Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Off- Season of Progress and Hope

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Looking forward to your visit to Bentley's new rink on January 5th.
    Great to hear to from you again and definitely forward to 'breaking in" your new rink!

Comment

An update on recent grad River Rymsha: he will be playing NCAA hockey this year, but not for Dartmouth. He's playing his grad year at Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
        An update on recent grad River Rymsha: he will be playing NCAA hockey this year, but not for Dartmouth. He's playing his grad year at Miami.
        Congrats to River in his new endeavors! I will be honest with you, I am not a big advocate of kids/players getting that extra year at a new school. However , I do remember that he basically missed an entire season a couple years ago due to injury. He played his best hockey down the stretch last season paired with Demler giving the Big Green some "big and nasty" something they sorely needed on the back end! River was always a third pairing guy and good luck to him!

Comment

Well the Big Green has finally announced their incoming Class of 2022:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...this-fall.aspx

More to follow as me and others break it down!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
            Well the Big Green has finally announced their incoming Class of 2022:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...this-fall.aspx

More to follow as me and others break it down!
            So 5 forwards, 1 defenseman, and goalie comprises the incoming class for the 2018-19 season. And this is on the eve of the Big green having a fantastic season surpassing expectations. So where do they go from here on is the major question: Do they build on and take that major leap, say a trip to Lake Placid or do they stay in the middle of the pack and under-perform, or totally lay an egg and just survive?

It looks like this incoming class has some size and like most they are hard to judge coming from youth and junior hockey. As we know it gets much narrower and thus tougher towards the top. In past posts our guy, Turk181 has spoken up highly about Christian LeSueur, being a talented forward. My guess he must be pretty good given his size and his age of being a 99' when there are others on the Big Green's prospect list that are older. The other recruit that is intriguing is Harrison Markell on D, in that he fits a need just based on being right-handed and has some size. With respect and no disrespect to the others (just don't know), work hard and win a spot in getting quality playing time and experience.

Comment

So 5 forwards, 1 defenseman, and goalie comprises the incoming class for the 2018-19 season. And this is on the eve of the Big green having a fantastic season surpassing expectations. So where do they go from here on is the major question: Do they build on and take that major leap, say a trip to Lake Placid or do they stay in the middle of the pack and under-perform, or totally lay an egg and just survive?
              Depends on 2 things: goaltending and a power play.

Clark (and perhaps Ferguson; the starting job is Clark's to lose, it would appear) has to equal or surpass what Buffalo gave them last year. Clark is capable of doing that--it's just that can he do it consistently with the label of "starter" attached to him.

The power play has to be better. A LOT better, as it's hard to imagine it being worse than 11.3%. Even 2016-17 was way better than that, and the team started off 0-for-50 something and still ended up at 16.3%. But the PP has been an issue for several years--get around 20% would be a giant leap forward, and that hasn't happened in a long time. It would be huge, and it's not like the personnel isn't there--at least one would think.

With the talent they have coming back, repeating last year's finish of 5th should be the minimum expectation. Honestly, going into the season, I think they have to have the mentality that anything short of Lake Placid is a disappointment. Standings wise, if they can be successful in the 2 areas mentioned above they could wind up the top 4. Will be tough: Princeton, Cornell, Union, and perhaps Quinnipiac will probably be looked at as the most likely to finish top 4.
              Last edited by GreenBear; 07-15-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Depends on 2 things: goaltending and a power play.

Clark (and perhaps Ferguson; the starting job is Clark's to lose, it would appear) has to equal or surpass what Buffalo gave them last year. Clark is capable of doing that--it's just that can he do it consistently with the label of "starter" attached to him.

The power play has to be better. A LOT better, as it's hard to imagine it being worse than 11.3%. Even 2016-17 was way better than that, and the team started off 0-for-50 something and still ended up at 16.3%. But the PP has been an issue for several years--get around 20% would be a giant leap forward, and that hasn't happened in a long time. It would be huge, and it's not like the personnel isn't there--at least one would think.

