Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    A couple of years ago I proposed that the league own/ lease an airplane that they could base in Minneapolis and would pick up the Alaska teams and ferry them to the city they were headed for and vice versa. In addition it could be used to fly some of the more far flung games to each other, such as UAH vs BSU. That way all the Alaska travel went thru one city which would save money on air fare. So for instance it picks up BGSU at home and in two hours they are in Minny and connecting or vice versa. If you always had one Alaska team at home and one on the road it would work pretty well.
    There is a company in New Braunfels, Texas that does this for teams down there as they have similar distances to cover, so it can be done. But the league has to be strong financially to hack it. Actually the difference between flying and a bus is not as big as you might think. Especially if you figure it saves you a hotel night on each end.

This is not a jet. (Jets are another 50% more money.) The Texas guys do it with a Dornier, which is a 36 seat turbo prop. If you own the plane the cost per mile is less than if you lease, but of course there's a lot that goes into owning.
    it is more expensive than presently, but long term it would make staying in the league a lot easier.
    ANC/FAI-Minny is five hours nonstop on a jet. Tack on a couple more hours on a prop, plus at least one fuel stop, and it sounds like a positively horrible experience.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      No way MTU accepts being in that version of the WCHA.
      Dood, auto-bid.
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        ANC/FAI-Minny is five hours nonstop on a jet. Tack on a couple more hours on a prop, plus at least one fuel stop, and it sounds like a positively horrible experience.
        BSU changed in Seattle. 15 hrs BSU -> FAI
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          BSU was also on a jet the whole way. Which makes a big difference.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            To be on a jet you have to leave Bemidji and drive to someplace where a jet is. that adds time. BG would most likely drive to Detroit, Tech and NMU i would guess drive down to Green Bay, so now we have an overnight. Flying a prop can be done right from your town. so you have 1 stop and not an over night. in the BG case, 2 hour flight, 1.5 hour connection, 6 hour flight. no change in seattle or salt lake or chicago. yes it's a long day, but it's one day not two.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

No one of sound mind is flying a Dornier 328 from the Lower 48 to ANC or FAI. Not only do they lack the baggage capacity for a hockey team (which is why WCHA teams bus to bigger cities to fly commercial in the first place), but I've been on that plane, and they are loud, obnoxious pieces of sh*t that get tossed around and are subject to wind shear in unpredictable Rockies turbulence.

EDIT: Also, you're forgetting that if the league owned a plane outright, they would be on the hook for insurance, fuel, hangar/parking fees, landing fees, paying probably at least 2-3 crews, etc.

Case closed.
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-29-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

No one of sound mind is flying a Dornier 328 from the Lower 48 to ANC or FAI. Not only do they lack the baggage capacity for a hockey team (which is why WCHA teams bus to bigger cities to fly commercial in the first place), but I've been on that plane, and they are loud, obnoxious pieces of sh*t that get tossed around and are subject to wind shear in unpredictable Rockies turbulence.

EDIT: Also, you're forgetting that if the league owned a plane outright, they would be on the hook for insurance, fuel, hangar/parking fees, landing fees, paying probably at least 2-3 crews, etc.

Case closed.
                NMU flew out of MSP to FAI last year and has done it out of MQT several times. My MQT-FAI trips have ranged from 16-21 1/2 hours. ANC, 9-16.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  NMU flew out of MSP to FAI last year and has done it out of MQT several times. My MQT-FAI trips have ranged from 16-21 1/2 hours. ANC, 9-16.
                  SAW/MQT has a much longer runway due to being a former AFB, and better weather due to being inland and not on a peninsula.

D328 also has a substantially lower max takeoff weight than a CRJ. I suppose if NMU bought all the seats/chartered out the whole CRJ from Sawyer, then including gear, it probably works. Or if the NCAA sent a 737, like they did for Tech the last couple of playoff trips.
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-29-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Case closed.
                    Sure but... NO ONE is suggesting that plane fly to ANC, that's nuts.Or over the rockies, either, what i am suggesting is that it fly from Bg to Minnesota. or Bemidji to Huntsville. It's not going to happen, of course, but you all want a solution, it's a solution.

