Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 14 Die When Truck Collides With Hockey Team's Bus in Canada

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    One of my favorite television shows is "Air Disasters" which is now in its 10th season on the Smithsonian Channel. While the reenactment of each crash can be tough to watch, the main focus of the show is the investigation that follows as to what caused the disaster, or near disaster as the case may be. Most importantly, most such investigations have led to significant improvements in air safety, making air travel on the whole a much safer experience than it used to be.
    That show is one of my favorite guilty pleasure tv shows. Although, what you see on the Smithsonian Channel is really just a repackaged version of the Canadian Discovery Channel's "Mayday," and the US really gets the leftovers. If you search online, you can find more and newer episodes of the international/original series (including one made last year focusing on the 1993 crash of a Northwest flight from MSP to Hibbing).

Comment

I haven't looked to see where the accident happened, but the roads I am familiar with in Canada are unlike the roads in the US, for one there aren't roadside rest areas and gas stations with rest facilities like the US. Often no shoulder, the road goes from asphalt to bog or whatever happens to be next to the road. Truckers drive like maniacs because it is slow going on Canada's highways with the ridiculously low speed limits that almost nobody obeys. Truckers view themselves as owning the road, especially logging trucks, get in the way they would just as soon run you over. They'll do it even if you don't get in the way. Now add in how often people drive lubed up .... I'm surprised there aren't more of these accidents.

Comment

You really, REALLY don't know what you're talking about. Oh, and your forgot, all Canadians live in igloos too!

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        I haven't looked to see where the accident happened, but the roads I am familiar with in Canada are unlike the roads in the US, for one there aren't roadside rest areas and gas stations with rest facilities like the US. Often no shoulder, the road goes from asphalt to bog or whatever happens to be next to the road. Truckers drive like maniacs because it is slow going on Canada's highways with the ridiculously low speed limits that almost nobody obeys. Truckers view themselves as owning the road, especially logging trucks, get in the way they would just as soon run you over. They'll do it even if you don't get in the way. Now add in how often people drive lubed up .... I'm surprised there aren't more of these accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
          Oh, and your forgot, most Canadians live in the US too!
          I fixed it for you

Comment

You make no sense.

I fixed it for you

Comment

I haven't looked to see where the accident happened, but the roads I am familiar with in Canada are unlike the roads in the US, for one there aren't roadside rest areas and gas stations with rest facilities like the US. Often no shoulder, the road goes from asphalt to bog or whatever happens to be next to the road. Truckers drive like maniacs .
              This is an accurate description of rural roads in Northern Canada for sure. Grew up on them, now live in Urban US. It’s different. Absolutely heartbreaking accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                This is an accurate description of rural roads in Northern Canada for sure. Grew up on them, now live in Urban US. It’s different. Absolutely heartbreaking accident.
                Yep. I've spent over 50 years hunting and fishing in northern Minnesota and in Canada. You always gotta be wary of those truckers and loggers in both countries. Never had an accident though, other than the time a deer ran into my car when I was stopped and when a moose crossed in front of me on Highway 1 and defecated on the hood of my Bronco.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-10-2018, 01:14 PM. Reason: Bullwinkle!!!
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                  That show is one of my favorite guilty pleasure tv shows. Although, what you see on the Smithsonian Channel is really just a repackaged version of the Canadian Discovery Channel's "Mayday," and the US really gets the leftovers. If you search online, you can find more and newer episodes of the international/original series (including one made last year focusing on the 1993 crash of a Northwest flight from MSP to Hibbing).
                  When I first heard of this horrendous accident the other day I immediately thought of the two plane crashes in 1970 with the Wichita State and Marshall football teams, probably because they happened so close together.