With the talent they have coming back, repeating last year's finish of 5th should be the minimum expectation. Honestly, going into the season, I think they have to have the mentality that anything short of Lake Placid is a disappointment. Standings wise, if they can be successful in the 2 areas mentioned above they could wind up the top 4. Will be tough: Princeton, Cornell, Union, and perhaps Quinnipiac will probably be looked at as the most likely to finish top 4.
                I agree with you assessment GreenBEAR and will get into team expectations, style of play (identity), possible pairings and line combinations, and other hockey related things later!

OHHHH! BTW! I will be very remiss in not bringing up and back Carl Hesler as I can pretty much say he will be the best out of this new group (with much respect) and near the top of the team.

Comment

I know I preached this ad nauseam...99.9% of these boys will continue on life in the workforce and undoubtedly do well. They were "living the dream" and so fortunate to partake in this great sport in college. That said, congrats to Will Graber, Ryan Blankemeir, Cam Strong, and Ryan Less on their academic achievements; this proves the whole STUDENT/athlete scenario. In no way I am pointing out these four but rather in general in the above 99.9%. They are a step ahead of the game of LIFE!

https://dartmouthsports.com/index.aspx?path=mhockey

Comment

Hey turk181!

Hope you are well!

What do you know about this kid Gallant? Also what do you think about the 7 incoming class for this season and your "guy" LeSueur is on it?
                    Thanks again for your insight on the recruits!

Comment

Hey turk181!

Hope you are well!

What do you know about this kid Gallant? Also what do you think about the 7 incoming class for this season and your "guy" LeSueur is on it?
                      Thanks again for your insight on the recruits!
                      Sorry it’s taken so long to reply BG. I’m still waiting on a response for Burbank. I was a bit surprised to see that LeSueur was coming in the Fall but then I saw he’ll be 20 in Jan. Still would have 1 yr remaining in Junior eligibility. Like I said earlier he didn’t look as good when I saw him this year but you can’t go off 1 viewing. The kid can play. This is what I got back in regards to Hesler (from someone connected with Wenatchee)....... Hesler is dynamite in a small package, outstanding two-way player. High energy, great support guy. I’ll miss watching him. As for Gallant, these are some of takes on him from 2 different people who have seen him play......This was an evaluation out of Chicago Steels Camp; 00 Mark Gallant, Colgate commit, really really impressed me and I gave an evaluation of him already. That he "only" put up 41 in 54 in the NCDC has me very intrigued by that league. This kid is big, smooth, is at full speed in 3-4 strides. Helluva pick in the 9th rd of the Phase II. has the look of a kid who will put up 45+ points. .......... This from someone else...... Mark's dad owns the team and is league commissioner, so the late pick makes sense to me if scouts are concerned that he won't play elsewhere. And don't be misled by Mark's numbers - that was a stacked team with a mature line-up, so he took his turn (he even admirably filled in at defense a few times!). Bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the very talented younger players from that team move to the USHL for 2018-19 including Gallant...............As for the other incoming players I’ve never seen them & don’t have anyone I can contact about them.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                        Sorry it’s taken so long to reply BG. I’m still waiting on a response for Burbank. I was a bit surprised to see that LeSueur was coming in the Fall but then I saw he’ll be 20 in Jan. Still would have 1 yr remaining in Junior eligibility. Like I said earlier he didn’t look as good when I saw him this year but you can’t go off 1 viewing. The kid can play. This is what I got back in regards to Hesler (from someone connected with Wenatchee)....... Hesler is dynamite in a small package, outstanding two-way player. High energy, great support guy. I’ll miss watching him. As for Gallant, these are some of takes on him from 2 different people who have seen him play......This was an evaluation out of Chicago Steels Camp; 00 Mark Gallant, Colgate commit, really really impressed me and I gave an evaluation of him already. That he "only" put up 41 in 54 in the NCDC has me very intrigued by that league. This kid is big, smooth, is at full speed in 3-4 strides. Helluva pick in the 9th rd of the Phase II. has the look of a kid who will put up 45+ points. .......... This from someone else...... Mark's dad owns the team and is league commissioner, so the late pick makes sense to me if scouts are concerned that he won't play elsewhere. And don't be misled by Mark's numbers - that was a stacked team with a mature line-up, so he took his turn (he even admirably filled in at defense a few times!). Bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the very talented younger players from that team move to the USHL for 2018-19 including Gallant...............As for the other incoming players I’ve never seen them & don’t have anyone I can contact about them.
                        You Da Man turk181! No worries as you always come through with great insights and info! Wow, great info on the little Hesler (I love how his older brother plays) So do you envision him as a middle 6 guy that can forecheck, dig pucks out, back check like crazy. What do you think about his point potential, making plays? I am excited to hear this info on him and Gallant. GreenBear, thoughts?

