Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    After the post game scuffle, I lost all respect for that POS program. I don't recall if anyone in the WCHA has them this year.
    We have three grinders on our coaching staff now. They don't want to screw with us.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      We have three grinders on our coaching staff now. They don't want to screw with us.

GFM
      This is the brand of Hockey they started with. I went to a game they played two years ago vs the USNTDP, an exhibition and they did this kind of thing. The US coaches were incensed beyond belief. I don't expect them to change.
      If you saw the news conference three years ago when they announced the team, the AD at the time was a young and egotistical guy, who I am sure is even more so now.
      If they were in our league you can bet they'd be throwing their weight around in league decisions, which I guess is natural. It benefits us to have them, baggage and all, but I seriously doubt they are interested.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        This is the brand of Hockey they started with. I went to a game they played two years ago vs the USNTDP, an exhibition and they did this kind of thing. The US coaches were incensed beyond belief. I don't expect them to change.
        If you saw the news conference three years ago when they announced the team, the AD at the time was a young and egotistical guy, who I am sure is even more so now.
        If they were in our league you can bet they'd be throwing their weight around in league decisions, which I guess is natural. It benefits us to have them, baggage and all, but I seriously doubt they are interested.
        i am certain the WCHA will be courting them...

and them courting the NACHO and the B1G...

Comment

So if I read the OT stories right, it was the eastern schools jobbing the western schools. Huh.

I don't know how I feel about adding a 19th skater.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

So if I read the OT stories right, it was the eastern schools jobbing the western schools. Huh.

I don't know how I feel about adding a 19th skater.

GFM
            I like the 19th because it reduces the penalty for an ejection and helps team that take a game ending injury.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Former NMU G Mathias Israelsson has enrolled at Minnesota State as a grad transfer.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

So I'm thinking this morning about what WCHA teams generally want. They fall into the following categories:

A, Holding on and trying to figure out what kind of a future that their program has: UAA, UAF, UAH, LSSU
                B, Lamenting past heights but trying to figure out how to punch up again as a smaller school (i.e., we need a top-six NHL forward again): BSU, FSU
                C, Enjoying being a big fish in a small pond while they look to improve their national profile: BGSU, MTU, NMU
                D, Waiting on the NCHC to get back to them: MSU

Those categories are in increasing levels of strength. I'd put BG in that highest class, but they don't want to be in the NCHC for travel purposes. I almost created a fifth group, "Waiting for massive realignment to renew the CCHA".

Based on that, who wants what out of any realignment?

A: They run the risk of truly getting screwed. Western realignment last time came down the way that it did because the incumbents wanted to keep the small, far-flung UA* schools in business. Frankly, all three have had their very existences threatened, and LSSU somehow has a smaller budget than even all of these (probably in part because 1/3 of their road trips are in-state). They just want to stay in the game.

B: They are in a better place, of course, but they risk getting pushed to the rubbish bin.

C: Do they have the profile to be up with Mankato? Part of that is going to be a function of geography. If a nouveau CCHA came along that didn't have Bi6 schools in it but did return the old actors and pull in MTU as well, isn't that a pretty decent league and better than what the WCHA is now if you don't keep all of A (like, taking UAF back)?

D: They're the shark circling the WCHA aquarium, chewing up teams for victories and wanting to be in a bigger, cleaner tank.

The reason to ask that is this: I'm not sure how realignment happens, but it could get ugly. The only school that leaves might be the Mavericks, but they'll have the money to pay the escape penalty. If much else happens — like recreating the CCHA — the WCHA as we know it wouldn't exist, and if you're a team in A, that fact makes you very nervous.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Is Bowling Pins really, "improving their national profile"? Or any of those institutions, for that matter?

Comment

When push comes to shove
                    WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
                    CCHA 2.0 will be all teams east of Wisconsin plus one AK school.

B1G and USAFA unchanged.

It saves money and restores old rivalries which should help put fannies in the seats.
                    Last edited by joecct; 06-18-2018, 06:50 PM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I like the 19th because it reduces the penalty for an ejection and helps team that take a game ending injury.
                      I’m with you. I’ve seen too many games where a player gets a game or even a 10, and a couple guys get nicked up and all of a sudden you’re at 14 or 15 healthy skaters. Especially when you have some players who are playing through an injury, then the fatigue factor really becomes an issue.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        When push comes to shove
                        WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
                        CCHA 2.0 will be all teams east of Wisconsin plus one AK school.

