Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Also that last sentence is kind of laughable. This isn’t a criminal court.
    Yeah, but...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      The point is to punish the team. Not just the player. Jamming up a roster spot for half the year is kind of a big deal until September.
      I don't get your last sentence. They can replace a suspended player.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The question was "what's healthy enough to play?"

As for this, I don't see the big deal about allowing him to serve them concurrently. He's still f-cked. The idea of the punishment is deterrence. I don't think other athletes will think, "well, if I ever get a suspension I'll also break a bone. That'll get over on them!"
        They'll make up the definition to suit them...

You don't have to put someone on the DL. That's just a means to help the team out, so they can replace the player on the roster, but there's no rule that says you have to put a player on the DL no matter how hurt he is. So, if a guy gets suspended and gets hurt at the same time, they will simply not put him on the DL (perfectly legal), and then start his suspension. That's why this whole discussion is silly.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          They'll make up the definition to suit them...

You don't have to put someone on the DL. That's just a means to help the team out, so they can replace the player on the roster, but there's no rule that says you have to put a player on the DL no matter how hurt he is. So, if a guy gets suspended and gets hurt at the same time, they will simply not put him on the DL (perfectly legal), and then start his suspension. That's why this whole discussion is silly.
          But that doesn't make any sense, because it would burn that roster slot for the length of his injury. The worst outcome for the team is getting shorted that bench depth. Or am I missing something obvious?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            But that doesn't make any sense, because it would burn that roster slot for the length of his injury. The worst outcome for the team is getting shorted that bench depth. Or am I missing something obvious?
            Either you or I are... :-)

If a player gets hurt and he gets suspended at the same time, the team won't put him on the DL. They will simply have him suspended. They can replace a suspended player right?

So, if a player's suspension wasn't going to start until he is no longer hurt (as some are proposing), the team can simply say he isn't hurt and we are not putting him on the DL. Then, they put him on the suspended list. Ergo, the idea of forcing a player to start his suspension until he is "healthy" enough to play makes no sense. The team can simply say he is healthy enough to play because we never put him on the DL.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Either you or I are... :-)

If a player gets hurt and he gets suspended at the same time, the team won't put him on the DL. They will simply have him suspended. They can replace a suspended player right?

So, if a player's suspension wasn't going to start until he is no longer hurt (as some are proposing), the team can simply say he isn't hurt and we are not putting him on the DL. Then, they put him on the suspended list. Ergo, the idea of forcing a player to start his suspension until he is "healthy" enough to play makes no sense. The team can simply say he is healthy enough to play because we never put him on the DL.
              OK, I'm tracking. I think your logic is correct. I also see no problem with a team doing that. The penalty is the penalty, it has nothing to do with whether the player is "lucky" enough to have gotten injured. It's like Colonel Flag rushing the Korean soldier into surgery to get him healthy enough to be executed.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We arent proposing. Thats the rule in any case where the injury happens before the ped case is finalized.

We are questioning why its not in all cases.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

This whole thing has me wondering. What happens to a prisoner who lapses into a coma? Do they stop the clock on his sentence until he recovers consciousness in order to squeeze every ounce of punishment out of it?
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    This whole thing has me wondering. What happens to a prisoner who lapses into a coma? Do they stop the clock on his sentence until he recovers consciousness in order to squeeze every ounce of punishment out of it?
                    If he's Irish and you're British - shoot him.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      We arent proposing. Thats the rule in any case where the injury happens before the ped case is finalized.

We are questioning why its not in all cases.
                      Now, I'm confused.

Once the suspension comes down from the MLB offices, the suspension begins. It doesn't matter whether the player is injured or not, on the DL or not. It doesn't matter whether the player was injured or not at the time he failed the drug test. The suspension begins right when MLB hands it out. It's the same in all the cases. So, I don't understand what you are questioning.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Now, I'm confused.

Once the suspension comes down from the MLB offices, the suspension begins. It doesn't matter whether the player is injured or not, on the DL or not. It doesn't matter whether the player was injured or not at the time he failed the drug test. The suspension begins right when MLB hands it out. It's the same in all the cases. So, I don't understand what you are questioning.
                        Apparently that is not how it works. According to the press, there are 2 situations. One where they can run injuries at the same time as the suspension, and one where they cant.

Also the players are notified sometimes months before an actual suspension for ped. There is an investigation and appeals process before the public ever hears about it.

ETA. Wiki is useless, but it seems like if the player is already assigned to the DL, they can be at the same time. Looking for better descriptions.
                        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-16-2018, 03:58 PM.
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Maybe the NY Post is drunk, as they are the only mention i saw of it so far. Although I'd imagine because of the appeals process, a player like Cano could drop his appeal immediately after breaking his hand.

He notified the league he wanted to drop his appeal Friday and try for a negotiated settlement, then broke his hand Monday. Then was suspended Tuesday.
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            If he's Irish and you're British - shoot him.
                            Especially if he's unarmed.
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Verlander vs Ohtani. Sick with a capital S. Disgusting. Filthy. Ho Lee Sh*.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/artic...12680_26438759

Edit: that's not even the right video I'm referring to. Any on twitter, you'll see.
                              Last edited by The Rube; 05-16-2018, 11:46 PM.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Found it. Hide the women and children.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...tch/ar-AAxooHa
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X