• Show
Clear All

Re: ***UND 2018 Off Season Thread***

Dean Blais being honored for his work with USA hockey
    https://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/922950
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

UND incoming freshman defenseman Jonny Tychonick has been a hit with the media at this week's NHL Combine in Buffalo, N.Y.
      http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...it-nhl-combine
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Huber no longer coming to UND this fall for family reasons.
        http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...ge-next-season
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Pardon the interruption...Please accept this olive branch from a Badger

The BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI is liquidating some of the various artifacts they have acquired through the years. One of the items is a lot of random items including a North Dakota jersey signed by the team.

I would guess this is from 1997 when North Dakota appeared in the Frozen Four at the BC.

Take a look and see if this is something you might want to add to your collection.

As an added bonus in this lot, you also get a WWF Raw t-shirt with a ton of autographs!

LINK

Comment

Great story on TJ and the A
            http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...e-got-his-back
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Put a lump in my throat
              http://bleacherreport.com/post/nhl/4...9-549e5618e6de
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

As a long time DU fan, it is not often I say nice things about the Fighting Sioux now Hawks. But watching TJ Oshie in the Stanley Cup Finals made me proud for the Good Old Days of the WCHA. Gwozdecky's "DasherDance", the elevator incident, lawn mower throwing, bad blood between CC>DU>UND>UM>UW--all the fun stuff.

TJ played with grit and skill. My favorite Caps player by far. Had to cheer for him even though I favored Vegas. His post game interview will not be forgotten. This was a very special day for TJ with his family and the Cup all together. I sincerely hope his father will have memory of TJ and the Stanley Cup for many years to come.
                Last edited by vizoroo; 06-08-2018, 05:04 PM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  As a long time DU fan, it is not often I say nice things about the Fighting Sioux now Hawks. But watching TJ Oshie in the Stanley Cup Finals made me proud for the Good Old Days of the WCHA. Gwozdecky's "DasherDance", the elevator incident, lawn mower throwing, bad blood between CC>DU>UND>UM>UW--all the fun stuff.

TJ played with grit and skill. My favorite Caps player by far. Had to cheer for him even though I favored Vegas. His post game interview will not be forgotten. This was a very special day for TJ with his family and the Cup all together. I sincerely hope his father will have memory of TJ and the Stanley Cup for many years to come.
                  Excellent post sir. Well done
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Six of the last seven Stanley Cup champions have featured a North Dakota alum, as TJ Oshie becomes the 12th UND alum to win the Cup (17 times) … his 21 points in 24 playoff games ranked fourth on the team, while he shared the team lead with six power-play goals. Shane Gersich also a Sioux alum became the 100th player to join the NHL & came to the team after finishing his junior year at UND and signed with the Washington Capitals after UND fell out of the playoffs.
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                      Six of the last seven Stanley Cup champions have featured a North Dakota alum, as TJ Oshie becomes the 12th UND alum to win the Cup (17 times) … his 21 points in 24 playoff games ranked fourth on the team, while he shared the team lead with six power-play goals. Shane Gersich also a Sioux alum became the 100th player to join the NHL & came to the team after finishing his junior year at UND and signed with the Washington Capitals after UND fell out of the playoffs.
                      Good stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post

The old WCHA was the perfect conference for a guy with TJ's combination of skill and physical play. The rivalries were great--I'm just greatful we've been able carry some of the better ones over to the NCHC, DU foremost among them.

Comment

Oshie Oshie Oshie!!!
                          https://www.facebook.com/capaholics/...9151328314391/
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Another Bast coming to UND
                            http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...st-commits-und
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Happy offseason, boys.

Mrs. MCR and I are heading up for the Nov. 2 - 3 weekend. There's a good possibility of a bus trip with WI Hockey Backers.
                              If not, we'll drive up. I could get some info here in Madison but in YOUR opinions, where should we stay, hang out, eat?

This will be my virgin trip to "The Ralph" even though I made a few trips to the old Winter Sports Center in the good ol' days.

I'm looking forward to my return, I just hope my warrants have expired.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Happy offseason, boys.

Mrs. MCR and I are heading up for the Nov. 2 - 3 weekend. There's a good possibility of a bus trip with WI Hockey Backers.
                                If not, we'll drive up. I could get some info here in Madison but in YOUR opinions, where should we stay, hang out, eat?

This will be my virgin trip to "The Ralph" even though I made a few trips to the old Winter Sports Center in the good ol' days.

I'm looking forward to my return, I just hope my warrants have expired.
                                As for where to stay, there isn't a great option that's close to either the Ralph and the eating/drinking establishments. You're in luck that the football team is out of town that weekend which means that the hotels near the football stadium, as well as elsewhere around town, won't have that additional demand. A trip advisor or other hotel search will give you a pretty accurate picture of what the hotels are like compared to the asking price.

As for eating or drinking, I'm sure everyone will suggest the Red Pepper, since that's just what UND and Grand Forks people do when asked about dining options. I have no problem with that suggestion, but would encourage you to consider it as maybe a bar closing option or "third meal" as opposed to just deciding to eat dinner there. Part of the "charm," if you want to call it that, is the large, intoxicated college crowd that you see starting at about 10 pm on the weekends. I suggest the University Avenue location (the original) rather than the one on 42nd.

Personally I enjoy the Rhombus Guys pizza downtown. They also have a separate brew pub/restaurant around the corner from the pizza place. I think both are good.

If you want to see 1970's Grand Forks, which isn't necessarily pretty, but can be entertaining, you can always go to the El Roco lounge. You'll even be able to play a little black jack there.

Judy's Tavern is also the place of local lore for hockey players at UND, although I think I heard it was sold so I'm not sure what it's like since that transaction.

Have fun.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X