Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NonConference games matter more than conference ones..RPI needs changes

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
    But make sure the OOC games are weaker opponents like Northeastern and Providence did. BC must schedule AC
    Northeastern beat BC in an OOC game

Comment

What do you want us to change, aside from winning more games?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I currently am selecting which monkeys that will throw their poop at the selection board for next year. Good luck to all the teams.
        Or, we could invite all 60 coaches to spin the Price Is Right Big Wheel. If you get $1.00 on one or a combination of 2, you go dancing.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

This is literally first time this season I've heard anyone arguing that BC deserved to be in over NU or PC. The vast majority of BC fans rather gave up when they went win less out of conference. I'm almost disappointed.
          BU and BC both knew what they had to do to get into the field and BU did that thing.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Look back carefully. BC was in a 3 way tie for 1st...check the points. #4 and #5 went.
            I understand this, but if you're awarding an auto bid for the RS champion, then there must be a tiebreaker correct? If yes, then BC would not have qualified for that auto bid.

If you're saying any team with a share of a RS title or tournament win should make it, then you are at risk of having more than 16 teams qualify (even if it's highly unlikely).

If your response is to use something like PWR in that circumstance to choose which teams should qualify, then what will you say if that team left out ends up being BC??

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the success of the entire conference vs OOC opponents carry some weight in the PWR?
              So, had other Hockey East teams had more success OOC, BC'S wins vs those successful teams would have further helped BC's rating?
              Yes. That's where the "opponents' winning percentage" and "opponents' opponents' winning percentage" portions of the RPI come into play. The latter criteria - how good the teams were that your scheduled opponents played - is even the majority (54%) component of the RPI.

Hockey East had a very down year OOC; as a whole they were .500, but that included a dismal 0-10-1 against the B1G and 7-14-1 against the NCHC. Other teams in Hockey East doing a bit better out of conference would have helped BC's case, certainly, but considering the 13-16 seeds in the tournament were all autobids, maybe not that much. Honestly, BC just needed to win two more games over the course of the year - pretty much any two losses flipped to wins gets them above 12th in the PWR, out of conference or not. No one single game does it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post

If you're saying any team with a share of a RS title or tournament win should make it, then you are at risk of having more than 16 teams qualify (even if it's highly unlikely).
                have a play in game!!! worked out ok in 1978
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                  Yes. That's where the "opponents' winning percentage" and "opponents' opponents' winning percentage" portions of the RPI come into play. The latter criteria - how good the teams were that your scheduled opponents played - is even the majority (54%) component of the RPI.

Hockey East had a very down year OOC; as a whole they were .500, but that included a dismal 0-10-1 against the B1G and 7-14-1 against the NCHC. Other teams in Hockey East doing a bit better out of conference would have helped BC's case, certainly, but considering the 13-16 seeds in the tournament were all autobids, maybe not that much. Honestly, BC just needed to win two more games over the course of the year - pretty much any two losses flipped to wins gets them above 12th in the PWR, out of conference or not. No one single game does it, though.
                  Thank you tape.
                  Hope this help you understand a little better freedomfighter.
                  PWR may not be perfect but it works well and is not biased.
                  Last edited by FiveHole12; 04-10-2018, 06:18 AM.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

BC finished 3rd in HE last season. They wouldn’t have been “next in line”.
                    They were in a 3 way tie for 1st .. check pts. # 4 and #5 went

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                      Northeastern beat BC in an OOC game
                      Thats Beanpot. Look at other OOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Some serious sour grapes on this thread. Two things I want to say with absolute certainty as a BC fan:

- BC absolutely did not deserve to make the tournament.
                        - BC absolutely would have been sent home early.

Let me add a third. It IS absolutely stupid and incomprehensible to cite conference standings (a random, arbitrary subset of the entire season upon which you are judged) when discussing who should and should not be in the national tournament. I would assert that one doing so is likely the first in their family to be able to walk upright.
                        The subset is most of the season. And in the latter part when teams gain experience.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Thank you tape.
                          Hope this help you understand a little better freedomfighter.
                          PWR may not be perfect but it works well and is not biased.
                          Thanks but helps my point that OOC counts more. But Thanx.

Comment

I understand this, but if you're awarding an auto bid for the RS champion, then there must be a tiebreaker correct? If yes, then BC would not have qualified for that auto bid.

If your response is to use something like PWR in that circumstance to choose which teams should qualify, then what will you say if that team left out ends up being BC??
                            Leader NOT over autobid but over lower conference ranked teams.

Comment

EVERYONE... It is really difficult for me to follow how the reply and threads word on my iPad. So politely excuse me for duplicates. I am a 67 year old BC who has seen a lot of hockey over time. And yes I find it difficult to follow how RPI works at times...but that doesn’t require some of you to be abusive to what you don’t agree with.

I do find it not equitable to finish on top of league twice and get passed over for teams that finished lower in the same league or have another team with a LOSING conference record go instead. THAT IS NOT STUPID OR INCOMPREHENSIBLE TO QUESTION THE SYSTEM.

Thank you for those who politely disagreed and explain why. Lack of civil discourse is what the USA is suffering from.
                              You’re the one who came in here deciding to up end the natural order. However I will bend to your ability to get through traffic to still be with us today.

Now, plain fact, your team went 2-8-3 in non-conf... 2 of those was in the playoffs against Merrimack. Less the two beanpot losses (even though that was Harvard) puts you at 0-6-3.

That well neutralizes your 6 point lead on third place. Also, getting a share of a title in a previous year is nonsense.

Guess what, these things happen in all the other sports that aren’t basketball. It only works that way in basketball because the game better expresses differential in ability. Soccer, baseball, they all have same or similar issues.

And when else are you going to show you’re any good against the rest of the nation. I mean, a late season non conf tilt would be interesting but it isn’t going to happen.

Fact is, they played like crap when it counted. My team sucked all year. It happens. It’s hard to be “equitable” when every year seven teams finishes with a 22-16 record each year. Ok, so it looks weird not to send what one could think of as a standard bearer but you didn’t meet that standard. You did excellent in one and failed the other. Frankly if league play were everything then Atlantic hockey has been getting the raw deal... but we know that’s not true. If they go 30-7 but lose in the semis they just had a nice year and don’t play in the NCAAs.

Frankly, carping about the math when it’s the only way we have to figure things out other than “some guy likes what he saw” is annoying. I’ve been in the “they’ll turn it around tomorrow” thing with my team all season. The last time they missed it was the same problem... got good too late, not enough.

You didn’t prove yourself to be better. Thems the breaks, kid. Sure the optics are a little odd, but that’s on you.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

They were in a 3 way tie for 1st .. check pts. # 4 and #5 went
                                Now you’re just being an *****hole.

Comment

Working...
                                X