Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    SAW/MQT has a much longer runway due to being a former AFB, and better weather due to being inland and not on a peninsula.

D328 also has a substantially lower max takeoff weight than a CRJ. I suppose if NMU bought all the seats/chartered out the whole CRJ from Sawyer, then including gear, it probably works. Or if the NCAA sent a 737, like they did for Tech the last couple of playoff trips.
    You don't want to do a CRJ 200 charter to Alaska. It doesn't have the fuel to make the trip. You might get away with a 900 but even then it would have to stop at least once. It's very tough to find a deal/lease on CRJ 200 flying. all you can find are charters which are normally highway robbery.
    Jets in general are much higher to operate. think 14- 20 dollars per mile instead of 8-10 dollars per mile. A bus is 3.50 per mile. A CRJ would be a lot nicer and quicker in this role but not close enough on the money to be feasible. A turbo prop you might be able to handle.You might also get lucky and find a Dornier jet at a discount but it's not really much faster than the turbo prop. 350 ktas.

If you really wanted to do it, get a Dash 8 - 200 which can carry the cargo, and has the capacity for fuel enough that if the weather was bad you can still go.. the Dornier is a lot faster plane though and more efficient and cheaper. it could do it as long as you limited it to 30 seats or less and used the 200 version and not the 100. There are some other possible planes but that's getting too detailed for a discussion that isn't going anywhere anyway.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Looks like the Beavers will have a home exhibition against the Lakehead Thunderwolves on Saturday, October 6!

http://lakesuperiornews.com/Sports/T...ockey-schedule
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        Looks like the Beavers will have a home exhibition against the Lakehead Thunderwolves on Saturday, October 6!

The Beavers and Lakehead...joke's just write themselves, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          That wasn't why Bergeron said he wanted out of the league.
          I didn't say the biggest. I said one of them. As Shirtless said, the bottom of the league is overall the biggest knock. Money, or lack there of, is another. Top it off, at least 2 schools openly talking about wanting to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

They were in the same league back in the late 60s to early 70s. Have the Beavers played Lakehead in exhibition games very often since way back then?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
              I didn't say the biggest. I said one of them. As Shirtless said, the bottom of the league is overall the biggest knock. Money, or lack there of, is another. Top it off, at least 2 schools openly talking about wanting to leave.
              He expects more money because expected bigger crowds?? Can't beat the bottom four is the issue or not enough points when you do so? Prepared to be in the bottom four in his new league?

Suggest instead of complaints find solutions that lift all the teams.

Comment

With all due respect: the league championship trophy is sponsored by a maple syrup company. The conference isn’t buying a plane.
                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bgdrew View Post
                  with all due respect: The league championship trophy is sponsored by a maple syrup company. The conference isn’t buying a plane.
                  Totally true.

In fact, it's a maple syrup company most people have never heard of.
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-31-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    He expects more money because expected bigger crowds?? Can't beat the bottom four is the issue or not enough points when you do so? Prepared to be in the bottom four in his new league?

I agree. Before one complains about external (league) things, they need to look at internal things, like attendance, ~2,300/game <50% of capacity per USCHO for 2017-2018 season. For Reference UA_ had fewer home games and a higher average ~2,400/game. By the numbers, one would thing BGSU in the bottom 4 last year and had no shot at playing for an NCAA tourney At Large bid. To my untrained eye, it appears to be a school/program issue, not a league issue.

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendan...men/2017-2018/

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Totally true.

In fact, it's a maple syrup company most people have never heard of.
                      Honestly, whatever they're paying, it's not enough for the indignity of, "WHO?"

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post

the WCHA is fine... but it can be better. and in fine, i mean that they are in a position, and at times need, to hustle and come up with new ideas to help the conference be better...

i expect(ed) something different news-wise this off-season; so far nothing.

my suggestion would be more NC games... maybe the creation of two regions with the AK teams as floaters to said regions (if you go to AK you play both UAF and UAA).

as far as teams moving in-&-out of other conferences... boy...

the only (most) certainty is that ASU joins somebody. my guess is its B1G first, NACHO next, with the WCHA a very, very distant third.

i made these maps [turns out i don't have permission to use attachments] a while back... people sometimes get their distances off... looking at a map, shows fact.

anyway... i really like this conversation for i only see opportunity for the WCHA to get better by playing better teams... be it C or NC. the more better-teams we play, the bigger the chance, be it a lucky bounce, of winning against them not to mention the exposure.

and remember too that tech has made it into the NCAA because they won the playoffs... not because of PWR or anything like that. do not forget that the WCHA competition (however crappy at times) is what made the last two runs possible. go and ask n'dak and gophers fans how they feel about this past year...

cheers, kiko
                        Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 05-31-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                          I agree. Before one complains about external (league) things, they need to look at internal things, like attendance, ~2,300/game <50% of capacity per USCHO for 2017-2018 season. For Reference UA_ had fewer home games and a higher average ~2,400/game. By the numbers, one would thing BGSU in the bottom 4 last year and had no shot at playing for an NCAA tourney At Large bid. To my untrained eye, it appears to be a school/program issue, not a league issue.

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendan...men/2017-2018/
                          FWIW, BG always reports actual attendance (tickets scanned) as opposed to tickets sold. Watching the games at UA_ as well as others on WCHA TV tells me that they appear to be padding the actual attendance numbers. On top of that we had several home games over student breaks which hurts attendance a lot.

As far as the locals are concerned in regards to attendance, many have never heard of the likes of UAH, Bimidji, MTU, or MSU Mankato (sorry but these are the facts when you exist square in the middle of the Big 10 as well as the MAC). The fans that have been around for a 35 - 40 years have, of course, but you're not going to bring in a lot of new fans with those names on the docket regardless of how good they are. In that regard I think that the university really needs to get the word out via advertising when we have a top 15 team in the arena. I saw a bit more of that this past year with actual TV ads for hockey which, to my knowledge, they've never done in the past.
                          Last edited by BGFan; 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Maybe the WCHA should partner up with this guy and get a jet for the league?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/je...rnd/index.html
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                              FWIW, BG always reports actual attendance (tickets scanned) as opposed to tickets sold. Watching the games at UA_ as well as others on WCHA TV tells me that they appear to be padding the actual attendance numbers. On top of that we had several home games over student breaks which hurts attendance a lot.

As far as the locals are concerned in regards to attendance, many have never heard of the likes of UAH, Bimidji, MTU, or MSU Mankato (sorry but these are the facts when you exist square in the middle of the Big 10 as well as the MAC). The fans that have been around for a 35 - 40 years have, of course, but you're not going to bring in a lot of new fans with those names on the docket regardless of how good they are. In that regard I think that the university really needs to get the word out via advertising when we have a top 15 team in the arena. I saw a bit more of that this past year with actual TV ads for hockey which, to my knowledge, they've never done in the past.
                              Winning should bring plenty of fans and BGSU has done plenty of that..also I don’t really know why anyone would report tickets scanned vs tickets sold...no one else seems to,
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Honestly, whatever they're paying, it's not enough for the indignity of, "WHO?"

GFM
                                It’s actually my wife’s preferred maple syrup and probably the best out there for the real stuff and it’s available throughout the conference
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X