A couple "guilty pleasure" books you might find interesting are Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Pier Pauls Read about the plane crash that killed among others 11 players from a Uruguayan rugby team and the gruesome aftermath of those that survived. Also, Freefall, by William Hoffer which is "a detailed accounting of an Air Canada flight which in 1983 ran out of fuel at 41,000 feet over Middle of Nowhere, Manitoba." The plane basically became a glider at that point.
                  Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM. Reason: We drove, not flew, to Florida last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                    the 1993 crash of a Northwest flight from MSP to Hibbing).
                    There are memorials at both the site of the 1993 plane crash near Hibbing and of course, at the 2002 Wellstone plane crash site which is about a mile or so from where I used to live on Ely Lake. The Wellstone memorial site is very nicely done with individual memorials for each person that died in the crash, except for the two pilots. We thought that was wrong. The pilots also lost their lives in the crash. Although I don't know for sure why they were not included it may have been because of rumored issues I have heard regarding the pilots.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-10-2018, 03:04 PM. Reason: No comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      I'm not sure what the point of giving it thought would be. If half of a team dies like this, there isn't much planning that would be useful. They're going to forfeit a lot of games (though I suspect that they would just be stricken from the schedule rather than officially forfeit) until they are able to assemble a new roster.
                      All professional sports leagues have a well thought out plan in place in case of a tragedy like this, especially a plane crash. There's way too much money involved not to have one.

Years ago, when a soccer team was wiped out, there was an article in the NY Times explaining what each North American league's plan is in such a situation.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        A couple "guilty pleasure" books you might find interesting are Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Pier Pauls Read about the plane crash that killed among others 11 players from a Uruguayan soccer team and the gruesome aftermath of those that survived.
                        It was a rugby team.

That is a very good book. But be warned, a very difficult one to read. Especially the detailed description of the plane crash and the immediate consequences to the passengers. It is very detailed.
                        Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          It was a rugby team.

That is a very good book. But be warned, a very difficult one to read. Especially the detailed description of the plane crash and the immediate consequences to the passengers. It is very detailed.
                          Read the book and saw the movie. One that sticks with you for a long time much like this Canadian tragedy will.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            It was a rugby team.

That is a very good book. But be warned, a very difficult one to read.
                            Yes, of course it was a rugby team. Thank you, I corrected my post.

Would it be morbid of me if I mentioned that if you liked the PBS American Experience program on the Donner Party you'll love this book?
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-10-2018, 04:43 PM. Reason: Probably both morbid and wrong to mention.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                              Yes, of course it was a rugby team. Thank you, I corrected my post.

Would it be morbid of me if I mentioned that if you liked the PBS American Experience program on the Donner Party you'll love this book?
                              "Alive".

Tremendous book. Overwhwelmingly absorbing. Read it in 1975 and still have it. Had a very lasting affect on me.

Saw the movie as Puckdrop also did. No comparison to the book, in my opinion.

With respect to the Gimli Glider, the problem was in a conversion from Imperial measurement to Metric measurement (as the result of a malfunctioning fuel guage as I recall) that Canada was going through in the early '80's. Luckily, (to understate it), the pilot had had extensive glider experience and chose (he had no other choice) to land at the abandoned airfireld in Gimli (an hour north of Winnipeg) because it was the only reachable option. But the runway and field was being used that Sunday afternoon (as I believe it was) for a gathering of friends and families for some car racing...lots of people including kids...like a picnic/camping/recreational event all wrapped into one.

As the plane was approaching no one knew that it was going to land...how could they?...why would they think that?...it was an abandoned airfield. Once they realized that their assumptions were wrong panic set it in and people scattered for their lives. As I recall there were two kids on the runway as the plane was touching down. No one was hurt. Pilot was a hero. There are no coincidences.

The incident was featured on an episode of MayDay in Canada years ago. Spellbinding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwMqDnBCBwc

Detailed explanation...
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVifFDoAG8

Here's a version with the ugliness of politics thrown in afterwards, finger pointing and all...
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffryZAd4Nw

And regarding the Donner Party...saw a 2 or 3 hour documentary on it decades ago...absolutely riveting. Both it and Alive laid bare the human condition stripped clean of props, societal expectations and a lot of the BS of everyday life. Should be required reading/viewing for PCer's and those concerned about imagined micro aggression for a good dose of reality.
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-10-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

This tragedy has had a serious effect across the country, as one would expect, but as the second article indicates, across the planet as well...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...icks-1.4612892

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...gest-1.4612322

Comment

Working...
                                X