• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    So Cohen was Hannity's bag man.
    And Hannity is dumb enough to admit it.

That said, it is better or worse that Hannity's name as (whatdayacallit?) a friend, not a client, of Cohen is released?
    Why does it matter if someone who isnt a client has his name released? There is no privilege there. Seriously your Flaggy Wannabe Act is pretty awful.

BTW my guess is Hannity covered up something similar to what O'Reilly covered up...which lets just say the Evangelicals would not be pleased with.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
      In this case though Hannity is flat out saying he was not hired in a legal capacity and wasnt paid as such. Unless he changes his tune it doesnt matter how you slice it there is no privilege.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Subtle, but very finite, difference between a talking head doing that and a prosecutor with the power to convict and jail.
        Yeah. And a prosecutor goes to jail if he does "guilt by association" under the wrong circumstances. Some talking heads do largely the same for a living. From a karma standpoint, this isn't even half of what Hannity deserves.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          In this case though Hannity is flat out saying he was not hired in a legal capacity and wasnt paid as such. Unless he changes his tune it doesnt matter how you slice it there is no privilege.
          Agreed.

https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/...mit/dollar.gif

Edit: full context of the scene: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15nfmd
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I think it's funny that your average Republican is more indignant about this than the average attorney.
            This. This times a million.

If there was something to hang their hat on regarding attorney-client privilege, the ACLU would be first in line.

In MLB terms, after consulting the replay, the runner [Cohen] is determined to be out on the play. The offending team yells from the dugout but continues to play the game [GOP]. And the drunks in the bleachers [Deplorables] are still b*tching about the play three innings later.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              BTW my guess is Hannity covered up something similar to what O'Reilly covered up...which lets just say the Evangelicals would not be pleased with.
              The evangelicals don’t care because they’re hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                The evangelicals don’t care because they’re hypocrites.
                "As witnesses not of our intentions but of our conduct, we can be true or false, and the hypocrite's crime is that he bears false witness against himself. What makes it so plausible to assume that hypocrisy is the vice of vices is that integrity can indeed exist under the cover of all other vices except this one. Only crime and the criminal, it is true, confront us with the perplexity of radical evil; but only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core." -- Hannah Arendt
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So investigating a lawyer now allows for naming every single client that lawyer has represented?
                  Law Professor was on Morning Joe this morning. He disagrees with it but that is IN FACT the law. The fact that you hired and lawyer and who that lawyer is is not privileged. Sorry.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    That's not exactly what he said. In typical Hannity fashion he seems to want it both ways.

He claims he never hired him "in the traditional sense" nor did he pay him anything nor was he invoiced by Cohen. However, he goes on to state that he consulted with Cohen from time to time on "legal" issues, and he expected those conversations were covered by the attorney client privilege. That, I think, creates issues for the lawyer that he has to respect in terms of attorney client privilege. I don't think the lawyer can say "well, he didn't pay me" and go ahead and disclose the confidence.

Here is the link. https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ink-sot-nr.cnn
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Law Professor was on Morning Joe this morning. He disagrees with it but that is IN FACT the law. The fact that you hired and lawyer and who that lawyer is is not privileged. Sorry.
                      It will be interesting to see what sort of changes this brings about in the industry. I wonder if you could hire a lawyer through an LLC or something like that.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If I hire you and you are a lawyer, doesn't that mean I've hired you as my lawyer unless we have a specific contract that says, say, "I hire you to replant my petunias"?
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...00/215/231196/

As I posted yesterday, there are exceptions to the rule.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            It will be interesting to see what sort of changes this brings about in the industry. I wonder if you could hire a lawyer through an LLC or something like that.
                            Why would it have to change? In a court, you pretty much have to declare that you represent your client, so that all goes through you first.

The point of being a lawyer is to represent your client- so in all legal matters, you HAVE to declare that. It can't be hidden.

There are very few courts in this government that are outside of the public info domain.

Not sure how this gets so twisted up, even.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              If I hire you and you are a lawyer, doesn't that mean I've hired you as my lawyer unless we have a specific contract that says, say, "I hire you to replant my petunias"?
                              If I were the lawyer, that's what I would assume.

I really wonder what would have happened if Cohen had simply gone on Maddow's show and started blabbing about what he and Hannity spoke about. My guess is that he would be roasted right now, by pretty much everyone, for violating attorney client privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...00/215/231196/

As I posted yesterday, there are exceptions to the rule.
                                Heard that too. The Law Professor said the judge in this case (this lasted 30 minutes) probed whether an exception was met. It was not.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X