Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Off- Season of Progress and Hope

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    I'm gonna wait until I see the final roster--as well as some of these new guys actually play--before jumping into lines and combos.

But I do believe that a good number--maybe even 6 or 7 current players--could possibly see themselves fighting to stay off the scratch list as we enter the season. And I think this is a good thing--if new guys are replacing guys already on the roster, it probably means those new guys are better, and that can only bring benefits for the team.
    Very enough! Now let's talk about the goalie situation. Last year's performance was pretty good as it was not a revolving door. That being said, IMHO Buffalo while good was inconsistent and I understand it is very difficult to maintain that consistency all year season, as displayed in the Harvard quarterfinals. That leads us to the returners in Clark and Shatzer with Clark being the clear and most likely incumbent based on last year's performance and games played. Like we both have mentioned earlier, we believe Clark's "potential" is higher than that of Buffalo. Shatzer did not play much so I cannot really comment outside of him getting a great opportunity. As far as the freshman, we will see.

Comment

On another topic, my wish list is for the coaching staff to find a power play unit that can click. 11% last year. They were 16% the year before and that included an 0-for-57 start to the season, so it was very good after that: 26% the rest of the way.

I won't get greedy and expect 26% again: that would be top 5 in the NCAA. But 19% isn't too much to ask: right in the middle of the pack. Given the offensive talent the team has it's a reasonable expectation. But the top scorers didn't get it done on the PP last year: Graber, Sellar and Foreman had one power play goal all season, as did Kalk who was very good on the PP the previous 2 seasons. The leading returnee for PPG is Alex Jasiek, and while I am a big Jasiek fan, that shouldn't be the case--he can't be your leading power play scorer.

The PP could be a difference maker if they can get to that point. It was a difference maker last year I believe, just not in a good way: 1 for 22 in the postseason is just atrocious.

I could not agree with you more as I have been hammering that fact for awhile now. It starts with a scheme, then the players to fit that scheme, then the objective of that scheme, and so forth. Their entries were not good and clean and to compound their puck retrieval was worse trying to free up the puck to set up, all this while the clock is winding down. Their first unit was the the skill unit but zone time was difficult as Kalk and Jasiek had trouble retrieving (board battles) and once they did Kalk was too fidgety and impatient. While the weakside one-timers look good it is very difficult with their skill set. Yau needs to be shooting more to keep the opposing forwards honest and less likely to pack it in. The second unit was just the TREE line version with a man advantage. It needs a weakside shooter on a pass from Graber through the box but I do like the down low action of Forman and Sellar in the slot. More to come as far as potential PP units.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        Very enough! Now let's talk about the goalie situation. Last year's performance was pretty good as it was not a revolving door. That being said, IMHO Buffalo while good was inconsistent and I understand it is very difficult to maintain that consistency all year season, as displayed in the Harvard quarterfinals. That leads us to the returners in Clark and Shatzer with Clark being the clear and most likely incumbent based on last year's performance and games played. Like we both have mentioned earlier, we believe Clark's "potential" is higher than that of Buffalo. Shatzer did not play much so I cannot really comment outside of him getting a great opportunity. As far as the freshman, we will see.
        I think Shatzer is the eternal #3 goaltender. I would be shocked if he's not in that position again behind Clark and Ferguson (assuming he'll be on the roster--I think he will be, as everything about him online says so).

I'm very high on Clark. Good size, takes up a lot of the net, moves well, plays angles well--just needs consistency. Since he was never the #1 netminder I don't think he was ever able to get into a groove. I do believe that will come this season, and that he can even improve upon the very fine goaltending that Buffalo provided.

The second unit was just the TREE line version with a man advantage. It needs a weakside shooter on a pass from Graber through the box but I do like the down low action of Forman and Sellar in the slot. More to come as far as potential PP units.
        If they have the personnel, I'd be interested in seeing Graber on the point for the PP. IF they have the personnel.....

Comment

The second unit was just the TREE line version with a man advantage. It needs a weakside shooter on a pass from Graber through the box but I do like the down low action of Forman and Sellar in the slot. More to come as far as potential PP units.

If they have the personnel, I'd be interested in seeing Graber on the point for the PP. IF they have the personnel.....

