Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 1001

Thread: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

  1. #661
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,705

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not even talking about the raid. I was addressing issues relating to the public disclosure of a client's name, I think in open court, and whether that should be protected by attorney/client privilege.
    Again, Hannity was not a client of attorney Cohen- as he admits.

  2. #662
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,509

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not even talking about the raid. I was addressing issues relating to the public disclosure of a client's name, I think in open court, and whether that should be protected by attorney/client privilege.
    Not really sure why you and Sicatoka are flipping out over Hannity. If the steps were illegal, I'm sure a ton of bricks will be landing on those responsible.

    Besides Hannity has been guilty of this kind of behavior himself for decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Hannity has clearly stated that Cohen was not hired as a lawyer. So the idea of client privilege don't exactly apply-

    Here's what he said-


    Probably hired as a fixer, which I doubt has any protections. Read Hannity's tweets.
    100%. That was very specific verbage. He used him alright and there is probably no client privilege issue as a result of Hannity's approach necessitated by trying to cover his tracks.
    Go Gophers!

  3. #663
    Ozuye Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,935

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    So Cohen was Hannity's bag man.
    And Hannity is dumb enough to admit it.


    That said, it is better or worse that Hannity's name as (whatdayacallit?) a friend, not a client, of Cohen is released?
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  4. #664
    Ozuye Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    13,935

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Cause heaven knows, Hannity has never used "guilt by association" himself.
    Subtle, but very finite, difference between a talking head doing that and a prosecutor with the power to convict and jail.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  5. #665
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    2,067

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    You use the the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham, and Wynne* for your real estate transactions, your will, your power of attorney documents.
    HDCW comes under investigation for criminality regarding covering up sexual misconduct of clients.
    Your name is released as an HDCW client by the investigators.
    That's not dangerous ground?



    *Not to be confused with Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
    Every single association we have, action we take or face we present to the public can be misconstrued. That's the risks of interacting with the rest of society. If I see someone wearing a Red Sox cap or Celtics gear I may misconstrue them as an insufferable jerk, because they all are. Then I remember one of my favorite uncles was from New England and a big BoSox and Celts fan.

  6. #666

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,343

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    If I see someone wearing a Red Sox cap or Celtics gear I may misconstrue them as an insufferable jerk
    "Misconstrue"?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  7. #667
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,647

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Hannity has clearly stated that Cohen was not hired as a lawyer. So the idea of client privilege don't exactly apply-

    Here's what he said-


    Probably hired as a fixer, which I doubt has any protections. Read Hannity's tweets.
    If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

    However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

    Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

    If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  8. #668
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    20,873

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    You use the the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham, and Wynne* for your real estate transactions, your will, your power of attorney documents.
    HDCW comes under investigation for criminality regarding covering up sexual misconduct of clients.
    Your name is released as an HDCW client by the investigators.
    That's not dangerous ground?



    *Not to be confused with Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
    why should anyone care if it's revealed who their lawyer is?

    especially if they're not doing anything wrong.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  9. #669
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    2,067

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    why should anyone care if it's revealed who their lawyer is?

    especially if they're not doing anything wrong.
    This probably happens more frequently than Sic even realizes anyway. He's only concerned because a well known and upstanding conservative like Hannity is having his good name drug through the swamp. I'm sure he was just as up in arms when Clinton faced all that unfortunate legal scrutiny, even though the authorities concluded she committed absolutely no offenses that could be prosecuted.

    All kidding aside, I can see why the notion may cause some discomfort for someone, even if they've done nothing wrong and retained some particular attorney's services for absolutely legal and ethical reasons. But in about 90 minutes I am going to hit the interstate for my drive home, and somebody may rear end my car. I guess if I want to suffer no possible disruptions in my life I need to buy a lot of canned goods, a good can opener and go find a remote cave where I can live out the rest of my life.

    Sic's problem is he picks and chooses who to be sympathetic towards based on the political affiliation first and foremost. Sort of like how all those ammosexuals revere the 2nd amendment to the point of multiple orgasms, but seem to take no particular interest in most of the rest of the constitution. Except maybe for pining for the days when black people only counted for 3/5ths.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 04-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.