B1G and USAFA unchanged.

It saves money and restores old rivalries which should help put fannies in the seats.
                        What assurances do you have that UA* will be involved? That sorting involves some level of benevolence.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          When push comes to shove... WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
                          B1G and USAFA unchanged.
                          I see zero chance of this happening. The "separatists" have made it clear they have no interest in ever going to Alaska, Alabama, the UP, Northern "lower Michigan" or anywhere else they deem to beneath the stature of their programs. There is no way they would be able to put their egos aside and get back the former WCHA members any time in the near future. It would be like admitting they were wrong. The nacho teams will end up in a conference with Harvard, ASU, Puerto Rico and Oregon before they hop back into bed with MTU, Bemidji, NMU, Ferris, etc.

There is a better chance of the WCHA splitting and maybe picking up 1 or 2 more teams from somewhere else if teams are that concerned about geography (which I honestly don't think they are). Maybe a couple teams might have real money concerns, but I think for the 57 or so D-I teams, the cost of playing D-I hockey is what it is and they are not going to join/create a new conference to save $15,000 a year in travel costs. Raise ticket prices $1 each - problem solved.

Ryan
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I see zero chance of this happening. The "separatists" have made it clear they have no interest in ever going to Alaska, Alabama, the UP, Northern "lower Michigan" or anywhere else they deem to beneath the stature of their programs. There is no way they would be able to put their egos aside and get back the former WCHA members any time in the near future. It would be like admitting they were wrong. The nacho teams will end up in a conference with Harvard, ASU, Puerto Rico and Oregon before they hop back into bed with MTU, Bemidji, NMU, Ferris, etc.

There is a better chance of the WCHA splitting and maybe picking up 1 or 2 more teams from somewhere else if teams are that concerned about geography (which I honestly don't think they are). Maybe a couple teams might have real money concerns, but I think for the 57 or so D-I teams, the cost of playing D-I hockey is what it is and they are not going to join/create a new conference to save $15,000 a year in travel costs. Raise ticket prices $1 each - problem solved.

Ryan
                            it makes some sense to believe that WMU and Miami will be let out with MSU and ASU replacing them...which could leave two 6 team conferences...
                            BSU, MTU, NMU, LSSU, UAH, UAA?
                            FSU, WMU, BGSU, Miami, UAF, RMU?

I don't know, that doesn't work out that well I guess. It will never happen but it'd be nice if the western schools that need to fly everywhere anyone would join together...but I don't see CC, DU, or UNO wanting to be with ASU, UAA, UAF for any length of time.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              it makes some sense to believe that WMU and Miami will be let out with MSU and ASU replacing them...which could leave two 6 team conferences...
                              BSU, MTU, NMU, LSSU, UAH, UAA?
                              FSU, WMU, BGSU, Miami, UAF, RMU?

I don't know, that doesn't work out that well I guess. It will never happen but it'd be nice if the western schools that need to fly everywhere anyone would join together...but I don't see CC, DU, or UNO wanting to be with ASU, UAA, UAF for any length of time.
                              You'd be far better off as treating it as a two-division, 12-team conference, given that four teams are at least mildly shaky. (I mean, I think that UAH is on solid footing, but we're not rolling around in cash or anything.)

I've put some thought into this, but I haven't put it together...

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

You'd be far better off as treating it as a two-division, 12-team conference, given that four teams are at least mildly shaky. (I mean, I think that UAH is on solid footing, but we're not rolling around in cash or anything.)

I've put some thought into this, but I haven't put it together...

GFM
                                Honestly, there are too many unknowns at this point to come up with any suggested change that might improve things.. Other teams not in the mix might show up, some teams might close hockey altogether, etc. The timing right now to me is suspect and I don't think anything is going to happen for a while. But.. given that travel is the biggest issue, teams that are close might want to be at least talking. Such as maybe UMD and MTU/NMU. In fact might it make sense to trade UMD for Mankato? even up?
                                To me you have a serious problem with travel and with the team's other prejudices, it makes solutions very difficult.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X