Sorkin led the Nailers in assists (49) and points (58) this past season, and now Tirone is there, too, with a bunch of other Hockey East alums.

Comment

Almost heaven... West Virginia!

Comment

Honestly wheeling is a good spot. I started following the ECHL more when Manchester got put in their league and Wheeling is always one of the better teams (although not the last two years). Donatelli did an awesome job with them when he was there.
                Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Schedule is out! https://merrimackathletics.com/news/...e-july-10.aspx

Looking forward to checking out Bentley's new rink. Also, a trip to Ann Arbor should be interesting. It's always nice to catch BU/BC early in the season too.

Comment

Almost heaven... West Virginia!
                    Blue ridge mountains
                    Shennedoah river

Life is old here
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Welp, our best recruit just decommitted: https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...70574870126598

Another guy to boo in a few years..

Comment

Welp, our best recruit just decommitted: https://***********/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...70574870126598

Another guy to boo in a few years..
                        That's too bad. He would have been a second generation player. His Dad is a prep coach. Probably the last kid you might expect to decommit.

Comment

New Merrimack recruit...

https://***********/cstoever30/statu...418123776?s=19

Comment

Merrimack 2018-19: It's Time For The Scotty Bo Show

New director of Hockey Ops Jim Tortorella is the leading candidate to take the Harvard HC opening. Shame, it sounds like we must be losing a talented guy. But there’s other good candidates out there hopefully.

Comment

New director of Hockey Ops Jim Tortorella is the leading candidate to take the Harvard HC opening. Shame, it sounds like we must be losing a talented guy. But there’s other good candidates out there hopefully.
                              Someone might want to tell Donato he's losing his job
                              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Lol, good catch. Things a little crazy over here lately. Harvard Assistant opening.

Comment

Working...
                                X