  10. #670
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,835

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    When you associate with people like trump, who files for bankruptcy for sport, is famous for not paying those he owes, and is notorious for being a liar and a sleazeball, you canít be too shocked when all of a sudden your name is suddenly being mentioned in questionable contexts

  11. #671
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    2,067

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    When you associate with people like trump, who files for bankruptcy for sport, is famous for not paying those he owes, and is notorious for being a liar and a sleazeball, you canít be too shocked when all of a sudden your name is suddenly being mentioned in questionable contexts
    My mom used to say to us as a warning all the time "... the company that you keep."

  12. #672
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,705

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

    However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

    Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

    If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
    Dude, go read Hannity's tweets. He clearly didn't hire him as a lawyer nor for legal-ish things. No idea what it was, but it was not being a lawyer in any shape.

    You can keep making up some kind of excuse, but Hannity clearly admits that it's not that.

  13. #673
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,647
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Dude, go read Hannity's tweets. He clearly didn't hire him as a lawyer nor for legal-ish things. No idea what it was, but it was not being a lawyer in any shape.

    You can keep making up some kind of excuse, but Hannity clearly admits that it's not that.
    I get my daily quota of gibberish here. I donít need to read that dip*****s tweets.

  14. #674
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,705

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I get my daily quota of gibberish here. I don’t need to read that dip*****s tweets.
    Then accept the fact that Hannity is dumb enough to admit that there's no attorney-client privilege. If he kept quiet, the conspiracy crowd would have had something to hang their smelly feces on, but he just swallowed it.

  15. #675
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,802
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    So investigating a lawyer now allows for naming every single client that lawyer has represented?

    "We think Perry Mason defrauded Joe Schmoe and the city on a jay-walking case he respresented on. Let's get all of Mason's client files and find out everything about the rest of Mason's clients. Who knows ... some other names and clients and cases may 'leak' out."

    Something about that comes off as very wrong.


    Who here's been divorced* and had the settlement sealed? Would you want those documents swept up in what you thought were privileged attorney/client files and released in such a manner?


    *Nope.
    I think it's funny that your average Republican is more indignant about this than the average attorney.

  16. #676
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    37,339

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    So Cohen was Hannity's bag man.
    And Hannity is dumb enough to admit it.


    That said, it is better or worse that Hannity's name as (whatdayacallit?) a friend, not a client, of Cohen is released?
    Why does it matter if someone who isnt a client has his name released? There is no privilege there. Seriously your Flaggy Wannabe Act is pretty awful.

    BTW my guess is Hannity covered up something similar to what O'Reilly covered up...which lets just say the Evangelicals would not be pleased with.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  17. #677
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    37,339

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

    However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

    Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

    If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
    In this case though Hannity is flat out saying he was not hired in a legal capacity and wasnt paid as such. Unless he changes his tune it doesnt matter how you slice it there is no privilege.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  18. #678
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,509

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Subtle, but very finite, difference between a talking head doing that and a prosecutor with the power to convict and jail.
    Yeah. And a prosecutor goes to jail if he does "guilt by association" under the wrong circumstances. Some talking heads do largely the same for a living. From a karma standpoint, this isn't even half of what Hannity deserves.
    Go Gophers!

  19. #679
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,438

    Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    In this case though Hannity is flat out saying he was not hired in a legal capacity and wasnt paid as such. Unless he changes his tune it doesnt matter how you slice it there is no privilege.
    Agreed.

    https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/...mit/dollar.gif

    Edit: full context of the scene: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15nfmd
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #680

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,885
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I think it's funny that your average Republican is more indignant about this than the average attorney.
    This. This times a million.

    If there was something to hang their hat on regarding attorney-client privilege, the ACLU would be first in line.


    In MLB terms, after consulting the replay, the runner [Cohen] is determined to be out on the play. The offending team yells from the dugout but continues to play the game [GOP]. And the drunks in the bleachers [Deplorables] are still b*tching about the play three innings later.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •