Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

FloHockey produced the Las Vegas tournament for those of you that watched that last year between MTU, NMU, ASU and BC. Seemed like pretty good quality from what I remember?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      FloHockey produced the Las Vegas tournament for those of you that watched that last year between MTU, NMU, ASU and BC. Seemed like pretty good quality from what I remember?
      The big question is whether they continue the use of radio calls along with in-house video, or if they're planning on creating any standalone shows like they do across the rest of their platform.

As far the Vegas tournament? Their equipment was janky, and they brought in the high level talent of the internet broadcast voice of Kentucky Wildcats club hockey as their on-air voice.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        The big question is whether they continue the use of radio calls along with in-house video, or if they're planning on creating any standalone shows like they do across the rest of their platform.

As far the Vegas tournament? Their equipment was janky, and they brought in the high level talent of the internet broadcast voice of Kentucky Wildcats club hockey as their on-air voice.
        Here is what I expect. Maybe i'm just a curmudgeon though. Higher prices, a very little additional content, No improvement in quality. Marginally more money for the league.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Here is what I expect. Maybe i'm just a curmudgeon though. Higher prices, a very little additional content, No improvement in quality. Marginally more money for the league.
          If I'm reading their FAQ correctly, we're losing the ability to watch multiple games at once which is a huge knock for some people. When I used to have watch parties (didn't happen at all last season) we'd have 3 different WCHA games on 3 different TVs based on who attended, can't do that without 3 accounts now. Price will go up, especially for those that were doing a team-specific subscription, that is now gone. It is all monthly/annual for FloHockey ($30/mo or $150/yr). I certainly hope its more reliable than Stretch but I feel like we're losing too much of the good part of stretch to go to this. ESPN+ and less money to the WCHA would have been better.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well, the league has to maximize its revenue at some point. I'm just glad to see this in early June (i.e., they had a plan and worked it during the season) than not even announcing anything until September 6 like last year. (I know, you don't have to do as much up-front work with the incumbent, but when the incumbent is the much-maligned Stretch...)

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Looks like FloSports supports Apple TV and Roku. Stretch supported Apple TV and Amazon Fire. Of course I went the cheap route with the Fire. The price of progress.....

Comment

ASU to have an arena ready for the beginning of the 2020/21 season - basically two years away.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...argets-Nov.php

would a what-conference-to-be-in decision happen as early as next summer?

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                  ASU to have an arena ready for the beginning of the 2020/21 season - basically two years away.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...argets-Nov.php

would a what-conference-to-be-in decision happen as early as next summer?

GO TECH GOLD!
                  Yeah, I expect that the behind-the-scenes conversations will have a greater focus, with an announcement no later than post-AHCA 2019.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by ASU Staff
                    "We are keeping it completely open because as the stature of our program and the commitment we've made becomes very clear to folks in the hockey world, we've got a lot of folks advocating for us, even coveting us to be members of their conference," ASU athletic director Ray Anderson told the Republic. "Right now, we're a free agent and we like it that way because we're building up pretty good leverage."

But Athletics Director Anderson later admits he views the hockey program "...from naive eyes as a non-hockey guy."
                    So in other words, he doesn't know much about hockey, but he knows they're doing a great job. Brilliant! Might explain how Powers still has a job coaching ASU.

I hope they have plans in place for larger than average doors in their new rink because their heads are growing at an NCHC-like pace. ASU will fit nicely into the ego-driven NCHC. I don't think anyone, including the WCHA, covets a team without a rink. However, it would be fun to see them play the "big-school" card and throw their weight around with DU and UND. That circus would be worth the price of admission to see.

I'm sure UAH can confirm this is just how they felt when they didn't have a conference. They were just sitting around "being coveted" and "building up their leverage"...

Ryan
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

however comparing a $665M endowment versus a $75.1M one, may possibly play out as pretty decent bait for a conference. ...just maybe.

for reference, tech is at $96.2M and harvard at $36,000M (no, no typo).

but then maybe this tells absolutely nothing.
                      Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        I'm sure UAH can confirm this is just how they felt when they didn't have a conference. They were just sitting around "being coveted" and "building up their leverage"...

Ryan
                        EXACTLY THAT. It was exactly that.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          EXACTLY THAT. It was exactly that.

GFM
                          After the post game scuffle, I lost all respect for that POS program. I don't recall if anyone in the WCHA has them this year.
                          Last edited by Huskiefan906; 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                            After the post game scuffle, I lost all respect for that POS program. I don't recall if anyone in the WCHA has them this year.
                            Fairbanks at home to open the season and a road trip to Huntsville.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Fairbanks at home to open the season and a road trip to Huntsville.
                              And possibly a game with Minnesota State depending on how the Desert Hockey Classic plays out.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

i was at that game... with my kids.

it all happened kinda fast and i didn't have the best view (was sitting towards the southwest corner of the barn).

not sure if joe didn't have just as much of a part on the shindig.

but i suppose that does not change how i feel about their coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X