Things to do in MSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in MSP

I've never been to Minnesota and I was wondering if any of the Gopher or other fans have suggestions of things to do in the non-hockey time next week. I see the Twins are in town but the weather is supposed to be crappy. I asked a friend in the MSP area and all he suggested was bars ... which we will visit, but I have to keep a woman happy all weekend.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Re: Things to do in MSP

You must have a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar (burger with the cheese on the inside of it). It's not the BEST version, but it's the original. You may get some others claiming another bar is the original. They are wrong.

Check out the Diners/Drive-Ins/Dives website, they have the MN places listed.

Science Museum by the X.

A lot depends on if you have a car or not.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I would check out the Spoon n' Cherry at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. Highly recommend a walk on the Stone Arch Bridge over the Mississippi with great views of downtown. Minnehaha Falls Park is fun and good for a short hike.

Plenty of good breweries as well.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        You must have a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar (burger with the cheese on the inside of it). It's not the BEST version, but it's the original.
        It's the best version.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          It's the best version.
          Maybe now. Hubert's (now closed, from what I hear) had a deep fried, wrapped in bacon, on Texas Toast version. No WAY you can beat that.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Science museum is fairly good.

Skip the Jucy Lucy, imho. There are far better places to get food without breaking the bank. Look towards the North Loop area. Some of the best places to eat this side of Chicago. Red Cow, Butcher & the Boar, pig ate my pizza are some of my favorites. If you want higher end restaurants, I’m sure you could find them, but feel free to ask. Stay away from the chains. Best breakfast in the state might be at Hazel’s. Get there early on the weekends and have a backup plan.

The theater scene here is pretty good. I think we have the highest number of theaters per capita outside of NYC. Brave New Workshop is phenomenal and always hilarious. A favorite of mine.

If you’re looking for something you both might like, there’s always the como zoo conservatory. Gorgeous flowers and plants year round and inside.

The twin cities has a phenomenal brewing community. There are a few good distilleries now as well. Tons of great cocktail bars. Plenty of good ones along light rail. Easy Uber ride to the rest.

Uptown has some interesting and quirky places like Bryant Lake Bowl. Old school bowling if you’re into that kind of thing.

The problem with the Twin Cities is there isn’t a lot of touristy things here. A lot of what makes it great is the outdoors. Look at any travel site and they’ll push you to so many of the outdoor locations and activities. Very Minnesotan. I’ve always seen the cities as a better place to live than to travel.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-27-2018, 11:28 PM.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

One beef: Jucy Lucy is pure MN. Gotta have one. Just sayin'.

The rest of your post is good.

Comment

It’s a burger. Literally a burger.

It’s not pure Minnesota. It’s a Minnesota quirk that’s usually not worth going out of your way to find. It’s like an Irish bar in Boston. Or a hot dog vendor in Central Park. Or geno’s in philly. None of them are worth it as there are better places to get food and experience the city. Like just about anywhere in NYC, Dinics in Philly, and every not-Irish-Bar in Boston.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  It’s a burger. Literally a burger.

It’s not pure Minnesota. It’s a Minnesota quirk that’s usually not worth going out of your way to find. It’s like an Irish bar in Boston. Or a hot dog vendor in Central Park. Or geno’s in philly. None of them are worth it as there are better places to get food and experience the city. Like just about anywhere in NYC, Dinics in Philly, and every not-Irish-Bar in Boston.
                  Yeah, it's MN. Like having a Premo. Period.

Edit: you just admitted it's a MN quirk. THIS IS MN. THIS IS OUR THING. OUR QUIRK.

Comment

One beef: Jucy Lucy is pure MN. Gotta have one. Just sayin'.

The rest of your post is good.
                    I couldn't do it (cheese), but I enjoyed having a burger with chopped onions and the price at Matt's was very good.
                    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                    —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Yeah, it's MN. Like having a Premo. Period.

Edit: you just admitted it's a MN quirk. THIS IS MN. THIS IS OUR THING. OUR QUIRK.
                      No, our quirk is holding the door for people even though we effing hate doing it.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        No, our quirk is holding the door for people even though we effing hate doing it.
                        I enjoy it.
                        Code:

Comment

Figures.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

:-/
                            Code:

Comment

mookie played interlachen while up at a regional. if you can get a connection give it a go. the clubhouse is a neat historical tribute to donald ross too.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X