Good catch and point on Graber has he has manned the PP from the point in the past and is certainly a viable option. However IMHO he is more dangerous on the left half wall because that location is a more dangerous offensive play making position compared to the point. Besides he is in a more scoring and passing location; using his sheer length can outright change the angle of the puck and make the net bigger for him compared to others. This all assuming that the units stay relatively the same. If they did want to tinker, maybe Yau and Graber combo. Do we forget that Carl Hesler will certainly be in the mix as well. Thoughts, GreenBear?

Comment

So the BG will need to bring in one if not two D's and right handed is possible. Stay tuned and thoughts Greenbear?
            Harrison Markell is a right handed shooting defenceman. I'm fairly sure he'll be with Dartmouth next season. Like Brendan Less who adjusted quickly and very well to NCAA hockey he's a former USPHL all-star so I have high hopes. Decent size at 6'1, 185 pounds may increase in college.

One thing off the wish list!

Comment

Harrison Markell is a right handed shooting defenceman. I'm fairly sure he'll be with Dartmouth next season. Like Brendan Less who adjusted quickly and very well to NCAA hockey he's a former USPHL all-star so I have high hopes. Decent size at 6'1, 185 pounds may increase in college.

One thing off the wish list!
              Awesome! I hope you are right in your assessment. If he can be like Less, consistent if not spectacular, that would fit. While I am greedy, maybe a tad more "****/vinegar" and harder shot! Like I stated earlier, if this kid plays out, have him paired with Yau to mentor and also "cover" for him. So with that said here as the pairings: Yau/Markell Matthews/Less Demler/Han with Roth (needs to regain confidence and form) and Dimaio in the picture to give lefty/righty options (not essential but helps especially on PK). Thoughts GreenBear???

Comment

2018 Team Awards: http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...CLID=211715837

Comment

Team Awards for the 2017-18 Season

MVP - Devin Buffalo
                  Rookie of the Year - Quin Forman
                  Most Improved - Shane Sellar

The awards were handed out to the above players, as voted by the players. But here's a slightly different take on these awards. By no means is this a means of disrespect because these players absolutely deserved and earned their status as chosen by their peers.

MVP - Will Graber Once he started getting hot his TREE line and team got rolling with some much needed offensive production. It is no surprise that the above recipients were greatly helped out by Graber as we have discussed during the season.

Rookie of the Year - Brendan Less We all know how difficult it is to play defense let alone as a freshman but Less did with consistency and without panache which is exactly what you would want out of a D. He played in all scenarios 5 on 5, PP(little bit) and PK

Most Improved - Shane Sellar You talk about fulfilling your role and playing honestly and the right way...that's him. He frankly does more with less and maximizing his strengths and minimizing his improvement areas.

Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

Team Awards for the 2017-18 Season

MVP - Devin Buffalo
                    Rookie of the Year - Quin Forman
                    Most Improved - Shane Sellar

The awards were handed out to the above players, as voted by the players. But here's a slightly different take on these awards. By no means is this a means of disrespect because these players absolutely deserved and earned their status as chosen by their peers.

MVP - Will Graber Once he started getting hot his TREE line and team got rolling with some much needed offensive production. It is no surprise that the above recipients were greatly helped out by Graber as we have discussed during the season.

Rookie of the Year - Brendan Less We all know how difficult it is to play defense let alone as a freshman but Less did with consistency and without panache which is exactly what you would want out of a D. He played in all scenarios 5 on 5, PP(little bit) and PK

Most Improved - Shane Sellar You talk about fulfilling your role and playing honestly and the right way...that's him. He frankly does more with less and maximizing his strengths and minimizing his improvement areas.

Thoughts GreenBear?
                    I'd have stayed with Buffalo for MVP. Most of the time, the team played differently, and with more confidence when he was in net. That's not to say that Clark did not play exceptionally well at time, but Buffalo had established himself as the starter and was on top of his game most nights, and the team responded. But Graber and Buffalo were the only players who really could have staked a claim to MVP this past season.

I could have gone with Less as ROY. I'm fine w/ Foreman. But I saw a lot in Less, and I think that because he's a defenseman and doesn't put up points he gets overlooked by a lot of people (not teammates or coaches--more fans, etc). Less was my unsung hero on the ice. That's not related to the team's unsung hero award which goes beyond that--I defer to players and coaches judgment w/ Rymsha & Shatzer of course--but I really liked Less' quiet game. He doesn't stand out, but he may have been the most dependable guy in the Dartmouth defensive zone all year.

