This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Giants hitters strike out 55 times in a 4 game sweep by the Phillies.
    Launch Angle
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

So Ian Kinsler, with two outs, turned away from a ball that was inside, didn’t break his wrists, but the bat clearly crossed the plate. Next pitch, homer. Should he have been out?
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        So Ian Kinsler, with two outs, turned away from a ball that was inside, didn’t break his wrists, but the bat clearly crossed the plate. Next pitch, homer. Should he have been out?
        Crossed the plate? Strike. Crossing is one of TWO qualifications for a strike, as I understand the rules.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Crossed the plate? Strike. Crossing is one of TWO qualifications for a strike, as I understand the rules.
          Agreed. It’s not a reviewable play, and they checked with the base ump and he said he didn’t go, but it sure as heck looked like it on the replays.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

The rule on batters swinging at a pitch or holding up has nothing to do with the bat crossing the plate, or the wrists breaking. Although umps do tend to use those criteria to help decide.

It's was the batters "intent" to swing and hit a pitch. Completely subjective and really impossible for a fan or broadcaster to predict.

I wish they would clear that rule up. Instead they are working on pitch clocks and robots.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              The rule on batters swinging at a pitch or holding up has nothing to do with the bat crossing the plate, or the wrists breaking. Although umps do tend to use those criteria to help decide.

It's was the batters "intent" to swing and hit a pitch.
              I had no idea of this. Been watching baseball for 48 seasons and I thought "breaking the plane of the front of the plate" was the actual rule.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A's bats finally wake up and beat the Yankees 10-5. And Graveman didn't suck. Good day for Oakland.
                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I had no idea of this. Been watching baseball for 48 seasons and I thought "breaking the plane of the front of the plate" was the actual rule.
                  Neither did I.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

From Nick Cafardo's Baseball Notes in today's Globe
                    From the Bill Chuck files — “The Nationals have struck out six times this season on foul bunts.” . . . Also, “In 1993, the world champion Blue Jays struck out 10-plus times in a game 11 times. This season, the Blue Jays already have twelve games with 10-plus strikeouts. Then again, in 1993 there were 380 10-plus strikeout games, and this season there are already 424 games in which a team whiffed 10-plus times.”
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      And yet, the avg runs a team scores this year are 4.48, while in 1993 it was 4.6. Apparently striking out doesn't really change how much you score if your HR per game avg goes from .89 to 1.15.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You don't have to like the all-or-nothing approach, but the numbers don't lie that it works.

Comment

When you think about it, it makes sense. Lose 1/27th of your outs for a chance at a run.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Wonder if The Boss approves??

https://wtpsports.com/2018/05/14/yan...mpression=true
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              IINM Springsteen is a Phillies fan.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Well... not really. We only achieved the runner in scoring position by batting out of order. Remember, the transposition NCFB --> NFCB causes us to bat out of order three times. First when Flores batted after Nimmo (should have been Cabrera). Second when Cabrera batted after Flores (should have been Bruce). Third when Bruce batted after Cabrera (should have been Flores). Bruce is called out for batting out of order. Bruce's PA (taken by Cabrera) is erased. So we never had a man in scoring position under any circumstances.

Let's say Flores had gotten a hit. Then when Cabrera had approached the plate Cincy would have protested. Cabrera would have been called out for batting after Nimmo. Cabrera's actual PA, taken by Flores, would have been erased. Bruce would have come up with two outs. Interestingly, in that situation Bruce is OK to bat because he is considered to be batting after "the legitimate batter" Flores who is considered never to have batted because Cabrera stole his spot. This despite the fact that Flores actually did something and Cabrera did nothing.

I like the rule and I'm pretty sure it makes sense, it's just really difficult at first.
                                < hand in the air >
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X