Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Before its effect really started to slow him down. I don't know his post injury medical history (the drain tile thing), but he was hobbled, not just by the alcoholism.
    The drain tile was his rookie year, in the 1951 Series. He had 500+ PA's in each of the next 11 years. He was a shell of himself after 1964 (and by all rights, should have retired after 1966), and I suspect that was more of an effect of his lifestyle and the plate appearances.
    Last edited by Hammer; 04-02-2018, 10:32 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      The drain tile was his rookie year, in the 1951 Series. He had 500+ PA's in each of the next 11 years. He was a shell of himself after 1964 (and by all rights, should have retired after 1966), and I suspect that was more of an effect of his lifestyle and the plate appearances.
      Did he reinjure or reaggravate it during those 11 years?

Comment

Did he reinjure or reaggravate it during those 11 years?
        Don't know, seeing as he consistently had 500+ PAs every season until he was really nicked up in 1963. And at that point both he and Whitey Ford were both too pickled to worry about much of anything. Had he stayed anything even reasonably close to sober, Mantle probably pushes 3,000 hits and 600 homers.

Everybody had aches and pains back then, seeing as how the medical staffs weren't even in the same universe as what they have access to today, plus the fact that the DH was still a decade-plus away. You simply didn't have the long careers you saw later on. Remember, DiMaggio only played from 1936-1951, minus the war years.
        Last edited by Hammer; 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Don't know, seeing as he consistently had 500+ PAs every season until he was really nicked up in 1963. And at that point both he and Whitey Ford were both too pickled to worry about much of anything. Had he stayed anything even reasonably close to sober, Mantle probably pushes 3,000 hits and 600 homers.

Everybody had aches and pains back then, seeing as how the medical staffs weren't even in the same universe as what they have access to today, plus the fact that the DH was still a decade-plus away. You simply didn't have the long careers you saw later on. Remember, DiMaggio only played from 1936-1951, minus the war years.
          This is all very interesting, both as to his playing condition and to the way media treats its heroes. I knew the drain injury was early in his career, but I thought it changed him from extremely fast to just fast and that it affected his performance and contributed to shortening his career. But from what you are saying, that is pretty much a myth--that that outfield drain tile was a convenient cover for the harm caused by his failure to take care of himself (drinking). That might be common knowledge--just not mine.

In today's world, he would have been treated very differently, of course, and possibly have lost his job before he was physically unable to perform. He was an idol and a hero, despite his drunkenness, just like the man who became president during his later years was and idol and hero despite his philandering.

Comment

This is all very interesting, both as to his playing condition and to the way media treats its heroes. I knew the drain injury was early in his career, but I thought it changed him from extremely fast to just fast and that it affected his performance and contributed to shortening his career. But from what you are saying, that is pretty much a myth--that that outfield drain tile was a convenient cover for the harm caused by his failure to take care of himself (drinking). That might be common knowledge--just not mine.
            burd, I've read a lot about Mantle, and also thought the drain tile injury took him from extremely great to just pretty great. They said it really affected his speed, and his knee problems later could have been one result of it, and he was never the same. I also read one account that he was getting out of the way in deference to an aged DiMaggio who could no longer get to all the outfield flies, but needed his ego fed.

Comment

Favorite mantle’ism was after canesco did the 40/40 and got all the press. The mick said “well shlt if I knew it was gonna be such a big deal I would have done that every year”
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                burd, I've read a lot about Mantle, and also thought the drain tile injury took him from extremely great to just pretty great. They said it really affected his speed, and his knee problems later could have been one result of it, and he was never the same. I also read one account that he was getting out of the way in deference to an aged DiMaggio who could no longer get to all the outfield flies, but needed his ego fed.
                I was a little concerned I was taking your thread off course, jen.

Interesting that two of my boyhood heroes were heirs apparent to legends in Williams/Yaz and DiMaggio/Mantle. I understand the DiMaggio/Mantle relationship was not an easy one. I don't know about Williams/Yaz.

Comment

It’s been a while since I read Williams’ book, but I don’t recall reading about any bitterness on his part. Ted turned 42 in Yaz’s rookie year, so he knew he was just about done.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Favorite mantle’ism was after canesco did the 40/40 and got all the press. The mick said “well shlt if I knew it was gonna be such a big deal I would have done that every year”
                  I could very easily see Mickey saying that.
                  Last edited by Hammer; 04-03-2018, 10:19 AM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    DiMaggio and his ego could fill a book all on its own...
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      DiMaggio and his ego could fill a book all on its own...
                      When I was just a snot-nosed boy, my folks took me to his restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf in SF. He was alone at his table waiting for his food, and they took me up to him to say hello (great parents who were polite and respectful in every way, but we're all rural midwestern hicks). He was surprisingly gracious and signed a dinner napkin for me. I can't believe my folks did that, but I guess he expected it when he dined out in the open there.

I've heard stories, though.

Comment

MLB 1st yesterday. Brewers/Cardinals game started and ended with back to back homeruns.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Interesting. Both pitchers and both obviously very good, but very . . . what, styles?
                          After seeing subsequent posts I can't believe I didn't think of Kirby and perhaps even Carew. As for my picks....

My brother was a bat boy for the Twins and he always worked for the visiting team. This was incredible because I got to meet in addition to Twins players (who lets face it were not very good then but had the occasional star) but many more during my frequent visits to The Met. I met Nolan the week of July 4th, 1975 after he had recently thrown his (at the time) 4th no-no and he couldn't have been more polite, humble and gracious to a then 7 y.o. who had all kinds of questions for him in the clubhouse after the game He went from being someone I admired to, "NOLAN EFFING RYAN".

For El Toro even though I was always a Twins fan first I admired some of the rosters put together by teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers. I was a baseball nutbar (playing and watching) and as such since I was already familiar with Cey, Garvey, Yeager, Baker, Hough, Sutcliffe, etc., when Nando came onto the scene and exploded it helped pique my interest in him.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            MLB 1st yesterday. Brewers/Cardinals game started and ended with back to back homeruns.
                            And it was 1 pitch away from being the first two pitches of the game and the last two pitches.

Comment

Hmmm. How many other teams move to FB?Does this also affect MLB.TV?

@thehazelmae: To clarify, #MLB has sold exclusive broadcast rights to a number of weekday afternoon games to Facebook. The April 18 and May 24 games are now no longer available to Sportsnet to broadcast. You can still follow the #BlueJays along the #Sportsnet Radio Network.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Hmmm. How many other teams move to FB?Does this also affect MLB.TV?

@thehazelmae: To clarify, #MLB has sold exclusive broadcast rights to a number of weekday afternoon games to Facebook. The April 18 and May 24 games are now no longer available to Sportsnet to broadcast. You can still follow the #BlueJays along the #Sportsnet Radio Network.
                                I'd imagine much like the Saturday afternoon FOX national game, you'd be blacked out until up to 90 minutes after the game.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X