Tri-State - 1
    NEIHL -1
    AHA - 0
    MAAC - 0
    CHA - 0
    B1G - 0

Sean
    Tri-State?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Re: The National >>>>> B1G

I don't take much interest in the conference pride thing. The way that UMD withstood Ohio State throwing everything they had at them the last two periods and only giving up the one goal was pretty ****ed impressive and had me rooting for them in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        Tri-State?
        Wasn't there a Triangular league? I used to see that banner at Meehan and it was one of Brown's only titles. Poor Brown.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          Tri-State?
          RPI in 1954. The Tri-State league originally consisted of RPI, Clarkson, SLU, Colgate, Middlebury, and Williams. Williams and Colgate soon dropped out and later Middlebury also dropped out.

Edit: See https://www.augenblick.org/chha/tri_his.html
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-10-2018, 03:35 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            The schools and old leagues both get credit for the previous titles, just like the schools and current leagues get credit for the titles. However, the ECAC only gets credit for the 3 BU titles in the seventies and the NEIHL gets credit for the BC title from 1949. Which, by the way means that the NEIHL has more titles than the B1G has and the same goes for the Tri-State League with one title. Also the WCHA's claim of 37 titles is false, as the league was formed in 1959-60 and of the first seven titles they claim 6 were won by the MCHL/WIHL and one was won by no league (1959).

So, for the record, here are the number of titles won by each league:
            WCHA - 30
            ECAC - 9
            Hockey East - 9
            CCHA - 8
            MCHL/WIHL - 6
            no league - 4
            NCHC - 3
            Tri-State - 1
            NEIHL -1
            AHA - 0
            MAAC - 0
            CHA - 0
            B1G - 0

Sean

There were years where the Big Ten teams played for two conference championships, the wcha, or CCHA and the Big Ten.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              No idea, so I’m posting a pony:
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Wasn't there a Triangular league? I used to see that banner at Meehan and it was one of Brown's only titles. Poor Brown.
                Before the Ivy League was officially established in 1954 Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Princeton formed the Quadrangular Hockey League in 1933-34 which became the Pentagonal Hockey League in 1941-42 with the addition of Army. Army withdrew before the 1947-48 season and the league was again known as the Quadrangular League before Brown finally joined the league, which again became the Pentagonal League, starting with the 1948-49 season. Brown won the Pentagonal League titles in 1949-50 and again in 1950-51. I believe the banner you recall would be for one or both of those titles.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

This again? Been out of town other thread must have been closed what is this like the fifth?
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                    I don't take much interest in the conference pride thing. The way that UMD withstood Ohio State throwing everything they had at them the last two periods and only giving up the one goal was pretty ****ed impressive and had me rooting for them in the final.
                    Thanks for virtue signaling to everyone that you are above it all. You're my hero now.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                      This again? Been out of town other thread must have been closed what is this like the fifth?
                      Like I said. Round and round it goes
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                        Neither do I. I was actually pulling for UMD (although in reality I really didn't care) in both of their games. I of course hate ohio state. I also am not too fond of notre dame.

The conference pride thing is exclusively reserved for the SEC.
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

The schools and old leagues both get credit for the previous titles, just like the schools and current leagues get credit for the titles. However, the ECAC only gets credit for the 3 BU titles in the seventies and the NEIHL gets credit for the BC title from 1949. Which, by the way means that the NEIHL has more titles than the B1G has and the same goes for the Tri-State League with one title. Also the WCHA's claim of 37 titles is false, as the league was formed in 1959-60 and of the first seven titles they claim 6 were won by the MCHL/WIHL and one was won by no league (1959).

