Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 329

Thread: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? Ugh.

    GFM
    We try not to think of the NCHC and the ufgafarking of college hockey

  2. #122
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,973

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    With AQ, I believe there is some clause that if a certain number of teams had been playing at the D-I level before forming a new conference, they get the AQ right away. The CHA and MAAC/AH had to wait since most of the teams were new to the D-I ranks.

    Hence the Big10 and NCHC getting bids right of the bat.

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,390
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Yes, but that's a new conference, and new conferences have typically had to wait their turn before getting the AQ. The CHA didn't have an AQ until 2004, after five years of operations. (I think that some of the wait there was because of the whole Findlay debacle and MAAC schools dropping the Oilers from their schedules at the last minute.)

    GFM
    There was actually a proposal floated by several AHA/CCHA/WCHA coaches after the Big Ten and NCHC formed. It was for 3 seven team conferences and looked like this, or pretty close:

    1) Mankato, Bemidji, Tech, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, Anchorage
    2) Niagara, Canisius, RIT, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Bowling Green, Fairbanks
    3) Air Force, Army, Holy Cross, Bentley, AIC, Sacred Heart, Huntsville

    You would play each team in your conference four games and 2 each against a team from each of the other conferences.

    Apparently it made too much sense.
    Last edited by davyd83; 06-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,903

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    A 52 game regular season? Ballsy.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,390
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    A 52 game regular season? Ballsy.
    You play each team in your conference four games for a total of 24. 2 games each with one team from each of the other 2 conferences for a total of 28.
    Last edited by davyd83; 06-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    You play each team in your conference four games for a total of 24. 2 games each with one team from each of the other 2 conferences for a total of 28.
    A team v all teams. And, I assume Anchorage v Fairbanks each and every year??

  7. #127
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,892

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    With AQ, I believe there is some clause that if a certain number of teams had been playing at the D-I level before forming a new conference, they get the AQ right away. The CHA and MAAC/AH had to wait since most of the teams were new to the D-I ranks.

    Hence the Big10 and NCHC getting bids right of the bat.
    Thanks, Millsy. That's it.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    With AQ, I believe there is some clause that if a certain number of teams had been playing at the D-I level before forming a new conference, they get the AQ right away. The CHA and MAAC/AH had to wait since most of the teams were new to the D-I ranks.

    Hence the Big10 and NCHC getting bids right of the bat.
    Isn't it 6 teams that have played against each other for 2 years, or something a little more specific? SCSU was originally invited to join so the league would qualify for an AQ.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,235
    Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    Isn't it 6 teams that have played against each other for 2 years, or something a little more specific? SCSU was originally invited to join so the league would qualify for an AQ.
    As a multisport conference with 6 conference teams, the B1G was getting the AQ no matter what.

    The NCHC was different as it is a single sport conference. Normally that's a 2 year wait for the AQ, but the NCAA does make exceptions

  10. #130
    Really??!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great white north
    Posts
    1,888

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games. True NC games not where you play a team from the conference.

    Question then is, how to make a reasonable schedule and can everyone get more NC games?

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    19

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games. True NC games not where you play a team from the conference.

    Question then is, how to make a reasonable schedule and can everyone get more NC games?
    reduce the number of conference games...

    "NCAA teams are allowed to play 34 games during the regular season, not including conference postseason tournaments and the NCAA tournament. Conferences may impose further restrictions. Some in-season tournaments, special games and games played in Alaska are exempted from the 34-game limit."

    if you play a series with each team in the conference, you play 18 games and are left eight series or 16 games. and if you play two series with each team you are over at 36.

    with the two-region idea suggested you would play a total of 26 games (eight series with your side and five series with the other). the WCHA last year played 28 conference games - i would gladly take two extra games.

    in the case of tech, i would love them to play UMD, SCSU, UMn, and UW every year. not to mention a weekend tournament or two.

  12. #132
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    in the case of tech, i would love them to play UMD, SCSU, UMn, and UW every year. not to mention a weekend tournament or two.
    That would be nice except that MN & SCSU have no interest in playing Tech. WI has no interest in going to Houghton. (They think Green Bay is far enough - Four games in Madison and two in GB is a "fair" exchange of games.) UMD is the only one on that list with a remote interest in going to Houghton.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  13. #133
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Seems the issue comes down to wanting or needing more NC games.
    Honestly, all the WCHA needs to do is get each team in the conference to win two more of the existing number of conference games they already play. Having a 0.700 NC record is a world better than sub 0.500. If the conference was winning almost 75% of their non-conference games, no one would worry about HOW MANY the teams were playing out of conference.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    19

