Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

  1. #21
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Looking at a picture of the crash site https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/w...bus-crash.html it is surprising that anyone survived.

  2. #22
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  3. #23
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,261

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    10 players
    2 coaches
    Radio PBP
    Bus Driver
    Volunteer Statistician

    RIP to you all

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,399

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    10 players
    2 coaches
    Radio PBP
    Bus Driver
    Volunteer Statistician

    RIP to you all


  5. #25
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,428

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    The gofundme has eclipsed 3 million, currently around 3.2M.

    While I'm sure it isn't entirely hockey community donations, I've gotta believe the majority are. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm always impressed with how the hockey community rallies around their own when times get tough, no matter where or who it is.

  6. #26
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,456

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    The gofundme has eclipsed 3 million, currently around 3.2M.

    While I'm sure it isn't entirely hockey community donations, I've gotta believe the majority are. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm always impressed with how the hockey community rallies around their own when times get tough, no matter where or who it is.
    Hockey, especially non-NHL hockey, is really a close-knit group. There's a reason that there are friends in most any city when we travel. Niche sport with die-hard fans.

    I may be crucified for this, but I feel it needs to be said. I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #27
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  8. #28
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  9. #29
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,677

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I may be crucified for this, but I feel it needs to be said. I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    I agree with you. When I was young, my mother was driving and didn't see a little boy rolling down his steep driveway on his bicycle. She hit him and he had a head injury...he lived, but she never really got over that guilt.

    We're not perfect. Another reason why we should live every day to its fullest and be thankful for what we have.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    We're not perfect. Another reason why we should live every day to its fullest and be thankful for what we have.
    +1 ✔

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,475

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    A hockey team was in the restaurant today & a stranger paid their entire over $300 bill in honour of the Humboldt Broncos. The team is now donating the money they planned on spending to the players & families affected. There is still so much good in the world

  13. #33
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  14. #34
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,148

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Over 5.5 mil now.

    Good of the NHL to take the time to honor those who perished during a number of their games. It was quite touching to also see the picture of the Blackhawks and Jets next to opposite team members around centre ice to show their solidarity. Shows how much the roots really matter to all of these players even at the professional level, and how despite our differences in brand loyalty, we all still show our love for hockey itself.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Over 5.5 mil now.

    Good of the NHL to take the time to honor those who perished during a number of their games. It was quite touching to also see the picture of the Blackhawks and Jets next to opposite team members around centre ice to show their solidarity. Shows how much the roots really matter to all of these players even at the professional level, and how despite our differences in brand loyalty, we all still show our love for hockey itself.
    Incredible
    https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

  16. #36
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos


  17. #37
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    ...I feel for that truck driver, having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. That weight on his shoulders....yes it's his fault from the reports, and he should feel guilt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have major sorrow.....
    With all due respect, I'd advise holding back on assuming blame until the accident investigation report comes out. Initial reports from disaster scenes are historically inaccurate and this is probably no different. Yes, I've read the early stories stating that the truck hit the bus but, looking at the accident scene photos, the truck cab is largely intact and the truck driver is apparently uninjured. If the truck truly hit the bus, the truck cab would have been squashed and the truck driver a likely fatality. Instead, it is the front of the bus that is squashed and the bus driver is among the fatalities.

    There's more to this than meets the eye. The cause and any applicable charges will become known in due course. In the meantime, you're right about the driver having to bear the pain of this for the rest of his life, regardless of liability or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Split-N; 04-09-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  18. #38
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    10,945

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    From what I've seen, the truck likely pulled out in front of the bus. That explains the cab being intact, the truck and its contents on its side, and the significant damage to the bus.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  19. #39
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,511

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    From what I've seen, the truck likely pulled out in front of the bus. That explains the cab being intact, the truck and its contents on its side, and the significant damage to the bus.
    That is what I read in numerous places. The truck driver had a stop sign which also had blinking lights and was hit by the bus which had the right of way. The truck driver might have been blinded by the sun.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,619

    Re: Tragedy for the Humboldt Broncos

    This is so awful. Here is another idea the league is coming out with to raise money. If I see more details I will forward along. A great way for the college hockey community to support our junior hockey leagues...

    https://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/sho...rrer_id=618093

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •