Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    That’s kind of an academic question.

If Penn State hadn’t formed their team, Notre Dame (and Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State) would probably still be the big dogs in the CCHA, and Wisconsin and Minnesota would have great rivalries in the WCHA.

When Penn State formed their team, that made six B1G teams, which meant, so we were told that (as Wisko says) they had to play in a B1G hockey conference. That started the mass realignment, many teams getting fugged in the process.

Not aiming at you directly Honeybuckeye, but I find the B1G totally disrupting the college hockey landscape, then questioning whether Notre Dame is “deserving” to be kind of like the cliché about the kid who kills his parents then whines about being an orphan.
    If they had left the existing WCHA & CCHA (sans the B1G) alone and put UAH in the CCHA, the landscape would be much better.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

It seems to me Notre Dame would be a natural fit for all their sports in the B1G.
      But besides wanting to maintain some autonomous control perhaps they're afraid their vaunted football program would not do well with the level of competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        It seems to me Notre Dame would be a natural fit for all their sports in the B1G.
        But besides wanting to maintain some autonomous control perhaps they're afraid their vaunted football program would not do well with the level of competition?
        I think it all comes down to money from football. I wonder how much more they get from their existing exclusive contract with NBC vs. what they would receive from BTN as just another Big Ten member. I suspect there's a substantial difference. How much I have no idea.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

In hockey they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I think it all comes down to money from football. I wonder how much more they get from their existing exclusive contract with NBC vs. what they would receive from BTN as just another Big Ten member. I suspect there's a substantial difference. How much I have no idea.
            That may well be. Since they are not a public funded school that info is not researchable to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Our "vaunted" football program has struggled with most competition for a generation now. The PARENTS of the guys who will be freshmen this fall probably didn't even know each other the last time Notre Dame could make a legitimate claim at being a championship caliber team. Like every single other school with revenue producing sports it is all about money and exposure. As soon as it is more financially beneficial to join the ACC for all sports, football independence will no longer seem so important to the powers that be at Notre Dame.

Whether or not Notre Dame belongs in the B1G or not or the fans embrace the moniker of being a B1G hockey team, I know I and most of our fans are quite happy to be competing again against the teams I have been watching them play against since the early 1970s (plus OSU of course, since the early 90s and a couple of years in the 80s). We are a lot like OSU in that a lot of our fans (and nearly all of our casual fans and a lot of alums) really follow Notre Dame FOOTBALL, and barely know that other sports are played by Notre Dame, even when they are highly successful.

Comment

That may well be. Since they are not a public funded school that info is not researchable to the best of my knowledge.
                You just have to know who to ask.

Comment

Of course, if Penn State had joined the Big East as they originally wanted this whole discussion would likely be moot and instead we could be discussing how the formation of the Big East Hockey Conference tore apart Hockey East.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Notre Dame is said to get around $15 million/year for their 7 home football games from the NBC contract, which runs through 2025. They also have a deal with the ACC to play five ACC football teams/year through 2037. Next year the ACC network will launch, which will likely substantially increase dollars for all member schools and Notre Dame, who is also contractually obligated to join ACC football if they give up football independence any time in the next 20 years.

Notre Dame is locked into the ACC and really can't join the B1G, even if they wanted to at this point.

It would not be impossible that ND and BC would have to join an ACC hockey conference (maybe something like say... Syracuse, Florida State, Pitt, and Miami) sometime in the distant future if collegiate Hockey were to continue to grow.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      You’re still misunderstanding. A full-time Big Ten member, of which ND and JHU are not, must participate in the Big Ten conference for a sport, if the school participates in that sport, and a big ten conference exists for that sport.
                      I understand your point, and believe you're correct about the specific rule you're emphasizing. I just think it's secondary to this particular conversation, if not irrelevant. The issue at hand is whether to allow affiliate (part-time) members into the league, not whether to prevent full members from wandering out and competing elsewhere.

I did object to some of your wording. For schools that only sponsor Club Hockey, the suggestion that such sports "don't exist" on those campuses is needlessly disrespectful, IMHO. But that "disagreement" is mostly a matter of semantics. I understood what you meant.

If I'm misunderstanding anybody, it's HockeyBuckeye. Obviously we interpreted his opening remarks very differently. But getting into an endless debate about what the "Founding Father" of the thread intended isn't worth the time. If he wants to further clarify, he will.

Very quickly, my specific question for HockeyBuckeye is still this: If a full member school legitimately decides to opt out of sponsoring certain B1G Varsity sports, does that school start looking like a part time member? If yes, presumably HockeyBuckeye would have a problem with that. I'd still be interested in his response, if he cares to give one.

Comment

All that matters is football and basketball. And even then, not really. The big ten is really just members of the CIC. Sports are entirely secondary.

As an aside, your comment about club sports was particularly eye roll worthy. It wasn’t needlessly disrespectful. The five people who might care about it aren’t in this conversation and none of that sub-D3 clap trap matters. Those sports matter about the same as much as the five-member A/V club.

Now that was needlessly disrespectful.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Just my paranoid opinion, but the big 10 wishes Notre Dame was a member. My crazy self believes that was a big part of the whole big 10 hockey conference formation. Money and success with hockey is meaningless to the conference but all worth it if they can use it to coaxe ND into the conference for the rest of the sports.
                          I wanna go fast!

Comment

No they are not. Bring back to hockey east where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Notre Dame is the one that got away for the Big Ten.

They’re a quintessential big ten school. Miswesr, good academics, rife with cash, and name recognition. Notre Dame isn’t a research powerhouse like the rest of the big ten schools though.
                              The one that got away? B1G was open to ND, but they simply had too many demands. B1G doesn't grovel to anyone. They told ND no thanks. The whole hockey thing simple was good for both entities. The B1G needed another team and the BE didn't treat ND very well so they enjoyed leaving the BE. Now the BE sucks and they are wishing they hadn't treated ND so badly. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                                No they are not. Bring back to hockey east where they belong.

Sarcasm is ineffective on the internet, especially when you use the wrong emoji...

Check a map. But at the same time I could take or leave Notre Dame. Even though they are in the B1G TEN Hockey Conference I do not consider them a B1G TEN team. I guess it works for hockey only.
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X