Players to participate in NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players to participate in NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season

So, an interesting question came up in a discussion amongst a group I participate in on Facebook. Has there been any players prior to this year who participated in the NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season? Obviously we know Ryan Donato did it first this year, followed by Troy Terry and Jordan Greenway.

It'd have to be prior to 1998, when the NHL began sending their guys. My first possibility was 1980, but they played with the International team only leading up to Olympics. Paul Kariya didn't play with Anaheim until the following season.

Anybody have any idea if it's been done before?
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 03-29-2018, 08:18 PM.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    So, an interesting question came up in a discussion amongst a group I participate in on Facebook. Has there been any players prior to this year who participated in the NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season? Obviously we know Ryan Donato did it first this year, followed by Troy Terry and Jordan Greenway.

It'd have to be prior to 1998, when the NHL began sending their guys. My first possibility was 1980, but they played with the International team only leading up to Olympics. Paul Kariya didn't play with Anaheim until the following season.

Anybody have any idea if it's been done before?
    Same thing with PC’s Therienn...
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      Bowling Green's Ken Morrow was close. He played at BG in 1979 and the olympics in 1980. After the olympics he signed and played with the Islanders winning the first of 4 Stanleu Cups.

Comment

Re: Players to participate in NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5366

Doesn't appear to be in the same season.

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
        Bowling Green's Ken Morrow was close. He played at BG in 1979 and the olympics in 1980. After the olympics he signed and played with the Islanders winning the first of 4 Stanleu Cups.
        Ya, there would have been numerous guys from the '80 team, had they not played together as the Olympic team leading up to the games.

Further looking seems to show the same for the '84 and '88 teams as well.

Comment

https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-...t-ryan-donato/

According to this article, it appears Ryan Donato was the first to do so. Be sure to thank me if you ever win Jeopardy with this information.

Comment

Ya, there would have been numerous guys from the '80 team, had they not played together as the Olympic team leading up to the games.

Up until the NHL started participating in the Olympics,I believe Morrow was the only player to win both a gold medal, and the Stanley Cup in the same season.

Comment

Playing in all 3 in the same season kind of sounds interesting, but it would require the Olympic team to be assembled late, or for the player to be brought in late, and then for the players college team not to be a winner, in order to have time to go play for their NHL team as well. Would probably be a wild and crazy and maybe fun year for the player, but doesn't seem possible for there to be much winning going on? Maybe the NHL team might go on to win the SC, but rarely do Olympic teams that are assembled late go on to win Gold.

Far more interesting to me, is has anyone WON an NCAA title, an Olympic Gold Medal, and an NHL Stanley Cup Title?

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                Up until the NHL started participating in the Olympics,I believe Morrow was the only player to win both a gold medal, and the Stanley Cup in the same season.
                Morrow was the first, but there have been a couple others since then. I know for sure Jonathan Toews, Brent Seabrook, and Duncan Keith from the Blackhawks in 2010 (only because I lived in Chicago during that time).

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  Morrow was the first, but there have been a couple others since then. I know for sure Jonathan Toews, Brent Seabrook, and Duncan Keith from the Blackhawks in 2010 (only because I lived in Chicago during that time).
                  Hence the reason I said "up until the NHL started participating.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                    Playing in all 3 in the same season kind of sounds interesting, but it would require the Olympic team to be assembled late, or for the player to be brought in late, and then for the players college team not to be a winner, in order to have time to go play for their NHL team as well. Would probably be a wild and crazy and maybe fun year for the player, but doesn't seem possible for there to be much winning going on? Maybe the NHL team might go on to win the SC, but rarely do Olympic teams that are assembled late go on to win Gold.

Far more interesting to me, is has anyone WON an NCAA title, an Olympic Gold Medal, and an NHL Stanley Cup Title?
                    sure, an easy one

Broten is one of a few players to have played on teams that won the NCAA hockey championship (University of Minnesota in 1979), the Olympic Gold Medal (Team USA, 1980), and the Stanley Cup (New Jersey Devils, 1995). He is the only player to have won the Hobey Baker, the Olympic Gold Medal and the Stanley Cup.

unless you mean in the same year?
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5366

Doesn't appear to be in the same season.

I was referring to Kariya!
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                        Correct. The next ones to do it were Yzerman and Shanahan in 2002, well after NHLers started playing in the Olympics.
                        Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

Google is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Broten
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

we all know ken morrow went from winning a gold medal, straight to winning four stanley cups.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              UMICH, DUH!!! Are you that naïve that you don't understood I knew EXACTLY who the answer to my question was?

Comment

Working...
                              X