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Honestly, all the WCHA needs to do is get each team in the conference to win two more of the existing number of conference games they already play. Having a 0.700 NC record is a world better than sub 0.500. If the conference was winning almost 75% of their non-conference games, no one would worry about HOW MANY the teams were playing out of conference.
    Ryan
    you are correct. BUT the conference is not winning the games they play; and since hockey can go either way sometimes, yes a lucky bounce, playing more games would probably be in our favor. i doubt our record can get any worse.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    That would be nice except that MN & SCSU have no interest in playing Tech. WI has no interest in going to Houghton. (They think Green Bay is far enough - Four games in Madison and two in GB is a "fair" exchange of games.) UMD is the only one on that list with a remote interest in going to Houghton.
    Ryan
    In fairness to the Gophers, they do have 4 in-state non-conference teams that they make every effort to schedule, including road games. They are also once again playing traditional rival NoDak, and usually host their own tournament. There aren't a lot of openings on their dance card. As for Wisconsin? Yeah, that's just because Wisconsin is a bunch of jerks.

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone via New Hampshire via Michigan via Minnesota
    Posts
    118

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    In fairness to the Gophers, they do have 4 in-state non-conference teams that they make every effort to schedule, including road games. They are also once again playing traditional rival NoDak, and usually host their own tournament. There aren't a lot of openings on their dance card. As for Wisconsin? Yeah, that's just because Wisconsin is a bunch of jerks.
    I partly don't blame WisconSIN for not wanting to leave their rink as they do have 10,000+ capacity and put a good number of butts in seats. That said, WisconSIN shouldn't go all the way to Houghton or Marquette to return the favors.

    Tech should be able to make the argument for a home and home as we draw a good crowd. I think the real reason they don't want to play in Houghton is they know Tech realistically can beat them, especially during the school year when the Mac is rocking.

    This is hockey, most schools are in remote locations. They made your life easier by "making" "remote" conferences (WCHA, ECAC, and AH), the least they (bigger programs) can do is make one trip to their rink a season.

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post

    This is hockey, most schools are in remote locations. They made your life easier by "making" "remote" conferences (WCHA, ECAC, and AH), the least they (bigger programs) can do is make one trip to their rink a season.
    Meh. I think whatever debt they owed us is paid. I guess I'm not all that wound up about this issue because as I noted, the Gophers have been pretty fair to us on this, SCSU and UMD have both been to Mankato more than once since they left the WCHA, and there isn't any other team that would draw more than Generic Opponent A (Well, NoDak, but they bring their own crowd, I don't know that they bring out any more locals.). For all the talk in this thread about "prestige" and "traditional hockey power" or other such terms, there's no reason to believe Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, CC, etc. would draw any more people to Mankato than Brown, Western Michigan, or any AH team.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    909
    Lol at the last one, now that would be a long "road" trip.

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone via New Hampshire via Michigan via Minnesota
    Posts
    118

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Meh. I think whatever debt they owed us is paid. I guess I'm not all that wound up about this issue because as I noted, the Gophers have been pretty fair to us on this, SCSU and UMD have both been to Mankato more than once since they left the WCHA, and there isn't any other team that would draw more than Generic Opponent A (Well, NoDak, but they bring their own crowd, I don't know that they bring out any more locals.). For all the talk in this thread about "prestige" and "traditional hockey power" or other such terms, there's no reason to believe Denver, Wisconsin, Michigan, CC, etc. would draw any more people to Mankato than Brown, Western Michigan, or any AH team.
    SMH. That is because Mankato is an easy 4+ lane highway drive between those in-state/former WCHA schools. Try getting a home and home out of WisconSIN. As stated before they will go to Green Bay, and no farther.

    If Mankato wasn't in a league with Tech, would your team travel to Tech, LSSU, or NMU for a NC home and home series?

    IMO, UMD has been fair with Tech for NC games.

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    19

    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    SMH. That is because Mankato is an easy 4+ lane highway drive between those in-state/former WCHA schools. Try getting a home and home out of WisconSIN. As stated before they will go to Green Bay, and no farther.

    If Mankato wasn't in a league with Tech, would your team travel to Tech, LSSU, or NMU for a NC home and home series?

    IMO, UMD has been fair with Tech for NC games.
    "If Mankato wasn't in a league with Tech, would your team travel to..."

    i think it has been made very obvious that MNSU does NOT want to be in a league with "...Tech, LSSU, or NMU."

    which i guess is understandable with with many other quality schools at a much shorter drive-time.
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 06-05-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. The Troll mtu86,
  2. NMUFAN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •