Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Why would UMD even consider anything like that? They just won the National Championship, their 2nd in the last like 8 years, and they did it while in the toughest conference in the country, but yet would be ok giving up the situation that just paved the way for them to their 2nd championship?
    Oh I agree they're not leaving but, let me play devils advocate for a second.
    in the NCho they have 1 team under 4.5 hours drive. St clod. in the WCHA they would have three teams under 4.5 hours. And if Mankato stayed in they would have another one about that same amount.
    In the Nacho they have UND and St clod as the only teams semi close. Omaha is 8 hours at least and everything else is a real long way including a flight. So if a flight is a flight then the only issue is the Alaska schools vs all those trips to SW Michigan and Ohio. Now ad in ASU. ...
    I'm just saying teams that are close to each other ought to be talking. And leagues ought to make sure that teams that are close play 4 times.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      It’s rare for a team to play more than 36 regular season games, and even if they did, it would be very difficult for WCHA teams to even get half those games on their home ice.
      And with the WCHA playoff set up as they are now, all teams lost one of their bye weeks due to the season ending a week sooner.

I really doubt, even with the 19th skater, that any team will play more than 36 games in a season. Those bye weeks are just too important, mentally and physically, to the teams.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Oh I agree they're not leaving but, let me play devils advocate for a second.
        in the NCho they have 1 team under 4.5 hours drive. St clod. in the WCHA they would have three teams under 4.5 hours. And if Mankato stayed in they would have another one about that same amount.
        In the Nacho they have UND and St clod as the only teams semi close. Omaha is 8 hours at least and everything else is a real long way including a flight. So if a flight is a flight then the only issue is the Alaska schools vs all those trips to SW Michigan and Ohio. Now ad in ASU. ...
        I'm just saying teams that are close to each other ought to be talking. And leagues ought to make sure that teams that are close play 4 times.
        They're not leaving the NCHC as long as St. Cloud is there. And as long as they were in the WCHA, their rivalry with NoDak is not something they're giving up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I'm just stating facts. Every time the fact is stated 2 or 3 of you come in here and tell whoever said it they're wrong and to shut up...but continue on.
          You’d react the same way if you constantly had people wishing your team would cease to exist. But hey, who doesn’t love a long bus ride to Houghton?
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            But hey, who doesn’t love a long bus ride to Houghton?
            Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota, Nebraska Omaha, and Minnesota Duluth for starters.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Here it is: https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/06/2...ule-exemption/

Writ short:
              1. Find geographic midpoint of all schools.
              2. If your school is more than 1,000 miles from that midpoint, any home games you have are exempt from the visitors' schedule maximum. (UAH and AFA join UAA and UAF)
              3. If at least half of your conference members are 500 miles from the midpoint, each of those teams can provide an exemption to one visiting school per season. (AHC and WCHA get this.)

I don't know if you can get that through the NCAAs, but it's an interesting concept. That would allow you to push the far-flung schools into the smaller conferences or have a bigger conference pick up a distant school to help them hit that second milestone. I don't think that adding ASU does that for the NCHC; it moves the midpoint to Pilger, NE, which probably isn't far enough from MU/WMU/UMD to make a difference; add two southwestern teams, though, and things might change.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                I did a midpoint with an average radius size (half the distance for the average?) way back...

The geographic midpoint is some village in southeast Manitoba.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  I did a midpoint with an average radius size (half the distance for the average?) way back...

The geographic midpoint is some village in southeast Manitoba.
                  I remember you doing that — it was a starting point in my thinking for this. . That's pretty much what the tool that I used did, and that's the result that I got. Admittedly, I was entering in city names of the school's homes from Wikipedia and not putting in, say, the mailing address of the main campus of each school or the address of the home rink. I don't know if that would matter very much, even in the tightly-clustered HE grouping.

A more thorough analysis would look at optimal travel paths, etc., but the NCAA manual doesn't work that way — it's really just "Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico games are exempt".

