Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 135

Thread: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,547

    Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    When we were both CCHA members that was an entirely different situation.
    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    7,061

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    When we were both CCHA members that was an entirely different situation.
    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.
    Better fit in the Big 10 than Hockey East.

  3. #3
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,173

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I was coming here to say the same thing
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  5. #5
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Notre Dame is the one that got away for the Big Ten.

    Theyíre a quintessential big ten school. Miswesr, good academics, rife with cash, and name recognition. Notre Dame isnít a research powerhouse like the rest of the big ten schools though.

  6. #6
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,218

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    "sport"
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm sure you're not alone. But for my part, I'm very pleased that Notre Dame is a member of our hockey conference. No mixed feelings at all.

    When we were both CCHA members that was an entirely different situation.
    How so? Granted, it's not an identical situation. But since we're talking feelings: I thought it was great that Notre Dame was a CCHA member. Losing the hockey partnership with the Fighting Irish was one of the downsides of forming the B1G Hockey Conference. Then, when the deal was reached for Notre Dame to rejoin us in hockey, my honest reaction was "Welcome Home."

    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.
    So you're prepared to kick out Wisconsin for not having a baseball team?

    How about the five schools where Men's Soccer isn't a Varsity sport. Bye-Bye?

    By the time we get done with all of the expulsions, we might be competing as an independent!

  8. #8
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Bad argument. Those sports donít exist at those schools.

    The original point is that those sports DO exist at Notre Dame and we donít force them in for all.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's good on one hand to get an extra school added to our diminutive ranks but I have mixed feelings on schools who are in the conference for ONE sport only.
    When we were both CCHA members that was an entirely different situation.
    Logic would seem to dictate that if you aren't in for ALL sports you shouldn't be considered a conference member.
    I can't say that I'm thrilled about it but the B1G TEN needed some help in Hockey. Same with Lacrosse and John Hopkins as Happy pointed out. Notre Dame will never join the B1G in football, if they did that would be stupid financially for them. As I said I'm not thrilled but I don't complain about it much. I can see the reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Bad argument. Those sports donít exist at those schools.

    The original point is that those sports DO exist at Notre Dame and we donít force them in for all.
    Well, I don't have ESP. On further review, maybe HockeyBuckeye's first sentence (Post #1) can be read your way. Maybe. But I don't think the third sentence can. When all becomes "ALL," I don't see a lot of wriggle room.

    Setting aside the question of who's been "bad," let's deal with the disagreement. If I understand it correctly, your position is that as long as a member school participates in most Big Ten sports, but has no program at all in the rest, that's OK. Apparently I'm also to assume that Club Sports "don't exist." But letting a school participate in B1G Varsity sports is unacceptable -- if they offer one or more Varsity sports in another league.

    Whatever the merits, that's not the current rule. As others have pointed out, the inclusion of Johns Hopkins in the Lacrosse league set a precedent that one sport membership is OK. Still want to outlaw the practice? Go for it. Work through the system. Try to get a new rule passed. State your case!

    Beyond "mixed feelings," what specific problems do you see with single sport membership? I look at the two deals that have been struck, and see a win-win situation for all concerned. Maybe I'm wrong to support those deals. But those wanting a ban need to tell me why. My feeling is that such a ban is a solution in search of a problem.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    144

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Interesting subject and we all know that ND always does what's best for ND and that's fine.

    Notre Dame's primary sports affiliation is with the ACC where they are a full member for all sports except football. In football, they are required to schedule 5 ACC teams each year and every ACC team every five year interval.

    As we all know, no hockey in the ACC except BC.

  12. #12
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,218

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    ACC should claim national titles in hockey
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    far west of boston
    Posts
    133

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    The way I see it Notre Dame is as good as they are due to having spent their formative years in Hockey East. Without that, theyíd be like Michigan State. Stuck in the BIG cellar.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,547

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Perhaps my perspective on this is simply the traditional view. Colleges & Universities were one of two things, either an independent or a conference school. We didn't used to have we'll be in this conference for this sport and another conference for these sports and this one we'll still be independent. The latter is how I perceive Notre Dame.
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any real problem with their hockey team being in but as another stated they're a quintessential big ten school and I don't think it's good for college sports and conferences overall to allow such a patchwork of competition to exist.
    Their desire to keep what control they have keeps them from being a full fledged member of the B1G which I think should have happened a LONG time ago.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Perhaps my perspective on this is simply the traditional view. Colleges & Universities were one of two things, either an independent or a conference school. We didn't used to have we'll be in this conference for this sport and another conference for these sports and this one we'll still be independent. The latter is how I perceive Notre Dame.
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any real problem with their hockey team being in but as another stated they're a quintessential big ten school and I don't think it's good for college sports and conferences overall to allow such a patchwork of competition to exist.
    Their desire to keep what control they have keeps them from being a full fledged member of the B1G which I think should have happened a LONG time ago.
    We don't live in "used to be's anymore..." Seriously. If you change this, it will turn the entire conference structure upside down. It's not that I don't agree, but we're not going back to the way it was. I didn't want to see the Big East (one of the greatest basketball conferences ever) break up either, but stuff happens...

  16. #16
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,344

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobeydog View Post
    Notre Dame's primary sports affiliation is with NBC.
    I fixed the typo in your quote above...

    Truth be told, Notre Dame is actually a member of the WCHA and we've had them participating in a trial "loan-a-team" program since 1981. (This special program is current scheduled to end following the 2030-2031 season.) Once the Title IX crowd gets their way in North Dakota, and the men's team folds as well, we'll be moving Notre Dame into the NCHC for a two-year stint, 2021-2023.

    After that is completed, they will become one of the charter teams of the PAC10 hockey conference along with ASU. There will be 20 conference games scheduled per season with Notre Dame and ASU each listed as the home team for 10 games. However since ASU still won't have a rink by then, all games will actually be played at Notre Dame. The teams will simply swap jersey colors home/road for each game. The 20 game conference schedule of the PAC10 hockey conference also allows for ample non-conference games to be scheduled.

    Following the 2030-31 season, Notre Dame will be released from the WCHA to play as an independent, but in an ironic twist will only play intra-squad games going forward. All games will be covered lived in prime time on NBC in 3D ultra-vision with NBCSN simulcast proving additional camera angles, color commentary and running "Rudy" via picture-in-picture during all games.

    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    144

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    ACC should claim national titles in hockey
    Yes! How about some BC hockey players in those ACC ads that run every 5 minutes during national telecasts.

    As an aside, has Syracuse or Pitt ever considered D-1 hockey? Any Terry Pegula types out there?

  18. #18
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,357

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    We don't live in "used to be's anymore..." Seriously. If you change this, it will turn the entire conference structure upside down. It's not that I don't agree, but we're not going back to the way it was. I didn't want to see the Big East (one of the greatest basketball conferences ever) break up either, but stuff happens...
    In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  19. #19
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Well, I don't have ESP. On further review, maybe HockeyBuckeye's first sentence (Post #1) can be read your way. Maybe. But I don't think the third sentence can. When all becomes "ALL," I don't see a lot of wriggle room.

    Setting aside the question of who's been "bad," let's deal with the disagreement. If I understand it correctly, your position is that as long as a member school participates in most Big Ten sports, but has no program at all in the rest, that's OK. Apparently I'm also to assume that Club Sports "don't exist." But letting a school participate in B1G Varsity sports is unacceptable -- if they offer one or more Varsity sports in another league.

    Whatever the merits, that's not the current rule. As others have pointed out, the inclusion of Johns Hopkins in the Lacrosse league set a precedent that one sport membership is OK. Still want to outlaw the practice? Go for it. Work through the system. Try to get a new rule passed. State your case!

    Beyond "mixed feelings," what specific problems do you see with single sport membership? I look at the two deals that have been struck, and see a win-win situation for all concerned. Maybe I'm wrong to support those deals. But those wanting a ban need to tell me why. My feeling is that such a ban is a solution in search of a problem.
    Youíre still misunderstanding. A full-time Big Ten member, of which ND and JHU are not, must participate in the Big Ten conference for a sport, if the school participates in that sport, and a big ten conference exists for that sport.

  20. #20
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,015

    Re: Is Notre Dame REALLY a Big Ten school?

    Quote Originally Posted by hobeydog View Post
    Yes! How about some BC hockey players in those ACC ads that run every 5 minutes during national telecasts.

    As an aside, has Syracuse or Pitt ever considered D-1 hockey? Any Terry Pegula types out there?
    Syracuse has D1 women's hockey.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

    Men's: 21-21-4
    Women's: 10-16-6

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •