Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Something I found mildly interesting was an average finish in the standings for each WCHA school since realignment. It plays out about like you would expect, but I thought it was interesting to see it on a computer screen. The average final standings are as follows:

1. Mankato
    2. Michigan Tech
    3. Bowling Green
    4. Ferris State
    5. Bemidji State
    T-6. UA-Fairbanks
    T-6: Northern Michigan
    8. Lake Superior
    T-9. UA-Anchorage
    T-9 Alabama Huntsville

A few things to note...
    Anchorage and Huntsville are the only two teams to be shut out of the playoffs four out of five years
    Fairbanks has fallen off considerably since 2015; 3rd and 4th in 2014 and 2015, followed by 8th, 6th, and 8th
    Ferris State finished first in 2014, but has been in 4th-6th purgatory ever since
    Michigan Tech looks like a big smiley face (or sad face, depending on how you like your charts) if you put their finishes in chart form...5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th
    Bemidji is all over the place...9th, 5th, 6th, 1st, 4th

Every team has qualified for the playoffs at least once
    Fairbanks, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Mankato, and NMU have qualified for the playoffs every year since realignment (well, Fairbanks would have made the playoffs in 2015 had it not been for that pesky NCAA ruling)
    Mankato has never finished below 3rd
    Lake Superior and Huntsville have never finished above 7th

Just some random offseason information. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Squarebanks; 07-31-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Something I found mildly interesting was an average finish in the standings for each WCHA school since realignment. It plays out about like you would expect, but I thought it was interesting to see it on a computer screen. The average final standings are as follows:

1. Mankato
    2. Michigan Tech
    3. Bowling Green
    4. Ferris State
    5. Bemidji State
    T-6. UA-Fairbanks
    T-6: Northern Michigan
    8. Lake Superior
    T-9. UA-Anchorage
    T-9 Alabama Huntsville

A few things to note...
    Anchorage and Huntsville are the only two teams to be shut out of the playoffs four out of five years
    Fairbanks has fallen off considerably since 2015; 3rd and 4th in 2014 and 2015, followed by 8th, 6th, and 8th
    Ferris State finished first in 2014, but has been in 4th-6th purgatory ever since
    Michigan Tech looks like a big smiley face (or sad face, depending on how you like your charts) if you put their finishes in chart form...5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 5th
    Bemidji is all over the place...9th, 5th, 6th, 1st, 4th

Every team has qualified for the playoffs at least once
    Fairbanks, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, Mankato, and NMU have qualified for the playoffs every year since realignment (well, Fairbanks would have made the playoffs in 2015 had it not been for that pesky NCAA ruling)
    Mankato has never finished below 3rd
    Lake Superior and Huntsville have never finished above 7th

Just some random offseason information. Enjoy.
    Bemidji State has made the playoffs every year as well. The year you have as 9th, I believe they tied for eighth and had the tiebreaker. I would have to double check though.

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Bemidji State has made the playoffs every year as well. The year you have as 9th, I believe they tied for eighth and had the tiebreaker. I would have to double check though.
    Ah, my bad.

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

NMU also plays at Notre Dame on Tuesday, November 27th after playing the weekend prior at Lake State.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2018-19/schedule

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    NMU also plays at Notre Dame on Tuesday, November 27th after playing the weekend prior at Lake State.

ND really set the schedule up nice during that time. Maybe they'll be rusty and NMU can take advantage early

I really like it since the last 2 years of the CCHA, we played the Irish in Marquette and all I got to see of Compton was a building under construction and the sketches and plans in Coach Jackson’s office!

Michigan Tech Fan

A Tuesday night game... yep it looks like Notre Dame is fitting into the Bi6(7) mold nicely. Play hockey games when ever it doesn't conflict with football or bouncyball reruns on the Big Network...
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    A Tuesday night game... yep it looks like Notre Dame is fitting into the Bi6(7) mold nicely. Play hockey games when ever it doesn't conflict with football or bouncyball reruns on the Big Network...
    Ryan J
    BGSU plays Tuesday night games fairly regularly to fill out their non-conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    BGSU plays Tuesday night games fairly regularly to fill out their non-conference schedule.
    Sure, that works when you have N teams in X-mile radius.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Sure, that works when you have N teams in X-mile radius.

GFM
    Just saying, it's not just the Bi6 that does it. Sometimes, it's the only time available to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    Just saying, it's not just the Bi6 that does it. Sometimes, it's the only time available to make it work.
    Eastern teams do it, too.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Roll along you BG Warriors!

To help us get ready for the upcoming season I am attaching a poll where you can project the final WCHA standings for the 2018-19 season. Results will be averaged across the total number of entries so we'll find out what the group as a whole thinks about this year's teams. Also, it's anonymous so official members of the press can play along. Lastly, we're on the honor system -- only one entry per person (no stuffing the ballot box).

After a week I'll post the final results.

Entry Form

Summary Results

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    To help us get ready for the upcoming season I am attaching a poll where you can project the final WCHA standings for the 2018-19 season. Results will be averaged across the total number of entries so we'll find out what the group as a whole thinks about this year's teams. Also, it's anonymous so official members of the press can play along. Lastly, we're on the honor system -- only one entry per person (no stuffing the ballot box).

Entry Form

Summary Results
    OK, did everyone get the response of "Roll Along, You BG Warrior" or was that only if you picked them for first place?

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    OK, did everyone get the response of "Roll Along, You BG Warrior" or was that only if you picked them for first place?
    My bad. I copied the form from when I polled the folks on AZZ. Fixed. Apologies for the homerness...

My bad. I copied the form from when I polled the folks on AZZ. Fixed. Apologies for the homerness...
    It's all right! I appreciate the work you did on this. I just didn't want anyone thinking that my voting BG 1st meant that I WANT them to finish there. I dread it, but I think it's the most logical choice this year.

Results below. We had 66 responses. Some observations:

o 66 people read the WCHA thread. Nice! That's 66 more than who reads the Nacho thread.
    o Consensus is pretty clear:
    o Mankato picked to repeat
    o 3-way pick-em between BG, Northern, and Tech for 2-4 and home ice in the first round
    o Bemidji and Ferris sew up the 5 and 6 spots respectively
    o UAH sitting pretty in 7th
    o Toss-up between the Lakers and Nanooks for that last playoff spot (fascinating that after 66 entries only 4 points separate these teams)
    o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
    Rank	Team			Score
    1	Minnesota State		119
    2	Bowling Green		170
    3	Northern Michigan	204
    4	Michigan Tech		231
    5	Bemidji State		321
    6	Ferris State		411
    7	Alabama Huntsville	466
    8	Lake Superior		534
    9	Alaska			530
    10	Alaska Anchorage	644
    Scoring was based on adding up the individual rankings for each team (1 point for first, 2 points for second, etc.). The lower the score, the higher the rank. Lowest possible score would be 66, highest would be 660.

o 66 people read the WCHA thread. Nice! That's 66 more than who reads the Nacho thread.
    o 3-way pick-em between BG, Northern, and Tech for 2-4 and home ice in the first round
    o Toss-up between the Lakers and Nanooks for that last playoff spot (fascinating that after 66 entries only 4 points separate these teams)
    o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
    Rank	Team			Score
    1	Minnesota State		119
    2	Bowling Green		170
    3	Northern Michigan	204
    4	Michigan Tech		231
    5	Bemidji State		321
    6	Ferris State		411
    7	Alabama Huntsville	466
    8	Lake Superior		534
    9	Alaska			530
    10	Alaska Anchorage	644
    Scoring was based on adding up the individual rankings for each team (1 point for first, 2 points for second, etc.). The lower the score, the higher the rank. Lowest possible score would be 66, highest would be 660.
    Not surprising results. That is about what I expected, and pretty dang close to what I selected. Seems like a reasonable expectation for this preseason.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

o Seawolves in 10th

Code:
    Rank	Team			Score
    1	Minnesota State		119
    2	Bowling Green		170
    3	Northern Michigan	204
    4	Michigan Tech		231
    5	Bemidji State		321
    6	Ferris State		411
    7	Alabama Huntsville	466
    8	Lake Superior		534
    9	Alaska			530
    10	Alaska Anchorage	644
    Not to sound like a sandbagger here, but the Mavs lost 2 40+ point scorers from last year, a defenseman who leaped straight to the NHL, and all of our goaltenders. Meanwhile, Tech and Northern both bring in a lot of momentum from last year, and BGSU appears loaded. I HOPE we win the MacNaughton, but I certainly don't EXPECT us to win the MacNaughton.

Entry Form

Summary Results
    I was actually about to post a carbon copy of the media poll that I'm conducting. I'll do that anyway, since I asked more questions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8Q3RXDN

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Watch out for the bull!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Not to sound like a sandbagger here, but the Mavs lost 2 40+ point scorers from last year, a defenseman who leaped straight to the NHL, and all of our goaltenders. Meanwhile, Tech and Northern both bring in a lot of momentum from last year, and BGSU appears loaded. I HOPE we win the MacNaughton, but I certainly don't EXPECT us to win the MacNaughton.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Thread Information