I'll try to clarify. The teams fly commercial from Minneapolis to ANC or Fairbanks, (or from chicago, who cares). but the league, instead of having them bus to minny, leases a plane to fly them from the city they are in, to Minneapolis or from Minneapolis to the city they are in to play in.. This is often a significant bus ride.

For instance take LSSU. As it is now, to get to ANC they fly on a crummy commuter to Detroit, wait 4 hours, then on a flight to Seattle, wait 4 more hours, then on a flight to ANC. But if the league had a plane for their use, it would be one flight to Minneapolis, 1.5 hours, and connect to direct to ANC with minimal wait.
                    Coming back it's even better because the flight back is a red eye. leave ANC at midnight, arrive Minneapolis at 8 am, plane picks you up and you are home at 10:30. vs going to Seattle, arriving at 5 am, waiting 4 hours, fly to Minnesota or Detroit or Chicago, change again, fly to an airport near home, take the bus. Arrive at midnight.
                    And I particularly said lease/own. either way you pay. it's different than a charter because the league has 100% call on the plane and it's a lot cheaper.And some of these planes have bigger luggage capacity than others.
                    Last edited by manurespreader; 05-29-2018, 10:10 PM.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Good news! I guess the WCHA front office does read this page. Due to some of the required logo changes in MLB next season, the WCHA has acquired a plane for the league's teams to use at minimal cost. All it needs is a new paint job. We're all traveling in style to Alaska now...
                      Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Sure but... NO ONE is suggesting that plane fly to ANC, that's nuts.Or over the rockies, either, what i am suggesting is that it fly from Bg to Minnesota. or Bemidji to Huntsville. It's not going to happen, of course, but you all want a solution, it's a solution.

I'll try to clarify. The teams fly commercial from Minneapolis to ANC or Fairbanks, (or from chicago, who cares). but the league, instead of having them bus to minny, leases a plane to fly them from the city they are in, to Minneapolis or from Minneapolis to the city they are in to play in.. This is often a significant bus ride.

For instance take LSSU. As it is now, to get to ANC they fly on a crummy commuter to Detroit, wait 4 hours, then on a flight to Seattle, wait 4 more hours, then on a flight to ANC. But if the league had a plane for their use, it would be one flight to Minneapolis, 1.5 hours, and connect to direct to ANC with minimal wait.
                        Coming back it's even better because the flight back is a red eye. leave ANC at midnight, arrive Minneapolis at 8 am, plane picks you up and you are home at 10:30. vs going to Seattle, arriving at 5 am, waiting 4 hours, fly to Minnesota or Detroit or Chicago, change again, fly to an airport near home, take the bus. Arrive at midnight.
                        And I particularly said lease/own. either way you pay. it's different than a charter because the league has 100% call on the plane and it's a lot cheaper.And some of these planes have bigger luggage capacity than others.
                        Got it now. Certainly makes more sense as a shuttle to/from MSP.

As you admit, still won't happen. Makes for a fun idea though.

"Crummy commuter" - dontcha know the CRJ-200 is properly called the "Flying Bus"?

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Good news! I guess the WCHA front office does read this page. Due to some of the required logo changes in MLB next season, the WCHA has acquired a plane for the league's teams to use at minimal cost. All it needs is a new paint job. We're all traveling in style to Alaska now...
                        Ryan

*snip*
                        DC-3, eh? Must've bought it from Allegiant.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-30-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Call the stewardess, Vaughn. I need one of those bags!
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I like this idea a lot. It would streamline a lot.

IMO, if one of the biggest knock on the league is the travel, one would think the league would think outside the box to fix that. This kind of proposal would make the experience much more tolerable. As stated, now you are dealing with flights into/out of MSP only. It because your travel hub.

Let's expand the proposal a bit and talk about using it for Huntsville as well. It could alleviate travel there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                              IMO, if one of the biggest knock on the league is the travel,
                              That wasn't why Bergeron said he wanted out of the league.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                That wasn't why Bergeron said he wanted out of the league.
                                He wants out because of the PWR hit to playing so many bottom 10 teams? No matter who you play it’s hard to beat them 4 teams.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X