NonConference games matter more than conference ones..RPI needs changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NonConference games matter more than conference ones..RPI needs changes

EVERYONE... It is really difficult for me to follow how the reply and threads word on my iPad. So politely excuse me for duplicates. I am a 67 year old BC who has seen a lot of hockey over time. And yes I find it difficult to follow how RPI works at times...but that doesn’t require some of you to be abusive to what you don’t agree with.

I do find it not equitable to finish on top of league twice and get passed over for teams that finished lower in the same league or have another team with a LOSING conference record go instead. THAT IS NOT STUPID OR INCOMPREHENSIBLE TO QUESTION THE SYSTEM.

Thank you for those who politely disagreed and explain why. Lack of civil discourse is what the USA is suffering from.

Comment

If there is one thing this year’s tournament needed it was one more eastern regular season champion to get unceremoniously dumped in the first round.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        If there is one thing this year’s tournament needed it was one more eastern regular season champion to get unceremoniously dumped in the first round.
        as opposed to #2 getting dumped in the first round. Or a 4th place with a losing conference record? BC under Jerry York did not finish as high in the Uscho polls as the prior late Len C. But he knew how to win in the NCAA playoffs. So do not be so sure.
        Last edited by freedomfighter; 04-08-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

You're making it sound like there are a lot of eastern leagues or that every one of their RS champions lost in first round. Cornell is the only team that meets your parameters.

The ECAC stunk and BC was basically on par with BU. Maybe they win a game, maybe not. No "eastern" teams even made the FF so doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
            Act adult. If you don’t agree. You don’t. It’s not simple math. A computer only spits out what u program it to.
            It IS simple math. You just don't like the results.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That was for SJHovey

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Going by your conference record criteria BU should have been selected over BC for the 2008 NCAA Tournament. BC finished 4th, 4 points behind BU, who finished second, and 2 points behind Vermont, who finished third.

Sean
                BC won the HE tournament that year. At least with his Penn State example they didn't win their tournament this year (at least i think he's talking about this year).

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  BC won the HE tournament that year. At least with his Penn State example they didn't win their tournament this year (at least i think he's talking about this year).
                  Yes. That year New Hampshire was #1. BU was #2. Only NH AND BC went to the NCAA from HE. BC won the National Title.

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
                    Act adult. If you don’t agree. You don’t. It’s not simple math. A computer only spits out what u program it to.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    It IS simple math. You just don't like the results.
                    FF, you're right, the computer spits out what it is programmed to: SIMPLE FREAKING MATH.

What I think you're having a tough time wrapping your arms around is the fact that the SIMPLE FREAKING MATH is not about conference play only, it is about how a team plays against all other DI teams. It is far more comprehensive than what you in your myopia what to consider. And that means that, in the long run, it is far more fair. An aircraft carrier could be floated in the river you're crying. Man up for crying out loud.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      FF, you're right, the computer spits out what it is programmed to: SIMPLE FREAKING MATH.

What I think you're having a tough time wrapping your arms around is the fact that the SIMPLE FREAKING MATH is not about conference play only, it is about how a team plays against all other DI teams AND THEIR OPPONENTS. It is far more comprehensive than what you in your myopia what to consider. And that means that, in the long run, it is far more fair. An aircraft carrier could be floated in the river you're crying. Man up for crying out loud.
                      Fixed. You play good teams OOC, and beat them.....just saying.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        Yes. Yes I would. Make it nachos and you've got a deal.
                        Uncle Ray, As usual in your daily drunken stupor, you're trying to get everyone to wrap their arms around this whole "use the simple math" theory of picking teams to go to the NCAA hockey tournament. I have an alternate suggestion first posed years ago by then Senator Bill Bradley. Asked how he thought the next president of the United States should be chosen Bradley replied, "free throws." Now go get me a marg. Bottoms up.
                        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

I currently am selecting which monkeys that will throw their poop at the selection board for next year. Good luck to all the teams.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the success of the entire conference vs OOC opponents carry some weight in the PWR?
                            So, had other Hockey East teams had more success OOC, BC'S wins vs those successful teams would have further helped BC's rating?
                            The strength of their conference aided a team like PSU getting the bid, even though their in conference record was under .500. The lack of conference strength in HE did not help BC at all, and one could argue, if HE teams had had more success OOC, BC perhaps doesn't have the stellar conference record playing against better competition.

Disclaimer: I'm all for simple math and PWR. BC didn't deserve a bid, IMO (I'm a long time BC STH). Given their season record, they would have been deserving if they had won the HE tournament. JMO, and the results of the simple math.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              You're making it sound like there are a lot of eastern leagues or that every one of their RS champions lost in first round. Cornell is the only team that meets your parameters.

The ECAC stunk and BC was basically on par with BU. Maybe they win a game, maybe not. No "eastern" teams even made the FF so doesn't really matter.
                              It was intended as a subtle jab at Cornell.

As for the subject complained about, other than one poster I don't see a lot of BC fans here complaining about not making the tournament. They won the regular season crown, but candidly they were really bad when they weren't playing HE teams.

The way it's set up, if you are a member of the B1G, NCHC, HE or ECAC, if you win the regular season title for your league, and you don't completely crap the bed in your out of conference games, you'll get an at-large bid.

Minnesota didn't get in two years ago after winning the B1G regular season crown, but again they were horrible in the non-conference games.

To get an at-large bid, you should be at least respectable in your play against teams from other leagues, imho.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Some serious sour grapes on this thread. Two things I want to say with absolute certainty as a BC fan:

- BC absolutely did not deserve to make the tournament.
                                - BC absolutely would have been sent home early.

Let me add a third. It IS absolutely stupid and incomprehensible to cite conference standings (a random, arbitrary subset of the entire season upon which you are judged) when discussing who should and should not be in the national tournament. I would assert that one doing so is likely the first in their family to be able to walk upright.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X