Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    What was your point again?
    That he doesn't know where the capital of Alaska is?

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    That he doesn't know where the capital of Alaska is?
    No. It's Nome, right?

The idea was that I could drive from here to there. I can also drive to Juneau but I need to take 2 ferries at some time.

I've taken the ferry across Lake Champlain and the Lewes - Cape May ferry, so it's not that big a deal. 90 miles may be different, so it costs a bit more and takes a bit longer.

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No. It's Nome, right?
    With the way these city-dwellers brag about surviving, you'd think all of Alaska was like the Brooks Range.

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    With the way these city-dwellers brag about surviving, you'd think all of Alaska was like the Brooks Range.
    I figure they're all like all of the reality TV shows about Alaska tell us they are.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I figure they're all like all of the reality TV shows about Alaska tell us they are.
    Itís a great experience...once you get there!

Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

HA! I counted them all up once, I think there have been over 50 reality shows about Alaska. Almost all of them are not "real" in any sense of the word. We know Marty Raney, and the things he can tell ya Ö
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Ferguson Resigns As Hitmen Head Coach

The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club today announced Head Coach Dallas Ferguson has resigned due to family reasons.

“Dallas approached me last week, stating his wife is unable to continue to work her current job in Alaska while moving to Calgary as originally planned. As a father to two young girls he does not want to live apart from his family again this year. We respect this decision, supporting that family comes first and wish Dallas all the best in the future,” said Hitmen General Manager Jeff Chynoweth.
    Ferguson led the Hitmen to a 24-37-9-2 record in his one season as bench boss finishing in fifth place in the Central Division.
    The search for a new Head Coach will begin immediately.

I, for one, love Alaska and love having them in our league. Yes, the trip up is a killer, but so worth it. Anchorage was much larger and cosmopolitan than I envisioned. Suze was the consummate host. Every WCHA fan should try to make the trip at least once. We made it an extended trip, went to Seward, Denali, Talkitna (did I spell that right?) where we watched the Super Bowl. That was like the Alaska you see on TV. One B&B open and one bar. Folks came to the bar with food to share and most of the guys had a dog with them, sleeping under the table. The bartender and I were the only women. Giants beat the Patriots and one of the fans cheering on the Giants was a black man from New York City. We all fed off his excitement and it was a great time. The mister then drove us to an AFB where he was documenting the old facility, they put us up in the new part. Some of the nicest quarters I've stayed in the military. Even if there was an inch of ice on the inside of the windows in the morning. -50. Wish we had made it up to Fairbanks, but didn't have the time. Must put that on the bucket list.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 2

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    I, for one, love Alaska and love having them in our league. Yes, the trip up is a killer, but so worth it. Anchorage was much larger and cosmopolitan than I envisioned. Suze was the consummate host. Every WCHA fan should try to make the trip at least once. We made it an extended trip, went to Seward, Denali, Talkitna (did I spell that right?) where we watched the Super Bowl. That was like the Alaska you see on TV. One B&B open and one bar. Folks came to the bar with food to share and most of the guys had a dog with them, sleeping under the table. The bartender and I were the only women. Giants beat the Patriots and one of the fans cheering on the Giants was a black man from New York City. We all fed off his excitement and it was a great time. The mister then drove us to an AFB where he was documenting the old facility, they put us up in the new part. Some of the nicest quarters I've stayed in the military. Even if there was an inch of ice on the inside of the windows in the morning. -50. Wish we had made it up to Fairbanks, but didn't have the time. Must put that on the bucket list.
    Wait, you were in Girdwood for the Super Bowl when the Giants beat the Patriots? Shirtless Guy and I were in Girdwood watching the Giants beat the Patriots...how did we not realize this at the time?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    HA! I counted them all up once, I think there have been over 50 reality shows about Alaska. Almost all of them are not "real" in any sense of the word. We know Marty Raney, and the things he can tell ya Ö
    I like the one with the really screwed up, inbred-like family...that is probably too general, given all that have existed. Can't recall the name of it. Terrible TV, but ok for a *** laugh for 5 minutes.

RIP - Kirby

Wait, you were in Girdwood for the Super Bowl when the Giants beat the Patriots? Shirtless Guy and I were in Girdwood watching the Giants beat the Patriots...how did we not realize this at the time?
    we were all up there the weekend before for the Tech game - I remember we ran into you and Shirtless at the Anchorage (or Alaska) Museum. but you couldn't have been in Talkeenta. there was only one place to stay - a bed and breakfast and we were the only people there and the bar was the only thing open and surely we would have seen you - it was small. what/where is Girdwood?
    Boosh Factor 2

it would have been the 2007 or 2011 Super Bowl. good gawd, I can't remember that far back. Jamie was still coaching and Dave Shiyak for Anchorage.
    Boosh Factor 2

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

we were all up there the weekend before for the Tech game - I remember we ran into you and Shirtless at the Anchorage (or Alaska) Museum. but you couldn't have been in Talkeenta. there was only one place to stay - a bed and breakfast and we were the only people there and the bar was the only thing open and surely we would have seen you - it was small. what/where is Girdwood?
    We drove up to talkeetna, did breakfast at some place, flew around Denali and drove back...we drove down to seward, checked out gulf of alaska, drove back to girdwood and had dinner at double musky inn and watched super bowl with the kitchen staff.
    February 2008
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    We drove up to talkeetna, did breakfast at some place, flew around Denali and drove back...we drove down to seward, checked out gulf of alaska, drove back to girdwood and had dinner at double musky inn and watched super bowl with the kitchen staff.
    February 2008
    flew around Denali?? that must have been awesome. I really need to get back up there. I haven't seen Fairbanks and would love to do more exploring in Anchorage. We drove to Seward too. Most everything was closed. But it was a beautiful drive.
    Boosh Factor 2

Girdwood is about a 45 minute drive down Turnigan Arm, near Mt Alyeska. Thereís a cool new brewery in Girdwood and you can take the tram/gondola up the the bar/restaurant at the top. Pretty incredible time.

Yeah, we were in Girdwood, while you were in Talkeetna. Kinda went opposite ways out of Anchorage.

RIP - Kirby

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    February 2008
    Isnít that where we ended up at PJís with Donald?

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Isnít that where we ended up at PJís with Donald?
    Yup it was that trip

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Isn’t that where we ended up at PJ’s with Donald?
    Thanks. I just puked a bit in my mouth.

After that experience I was so terrified of the concept of "natural women" that I couldn’t watch NatGeo for 3 months.
    Last edited by bigblue_dl; 06-28-2018 at 11:33 PM.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Brooks sounds good right about now, as I currently sit in Point Lay, a village of 200 people. Majorioty of the town went beluga hunting these past couple days. Took a picture of a small blonde grizzly they shot a couple weeks ago. Played basketball with some kids with a cloud of mosquitoes annonying us every step. Good thing I brought extra food as Ravn Airlines cancelles flights left and right, but arrive just to take off without mentioning hey there is an extra seat you could've used.

Diatribe done.

Thread Information