What I probably didn't clearly state is that WCHA teams generating 28 exempt games a season, unevenly distributed between member schools, doesn't guarantee that those exemptions will be used. Granting exemption generation to those schools, however, is a different kettle of fish. It's an easier sell for Ohio State to travel to Bowling Green than Fairbanks, even though they played both in the old CCHA.

Within reason (and outside of the Ivy League), I don't know why most coaches wouldn't mind getting in two more games a season. Mike Corbett doesn't want UAH to do 38 again, but a lot of that is probably because that almost assuredly means 11 trips for us. Would UAH play 38 games if it were only nine trips in the season? I think that they might.

Unanswered there is the question of whether UAH would be allowed to exempt games played in Alaska. I'd argue for yes, but I know that's wearing some seriously deep blue glasses.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Here it is: https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/06/2...ule-exemption/

Writ short:
                    1. Find geographic midpoint of all schools.
                    2. If your school is more than 1,000 miles from that midpoint, any home games you have are exempt from the visitors' schedule maximum. (UAH and AFA join UAA and UAF)
                    3. If at least half of your conference members are 500 miles from the midpoint, each of those teams can provide an exemption to one visiting school per season. (AHC and WCHA get this.)

I don't know if you can get that through the NCAAs, but it's an interesting concept. That would allow you to push the far-flung schools into the smaller conferences or have a bigger conference pick up a distant school to help them hit that second milestone. I don't think that adding ASU does that for the NCHC; it moves the midpoint to Pilger, NE, which probably isn't far enough from MU/WMU/UMD to make a difference; add two southwestern teams, though, and things might change.

GFM
                    I’m just glad to see Pilger, NE make it onto a college hockey message board. Carry on!

Comment

If I remember right, BG is the only school to come close to using all of their exemptions (in the current WCHA). With the redo of the playoffs, I can see more WCHA teams not using ANY exemptions before I see them using all available to them.

If your extra games are on the road anyway...I'd only play 34 if I were the coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
                        If I remember right, BG is the only school to come close to using all of their exemptions (in the current WCHA). With the redo of the playoffs, I can see more WCHA teams not using ANY exemptions before I see them using all available to them.

If your extra games are on the road anyway...I'd only play 34 if I were the coach.
                        Michigan Tech played 37 & 38 over the past 2 years I believe.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post

Follow-up pieces from me would include looking at how WCHA teams have used the 28 games that can be exempted each season. As many have noted, not all of these exemptions have been used. Looking at this will take a lot more work, since I'll have to pull up each team's schedule over the last few years and make notes.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            You’d react the same way if you constantly had people wishing your team would cease to exist. But hey, who doesn’t love a long bus ride to Houghton?
                            And it's a smartest 8 hr bus ride to the city, as the Hick county airstrip is closed a lot............as I found out, but the out of state snow-go riders were really nice .
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The NHL releases their complete schedule today at 4:00 today. We should get a better idea as to which date in January (12, 19 or 26) that Hockey Day Minnesota in Bemidji is on. The BSU Women play Mankato in a single non-conference game on the weekend of the 19th (on the schedule as the 18th, 19th or 20th) and the BSU Men play Michigan Tech in a home series on the 18th and 19th with it announced (by Michigan Tech) that the 19th will be outdoors. The official announcement is July 1 in Bemidji.
                              Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                The NHL releases their complete schedule today at 4:00 today. We should get a better idea as to which date in January (12, 19 or 26) that Hockey Day Minnesota in Bemidji is on. The BSU Women play Mankato in a single non-conference game on the weekend of the 19th (on the schedule as the 18th, 19th or 20th) and the BSU Men play Michigan Tech in a home series on the 18th and 19th with it announced (by Michigan Tech) that the 19th will be outdoors. The official announcement is July 1 in Bemidji.
                                The Wild host Columbus at 8 PM on January 19th. The 12th, they host Detroit, but at 7 PM and there is nothing on the 26th.
                                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Working...
                                X