Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    BTW my guess is Hannity covered up something similar to what O'Reilly covered up...which lets just say the Evangelicals would not be pleased with.
    The evangelicals donít care because theyíre hypocrites.

Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    The evangelicals don’t care because they’re hypocrites.
    "As witnesses not of our intentions but of our conduct, we can be true or false, and the hypocrite's crime is that he bears false witness against himself. What makes it so plausible to assume that hypocrisy is the vice of vices is that integrity can indeed exist under the cover of all other vices except this one. Only crime and the criminal, it is true, confront us with the perplexity of radical evil; but only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    So investigating a lawyer now allows for naming every single client that lawyer has represented?
    Law Professor was on Morning Joe this morning. He disagrees with it but that is IN FACT the law. The fact that you hired and lawyer and who that lawyer is is not privileged. Sorry.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    In this case though Hannity is flat out saying he was not hired in a legal capacity and wasnt paid as such. Unless he changes his tune it doesnt matter how you slice it there is no privilege.
    That's not exactly what he said. In typical Hannity fashion he seems to want it both ways.

He claims he never hired him "in the traditional sense" nor did he pay him anything nor was he invoiced by Cohen. However, he goes on to state that he consulted with Cohen from time to time on "legal" issues, and he expected those conversations were covered by the attorney client privilege. That, I think, creates issues for the lawyer that he has to respect in terms of attorney client privilege. I don't think the lawyer can say "well, he didn't pay me" and go ahead and disclose the confidence.

Here is the link. https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ink-sot-nr.cnn
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Law Professor was on Morning Joe this morning. He disagrees with it but that is IN FACT the law. The fact that you hired and lawyer and who that lawyer is is not privileged. Sorry.
    It will be interesting to see what sort of changes this brings about in the industry. I wonder if you could hire a lawyer through an LLC or something like that.

If I hire you and you are a lawyer, doesn't that mean I've hired you as my lawyer unless we have a specific contract that says, say, "I hire you to replant my petunias"?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...00/215/231196/

As I posted yesterday, there are exceptions to the rule.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    It will be interesting to see what sort of changes this brings about in the industry. I wonder if you could hire a lawyer through an LLC or something like that.
    Why would it have to change? In a court, you pretty much have to declare that you represent your client, so that all goes through you first.

The point of being a lawyer is to represent your client- so in all legal matters, you HAVE to declare that. It can't be hidden.

There are very few courts in this government that are outside of the public info domain.

Not sure how this gets so twisted up, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If I hire you and you are a lawyer, doesn't that mean I've hired you as my lawyer unless we have a specific contract that says, say, "I hire you to replant my petunias"?
    If I were the lawyer, that's what I would assume.

I really wonder what would have happened if Cohen had simply gone on Maddow's show and started blabbing about what he and Hannity spoke about. My guess is that he would be roasted right now, by pretty much everyone, for violating attorney client privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post

Heard that too. The Law Professor said the judge in this case (this lasted 30 minutes) probed whether an exception was met. It was not.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

That was great; thank you.

Also, note:

David Allen, Seattle, Wash., Allen Dershowitz, Jeanne Baker, Rosenberg, Baker & Fine, Cambridge, Mass., for defendant-appellant.

So Dershowitz actually tried a case once. Surprised he could spare the time from his TV appearances.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Why would it have to change? In a court, you pretty much have to declare that you represent your client, so that all goes through you first.

The point of being a lawyer is to represent your client- so in all legal matters, you HAVE to declare that. It can't be hidden.

There are very few courts in this government that are outside of the public info domain.

Not sure how this gets so twisted up, even.
    It gets twisted up because people either don't understand it or have very little real world experience with it.

People receive legal advice all the time without "declaring" who their lawyer is. I have a will that was prepared and no one other than my wife knows who drafted it. People take employment contracts to a lawyer to look at and no one "declares" to the public that relationship. People have a right to keep that confidential.

It gets twisted up because people either don't understand it or have very little real world experience with it.

People receive legal advice all the time without "declaring" who their lawyer is. I have a will that was prepared and no one other than my wife knows who drafted it. People take employment contracts to a lawyer to look at and no one "declares" to the public that relationship. People have a right to keep that confidential.
    Good point. It seems to me (note: speaking from ignorance here) that the reason counsel has to identify themselves in court is that's what gives them standing to speak. Otherwise they'd just be some dude off the street with no role in the trial.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

After the Cohen thing I would be a little worried that if somehow the guy is crooked my name might get dragged through the mud.

After the Cohen thing I would be a little worried that if somehow the guy is crooked my name might get dragged through the mud.
    As soon as you knew Trump was his client you would have fired him. Anyone with half a brain would have done so. Instead, Hannity kept the relationship and waited for the blatantly obvious to happen.

As soon as you knew Trump was his client you would have fired him. Anyone with half a brain would have done so. Instead, Hannity kept the relationship and waited for the blatantly obvious to happen.
    Absolutely. Iím talking more going forward I think now that the precendent has been (very publicly) set people will be a lot more careful. I trust WeAreND and others that it is above board what the judge did, which is a surprise to me and Iím sure many others who arenít lawyers.

Absolutely. Iím talking more going forward I think now that the precendent has been (very publicly) set people will be a lot more careful. I trust WeAreND and others that it is above board what the judge did, which is a surprise to me and Iím sure many others who arenít lawyers.
    It happened before now. If you've watched the news, etc, you probably have heard that the major law firms in Washington D.C. are refusing to take Trump on as a client. There is a very good reason for that.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Have I said a < bleep > thing about Trump?

What I have said:

How in the world is Sean Hannity drug into an investigation of Cohen representing an RNC < bleep >?

Hannity's name was swept up in Cohen's files as another client.

Something about that just feels wrong.
    What exactly is Cohen being hired for is the question? There's scant evidence of him doing any actual legal work, and more of him arranging payoffs between his clients and sex partners outside of their marriages that they want to keep hidden. If Cohen is doing the same thing for Hannity, yet making it look like his doing all of this out of pocket (recall, that's his official story for the Stormy Daniels payoff which is patently absurd) how exactly is he being compensated? Who's actually paying him, or does he just hand out millions of dollars from his own personal funds willy-nilly? Is Hannity a co-conspirator in all this? Don't know, but lets find out.

What I find to be super interesting is why Hannity is trying to hide this. The dude has no ethics so I doubt he's worried about that. If he really is only asking Cohen for advice on small matters, why not just disclose that and be done with it? What's up with all the secrecy? Maybe he has a good reason but he needs to tell the court that.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Delete this thread

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Delete this thread
    ?

Thread Information