Sellar was a shoo-in for most improved. I mean, how could it go to anyone else?

Comment

Carl Hesler's return to Dartmouth appears official. He's listed again on the team roster, as a senior. The current players have been bumped up a class, and the incoming players aren't there yet; I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully soon.

Also, Jamie McLaughlin is not listed, so he may have left the program.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/Sport...417.1525032836
                      Last edited by GreenBear; 06-17-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Dartmouth has yet to release its schedule but has notified season ticket holders that if they haven't paid for the 2018-19 year by Aug. 1st they lose their tickets.

Comment

Carl Hesler's return to Dartmouth appears official. He's listed again on the team roster, as a senior. The current players have been bumped up a class, and the incoming players aren't there yet; I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully soon.

Also, Jamie McLaughlin is not listed, so he may have left the program.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/Sport...417.1525032836
                          Now that it is Dartmouth official, Carl Hesler's return is great news for the Big Green! Carl will undoubtedly be either 1c or 2c and will play a major role in PP/PK's well. I should prefaced this by saying from what I have seen from Carl the last few years. Now after injury and a one year hiatus, who knows about his injury recovery or his hockey form. But I am betting a Carl being the Carl I am used to seeing...200 ft player that plays the game the right and honest way. He will make the Big Green better!

It will be very interesting to see the incoming freshmen list. As far as McLaughlin goes, he did not get much TOI and when he did, not much happen either way, positive or negative. Regardless, good luck to McLaughlin.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
                            Dartmouth has yet to release its schedule but has notified season ticket holders that if they haven't paid for the 2018-19 year by Aug. 1st they lose their tickets.
                            And it's a bit of a tricky one to figure out, since there's one unknown game. I think we can safely say Harvard will be 1 Feb, and if the alternating pattern holds, it'll be at Harvard. The missing opponent will most likely be UVM, although they've taken a break from their SLU series so I can't be sure (despite you being their closest opponent in distance). If they are, perhaps you'd start the season with them, since they have a "3rd game" at UNH on that same weekend? I have an odd feeling that the Bentley game would be the weekend of 4-5 January, and if it is, it'd be the 4th, with Bentley playing Harvard on the 5th. Maybe BU fits in there? Where does the other Harvard game fit? Maybe in the same weekend as UVM?

This is just a hypothesis, I'm not saying it's what has been reported, so obviously I'm not filling in anything on the spreadsheet in that other thread. Any disproving would be helpful.

Comment

All schedule questions can now be answered:

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/Sport...B_OEM_ID=11600

Key games--

Opening night: Oct 27 (Homecoming) vs Harvard
                              Tennis Balls: Friday, Nov 2 vs. Princeton
                              Out of conference: Nov 24 (vs. Vermont), Dec 7 & 8 (home/home with UNH), Dec 14 (at BU), Jan 5 (at Bentley)
                              Ledyard: We knew this already, but Army and Providence
                              Senior night: Feb 23 (Brown)

However: Feb 1 game is non-bold face but says it's in Hanover. I believe as said earlier we can safely assume it's at Harvard. Ditto Feb 8: RPI should be bold faced as that game is definitely at home.
                              Last edited by GreenBear; 06-21-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

All schedule questions can now be answered:

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/Sport...B_OEM_ID=11600

Key games--

Opening night: Oct 27 (Homecoming) vs Harvard
                                Tennis Balls: Friday, Nov 2 vs. Princeton
                                Out of conference: Nov 24 (vs. Vermont), Dec 7 & 8 (home/home with UNH), Dec 14 (at BU), Jan 5 (at Bentley)
                                Ledyard: We knew this already, but Army and Providence
                                Senior night: Feb 23 (Brown)

However: Feb 1 game is non-bold face but says it's in Hanover. I believe as said earlier we can safely assume it's at Harvard. Ditto Feb 8: RPI should be bold faced as that game is definitely at home.
                                Looking forward to your visit to Bentley's new rink on January 5th.

Comment

Working...
                                X