Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Players to participate in NCAA/Olympics/NHL in the same season

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    My first possibility was 1980, but they played with the International team only leading up to Olympics.
    I sure wish they would go back to forming the team in the fall and playing an exhibition/international schedule leading up to the olympics. I don't like having NHL players in the olympics, but they should be able to take a leave of absence from their NHL contracts to play on the olympic team all year if they choose to do so. It would be fun to follow the olympic teams for a couple months leading up the the Olympic tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      I sure wish they would go back to forming the team in the fall and playing an exhibition/international schedule leading up to the olympics. I don't like having NHL players in the olympics, but they should be able to take a leave of absence from their NHL contracts to play on the olympic team all year if they choose to do so. It would be fun to follow the olympic teams for a couple months leading up the the Olympic tournament.
      yes, but the thing that sucked was that if you were a fan of a team that actually had Americans on it, every 4 years you would lose your best players, while some of your rivals didn't. a team like Denver never had to worry, while a team like Minnesota or one of the Bostons would be stripped.

that said, I liked the days of amateurs way more than the NHL, and the teams that played a while together had an identity.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        yes, but the thing that sucked was that if you were a fan of a team that actually had Americans on it, every 4 years you would lose your best players, while some of your rivals didn't. a team like Denver never had to worry, while a team like Minnesota or one of the Bostons would be stripped.

that said, I liked the days of amateurs way more than the NHL, and the teams that played a while together had an identity.
        But losing them for one year was not as bad as underclassmen leaving to sign a pro contract. Blue chip players are always a flight risk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          But losing them for one year was not as bad as underclassmen leaving to sign a pro contract. Blue chip players are always a flight risk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          but the pro contract hits everyone with good players, the Olympic years only hit some teams. and, almost none of the players came back.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            but the pro contract hits everyone with good players, the Olympic years only hit some teams. and, almost none of the players came back.
            Yeah, but it hits some FAR MORE than others. An example of this is that there are as Many former Gophers in the NHL right now, as there are former players from all of the other 4 Minnesota based schools COMBINED. UMn has 25, SCSU, UMD, BSU & Mankato combined have 25. And apparently the former Gophers are much better, too, as the 20 former Gophers who have scored have scored well over DOUBLE what the 20 former players from those other 4 have scored, and if you only look at players that left early, it might be as much as TRIPLE.

566 to 220. UMn's #s would only drop to 558 if you looked only at those who left school early. I doubt the other 4 schools can say the same.

So, just like how the Olympics hurts certain teams more than others, especially the Gophers and BC who stocked far more Americans than other schools did, the same can be seen with what the NHL is doing to college hockey blue bloods.

And hence why the Gophers have so many more players inducted in the US Hockey Hall of Fame than other programs as well. So we may not have been rewarded in the NCAA Tourney, but the U of Mn has been rewarded in other ways. And not only the US Hockey has recognized these great contributions to hockey in general, but having 3 former Gophers inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame while almost no other college can claim more than maybe 1, also shows other ways that UMn has been rewarded.

But yes, still frustrating for fans of college hockey that have to suffer so that the Olympic teams and the NHL can benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
              UMICH, DUH!!! Are you that naïve that you don't understood I knew EXACTLY who the answer to my question was?
              And his response came FOUR DAYS after that name was already posted in this very thread.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                Yeah, but it hits some FAR MORE than others. An example of this is that there are as Many former Gophers in the NHL right now, as there are former players from all of the other 4 Minnesota based schools COMBINED. UMn has 25, SCSU, UMD, BSU & Mankato combined have 25. And apparently the former Gophers are much better, too, as the 20 former Gophers who have scored have scored well over DOUBLE what the 20 former players from those other 4 have scored, and if you only look at players that left early, it might be as much as TRIPLE.

566 to 220. UMn's #s would only drop to 558 if you looked only at those who left school early. I doubt the other 4 schools can say the same.
                Too bad they couldn't score like that when they were at UMTC, eh? Maybe there would be more hardware in the Mooch.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                  Too bad they couldn't score like that when they were at UMTC, eh? Maybe there would be more hardware in the Mooch.

r
                  They were only Frosh, dude??? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
                    I'd say

3 in the Hockey Hall of Fame (any other school with more than 1?)

15 in the US Hockey Hall of Fame (any other school with more than 7?)

13 with GOLD medals (any other school with more than 4?)

19 with Silver medals (and other school with more than 7?)

well more than TWICE AS MANY Olympians than any other school (73 to what? 34 for Wisconsin? 27 for UND??)

55 NCAA wins, more than any other school. (Michigan, if they win the Title this year would tie UMN)

37 NCAA appearances, more than any other school other than Michigan.

I'd say UMn has PLENTY of hardware. And I haven't even mentioned women's hockey, lol.

Btw, UMn's grads have scored at least 573 points in the NHL this year. Any other school able to come even close to matching that???
                    Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 04-05-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X