So, for the record, here are the number of titles won by each league:
                          WCHA - 30
                          ECAC - 9
                          Hockey East - 9
                          CCHA - 8
                          MCHL/WIHL - 6
                          no league - 4
                          NCHC - 3
                          Tri-State - 1
                          NEIHL -1
                          Ivy - 0
                          AHA - 0
                          MAAC - 0
                          CHA - 0
                          B1G - 0

Sean
                          Statistics can be manipulated. So just because Michigan, sparty, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were in the WCHA when they won several titles the B1G doesn't get credit for those titles? Of course the WCHA will have more titles because they've been around since the dawn of time for college hockey. But if Minnesota fans are going to claim that is correct they must also bow to the superiority of The University of Michigan (we were here before you).
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            Statistics can be manipulated. So just because Michigan, sparty, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were in the WCHA when they won several titles the B1G doesn't get credit for those titles? Of course the WCHA will have more titles because they've been around since the dawn of time for college hockey. But if Minnesota fans are going to claim that is correct they must also bow to the superiority of The University of Michigan (we were here before you).
                            No, the B1G dosen't get credit for those titles since the hockey teams were playing as official members of the WCHA and any B1G title was considered secondary, if at all. And don't forget that Michigan and Michigan State left the WCHA and joined the CCHA, where they both won titles and they played no games or just one game each vs Wisconsin and Minnesota. The same goes for the Ivy League not getting credit when Harvard and Yale won, as the both play in the ECAC and the Ivy League is considered secondary in hockey.

No, the WCHA has not been around since the dawn of time for college hockey and your comment shows your lack of knowledge regarding the history of college hockey. The first college game is generally considered to have been played on 1 Feb 1896 in Baltimore between Yale and Johns Hopkins. That is over 60 years before the WCHA was formed in 1959 and in fact the NCAA tournament was started in 1948, 11 years before the founding of the WCHA and 4 years before the founding of the WCHA's predecessor, the MCHL/WIHL.

On the other hand, the Ivy League has existed officially since 1954 and before that Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Princeton played together in the Quadrangular/Pentagonal Hockey League (with Army for several seasons in the 1940s and then with Brown beginning in 1948) since 1933. While it officially ceased to exist as an independent hockey league with the formation of the ECAC in 1961, it has remained as a secondary league.

Also, the ECAC was formed in 1961, just two years after the formation of the WCHA, and its teams had far less success than the WCHA's teams had when there were only those two leagues. However, the WCHA near monopoly on the NCAA title ended with Bowling Green's win in 1984 and the formation of Hockey East the same year. From 1984-2013, before the last realignment, the WCHA, while still winning the most titles of any league, only won 11, while the ECAC (3), CCHA (8) and Hockey East (8) won a combined 19 titles. Now, with the latest realignment, as has been mentioned the NCHC has won 3 straight, with the ECAC and Hockey East each winning one. I'm sure B1G teams will win the title over the next 20 years, but I think it unlikely any league will dominate again like the WCHA did from 1960-1983.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about Michigan being "here" before Minnesota since Minnesota's first hockey team played in the 1921-22 season and Michigan's first hockey team played the following season, 1922-23 (and which Minnesota was 3-1 vs Michigan). Minnesota and Michigan also both show that Minnesota leads the all-time series vs Michigan. If you're just going with which university was founded first you are correct, but that has nothing to do with hockey.

Sean
                            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-13-2018, 12:31 PM.
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              There were years where the Big Ten teams played for two conference championships, the wcha, or CCHA and the Big Ten.
                              Except that in the context of hockey the "Big Ten" didn't exist. A similar analogy would be when Harvard won the ECAC. Yeah, by default they also won the "Ivy League," except that the Ivy League didn't really exist for hockey. The SCHOOLS that were in it were all members of the ECAC.

(So when Bob Gamere, on the ECAC game of the week on Channel 7, used to say "Harvard comes into the game 2-7 BUT 2-0 in the Ivy League," he was technically wrong).

Comment

The same goes for the Ivy League not getting credit when Harvard and Yale won, as the both play in the ECAC and the Ivy League is considered secondary in hockey.
                                Sorry...didn't see this before I posted...

Comment

Working...
                                X