Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

Looking at a picture of the crash site https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/w...bus-crash.html it is surprising that anyone survived.

Kings affiliate

10 players
    2 coaches
    Radio PBP
    Bus Driver
    Volunteer Statistician

RIP to you all

Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    10 players
    2 coaches
    Radio PBP
    Bus Driver
    Volunteer Statistician

RIP to you all

Capt

The gofundme has eclipsed 3 million, currently around 3.2M.

While I'm sure it isn't entirely hockey community donations, I've gotta believe the majority are. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm always impressed with how the hockey community rallies around their own when times get tough, no matter where or who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    The gofundme has eclipsed 3 million, currently around 3.2M.

While I'm sure it isn't entirely hockey community donations, I've gotta believe the majority are. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm always impressed with how the hockey community rallies around their own when times get tough, no matter where or who it is.
    Hockey, especially non-NHL hockey, is really a close-knit group. There's a reason that there are friends in most any city when we travel. Niche sport with die-hard fans.

I may be crucified for this, but I feel it needs to be said. I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I may be crucified for this, but I feel it needs to be said. I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    I agree with you. When I was young, my mother was driving and didn't see a little boy rolling down his steep driveway on his bicycle. She hit him and he had a head injury...he lived, but she never really got over that guilt.

We're not perfect. Another reason why we should live every day to its fullest and be thankful for what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    We're not perfect. Another reason why we should live every day to its fullest and be thankful for what we have.
    +1 ✔

A hockey team was in the restaurant today & a stranger paid their entire over $300 bill in honour of the Humboldt Broncos. The team is now donating the money they planned on spending to the players & families affected. There is still so much good in the world

Made in the USA

Over 5.5 mil now.

Good of the NHL to take the time to honor those who perished during a number of their games. It was quite touching to also see the picture of the Blackhawks and Jets next to opposite team members around centre ice to show their solidarity. Shows how much the roots really matter to all of these players even at the professional level, and how despite our differences in brand loyalty, we all still show our love for hockey itself.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Over 5.5 mil now.

Good of the NHL to take the time to honor those who perished during a number of their games. It was quite touching to also see the picture of the Blackhawks and Jets next to opposite team members around centre ice to show their solidarity. Shows how much the roots really matter to all of these players even at the professional level, and how despite our differences in brand loyalty, we all still show our love for hockey itself.
    Incredible
    https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    ...I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    With all due respect, I'd advise holding back on assuming blame until the accident investigation report comes out. Initial reports from disaster scenes are historically inaccurate and this is probably no different. Yes, I've read the early stories stating that the truck hit the bus but, looking at the accident scene photos, the truck cab is largely intact and the truck driver is apparently uninjured. If the truck truly hit the bus, the truck cab would have been squashed and the truck driver a likely fatality. Instead, it is the front of the bus that is squashed and the bus driver is among the fatalities.

There's more to this than meets the eye. The cause and any applicable charges will become known in due course. In the meantime, you're right about the driver having to bear the pain of this for the rest of his life, regardless of liability or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Split-N; 04-09-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

From what I've seen, the truck likely pulled out in front of the bus. That explains the cab being intact, the truck and its contents on its side, and the significant damage to the bus.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    From what I've seen, the truck likely pulled out in front of the bus. That explains the cab being intact, the truck and its contents on its side, and the significant damage to the bus.
    That is what I read in numerous places. The truck driver had a stop sign which also had blinking lights and was hit by the bus which had the right of way. The truck driver might have been blinded by the sun.

This is so awful. Here is another idea the league is coming out with to raise money. If I see more details I will forward along. A great way for the college hockey community to support our junior hockey leagues...

https://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/sho...rrer_id=618093

Thread Information