Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Has it always been a rule in MLB that if you bunt foul with 2 strikes you're out?
    Yep...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Isn't that the rule in all baseball? That's the way we played in little league.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Has it always been a rule in MLB that if you bunt foul with 2 strikes you're out?
        Good question. As far back as the 20s it was but I don't know about before that. I'm not sure when it was actually codified as a distinctive thing (other than say a check swing).

I also didn't know a bunt is an exception to the IF Fly Rule. I've not seen any team use that to their advantage.

My guess is that since it is a gamesmanship thing it probably dates from the 1880s-90s. That's when there was a real push to eliminate gamesmanship mostly because it was leading to serious violence on the field and in the stands. They tried to make it a "Gentlemanly Pastime." Balks were introduced then (and the color line enforced).
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-13-2018, 02:30 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          yes. Just wondering how old the rule is. Seems forever to me, but I got to wondering today what the exact rationale was. Guess I should do a little research on my own for once.

Comment

yes. Just wondering how old the rule is. Seems forever to me, but I got to wondering today what the exact rationale was. Guess I should do a little research on my own for once.
            The rationale was a player could just keep fouling strikes until he was walked.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              And apparently there was no written rule as of 1904.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Yes, that makes complete sense, given how much easier it is to foul off a bunt. A little different now, though with more pitchers bringing it at high 90s to 100 plus. High and tight. No fun bunting that stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Never knew baseball existed without the rule.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

What they all said. In softball, if it's a foul ball (bunting is prohibited) on a 2-1 count, you're out. So they adjusted for the short count.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      What they all said. In softball, if it's a foul ball (bunting is prohibited) on a 2-1 count, you're out. So they adjusted for the short count.
                      You're starting at 1-1? Also, don't you get one free foul at 2-1?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You're starting at 1-1? Also, don't you get one free foul at 2-1?
                        Instead of 4-3, you get 3-2, foul on 3rd strike is an out. Maybe church leagues or something get a free foul, but not in registered leagues. Given the offense of softball, an accelerated count makes sense.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          My bad. Didn't get the context. Thought the rule was some sort of new revelation to you.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Cubs were down 10-2 to the Braves, and came back to win.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              Cubs were down 10-2 to the Braves, and came back to win.
                              Many years ago the Cubs had a 9 run bottom of the 9th inning to win a game.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Jackie Robinson Day!
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X