Comment

I am excited to hear this info on him and Gallant. GreenBear, thoughts?
                          Gallant is an outstanding get. And Hesler was described exactly as how I've seen and heard him reported on. I have yet to see him in person though.

I really think life may be hard for some of the returning forwards in so far as keeping their spot in the lineup. Cam Strong had that happen to him last year; this year, Strong may show up with something to prove and force his way back in--he sure has the talent. But if I were Strong, Ernsting, Blankmeier, or even a '18 regular like Warpecha, Michalowski, and Jasiek, too--I'd be looking over my shoulder. The team needs more production from those guys--15 goals between all of them and Jasiek only scored on the PP. While many were valuable in other areas (Warpecha on the PK, for example), this was an offensively challenged team that is in desperate need of depth scoring, and if some of the new guys (or old guys in Carl's case) come in and provide it, they'll play over the returnees from last year. I bet the guys coming back know they'll have to compete for spots, and that can only be good for Dartmouth.

Speaking of competition, I will not be surprised if there is competition in goal in the early practices. I expect Clark to be Goalie #1, but I also bet Ferguson isn't coming off a strong year for an NCDC champion thinking he's automatically the backup. That'll be a good thing as well.

I'm intrigued to see what the pre-season polls say about the Big Green.
                          Last edited by GreenBear; 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Gallant is an outstanding get. And Hesler was described exactly as how I've seen and heard him reported on. I have yet to see him in person though.

I really think life may be hard for some of the returning forwards in so far as keeping their spot in the lineup. Cam Strong had that happen to him last year; this year, Strong may show up with something to prove and force his way back in--he sure has the talent. But if I were Strong, Ernsting, Blankmeier, or even a '18 regular like Warpecha, Michalowski, and Jasiek, too--I'd be looking over my shoulder. The team needs more production from those guys--15 goals between all of them and Jasiek only scored on the PP. While many were valuable in other areas (Warpecha on the PK, for example), this was an offensively challenged team that is in desperate need of depth scoring, and if some of the new guys (or old guys in Carl's case) come in and provide it, they'll play over the returnees from last year. I bet the guys coming back know they'll have to compete for spots, and that can only be good for Dartmouth.

Speaking of competition, I will not be surprised if there is competition in goal in the early practices. I expect Clark to be Goalie #1, but I also bet Ferguson isn't coming off a strong year for an NCDC champion thinking he's automatically the backup. That'll be a good thing as well.

I'm intrigued to see what the pre-season polls say about the Big Green.
                            GreenBear, I love your BG enthusiasm which I share as well as it has been a long time coming especially pre-season. I also agree with your take on incumbents fighting for position. This is a great problem to have as "the cream rises to the top" provided done in a healthy way. A lot depends on the coaching staff and their style of play and/or mixing and matching certain strengths on a line. But either way BG needs fire-power and a quick strike mentality (odd number advantages through transition) when the situation arises, to take heat off Goalie and Team D.

It goes without saying that their Goalie, has to be their best player or at the least very consistent in not letting in "bad" goals and making timely saves on tough shots..if this happens the team psyche will reverberate all the way down to coaching staff and players.

Comment

Working...
                            X