Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The National >>>>> B1G

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Except that in the context of hockey the "Big Ten" didn't exist. A similar analogy would be when Harvard won the ECAC. Yeah, by default they also won the "Ivy League," except that the Ivy League didn't really exist for hockey. The SCHOOLS that were in it were all members of the ECAC.

(So when Bob Gamere, on the ECAC game of the week on Channel 7, used to say "Harvard comes into the game 2-7 BUT 2-0 in the Ivy League," he was technically wrong).
    it doesn't really matter, but as far as I know, the Big Ten officially awarded a conference championship for those years. did the Ivy league?
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Statistics can be manipulated. So just because Michigan, sparty, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were in the WCHA when they won several titles the B1G doesn't get credit for those titles? Of course the WCHA will have more titles because they've been around since the dawn of time for college hockey. But if Minnesota fans are going to claim that is correct they must also bow to the superiority of The University of Michigan (we were here before you).
      michigan only won those early championships because they were the only school that awarded hockey scholarships. they should have won every single game, and gone undefeated for those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        it doesn't really matter, but as far as I know, the Big Ten officially awarded a conference championship for those years. did the Ivy league?
        Yes, the Ivy League recogonizes the champion as the regular season winner among the six schools. I don't know if they award a trophy (back in the days of the Quadrangular/Pentagonal Hockey League they awarded the Hobey Baker Trophy), but I know Harvard has banners for their men's and women's Ivy League titles hanging in Bright-Landry. I also believe Cornell has banners as well. To my knowledge the men have always based the champion on regular season games only. On the other hand, the women originially did have a postseason tournament with the winner getting one of four ECAC playoff spots.

Sean
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM.
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

michigan only won those early championships because they were the only school that awarded hockey scholarships. they should have won every single game, and gone undefeated for those years.
          They did pretty well with 6 of the first 9 titles (all before the WCHA was formed). Since then not so well.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

it doesn't really matter, but as far as I know, the Big Ten officially awarded a conference championship for those years.
            I believe Minnesota has a few Big Ten banners hanging at Mariucci Arena from those days, or at least used to.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              Yes, the Ivy League recogonizes the champion as the regular season winner among the six schools. I don't know if they award a trophy (back in the days of the Quadrangular/Pentagonal Hockey League they awarded the Hobey Baker Trophy), but I know Harvard has banners for their men's and women's Ivy League titles hanging in Bright-Landry. I also believe Cornell has banners as well. T
              Brown definitely had Pentagonal League banner and Ivy league banners. I should have gone to Yale, Dartmouth, and Princeton when I lived in the east...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                Brown definitely had Pentagonal League banner and Ivy league banners. I should have gone to Yale, Dartmouth, and Princeton when I lived in the east...
                I've been to every Ivy League rink and I just don't recall what banners they had at Brown, Yale, Dartmouth or Princeton. Princeton does have nice areas in the rink dedicated to Hobey Baker and Patty Kazmaier and I believe they had banners just above and behind the press balcony at one end, but I don;t recall for what.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

You're pathetic.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    I'm not sure what you are referring to about Michigan being "here" before Minnesota since Minnesota's first hockey team played in the 1921-22 season and Michigan's first hockey team played the following season, 1922-23 (and which Minnesota was 3-1 vs Michigan). Minnesota and Michigan also both show that Minnesota leads the all-time series vs Michigan. If you're just going with which university was founded first you are correct, but that has nothing to do with hockey.
                    Oh please, Michigan was founded in 1817, minny was established in 1851. We were here before them. The University is far more important than a team. And I say this as everyone here is a college hockey fan. But if you're going to stand by that point why does Michigan have more National Championships than minny?
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Oh please, Michigan was founded in 1817, minny was established in 1851. We were here before them. The University is far more important than a team. And I say this as everyone here is a college hockey fan. But if you're going to stand by that point why does Michigan have more National Championships than minny?
                      Jeezuz, no one cares Sensitive Sally.

Comment

You're pathetic.
                        And absolutely correct. The best way to be.

Comment

Here is your answer.

Comment

Here is your answer.

You're rationalizing Happy. Go away.

Comment

You're pathetic.
                              The truth hurts.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                The truth hurts.
                                And you didn't even make the tournament this year, and you hosted the Frozen Four. We also swept your pathetic butts out of your own rink....

Comment

Working...
                                X